Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another name to watch, Ryan Odom at Utah State. They're off to a hot start this year but he was the coach that led UMBC to a first round upset of Virginia.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Does Chuck still have a checkbook?
      He does .. not sure our Athletic Department as much access to it as in the past. He's definitely still donating to other WSU causes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
        With the way the transfer rules have become, there are a large group of people who have lost all interest in college sports whatsoever.
        And those are largely people who support the programs that have become nothing more than farm teams for the big football schools and conferences. The fans supporting the schools who the beneficiaries of the current system generally don't mind it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Gotta have the money to pay it .. We are still paying 3G .. if we fire HCIB .. we will still be paying him .. that would be nearly 3 mil in payments to coaches not coaching if we fire him this year .. can we afford another another 3+ mil to get a proven coach? I don't think the money is there ...
          The money may or may not be there - but we are slowly sinking into the abyss. Maybe an "end-loaded" contract ? #justspitballing

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post

The money may or may not be there - but we are slowly sinking into the abyss. Maybe an "end-loaded" contract ? #justspitballing
            Colorado hired primetime absent the money in the bank...

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan_realist View Post

Yeah that's the problem was the team had a couple games get cancelled and won the conference, then the players all rallied behind him and really wanted to keep him. To be honest most, if not everyone, wanted to keep him. Honestly it's a shame that we did so well that season because the repercussions will be felt for years now. That would've been an extremely attractive job and to be honest I still think it will be when it opens up.
              Are you referring to the players or fans? If players, yes. If fans, maybe. If ones on this board, not so much. That doesn't mean that most here didn't congratulate him when the hiring was announced. Congratulations to him and preferring someone else are two separate things.

Comment

• America was in a "woke" period. HCIB put WSU in a position where Boatright had no choice but to offer him a job. NFW should he have offered IB THAT contract, and in fact it is soooo stoooopid that it almost appears to be an intentional attempt to torpedo the university.
                Last edited by pinstripers; December 16, 2022, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• Just hope Tylor Eldridge isn’t a casualty while waiting to turn this program. Would be a huge loss.

Comment

• Look at the CKA court last year versus the court this year. Does anyone notice anything different?

I have zero insight as to whether Mr. Koch is interested in bankrolling the athletic department, but I do know that Kevin was at the Koch Industries offices early, early in the morning on July 5 (the day after a LOUD late-night holiday). He likely wouldn’t do that to talk to some upper management VP. He was likely talking to Mr. Koch. No idea how the conversation went, but I’m curious to see the Koch logo now on the court.
                    78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Chuck doesn't need to be part of group, he is his own group
                      Hopefully this tugs on ole Chuckie’s heart…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Even with the bad timing of Marshall's resignation relative to the start of the 2020-21 season and the need to name an interim head coach to start that season, it still doesn't mean that a coaching search couldn't have taken place at that time. Once the articles came out and there was talk, any AD worth his salt would have started brainstorming candidates. Then once GM was officially no longer the coach, phone calls and interviews could have been made with those candidates. These things can happen in days. Bob Richey had come off of two really good seasons at Furman. He would have had the head coaching experience to maintain things so the program didn't drop off. Keeping IB as interim for so long is what forced the AD's hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                          Look at the CKA court last year versus the court this year. Does anyone notice anything different?

I have zero insight as to whether Mr. Koch is interested in bankrolling the athletic department, but I do know that Kevin was at the Koch Industries offices early, early in the morning on July 5 (the day after a LOUD late-night holiday). He likely wouldn’t do that to talk to some upper management VP. He was likely talking to Mr. Koch. No idea how the conversation went, but I’m curious to see the Koch logo now on the court.
                          While I agree those are new .. I've also seen the Koch Logo prominently displayed at other Universities athletic events (KSU, Duke etc)

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
                            Even with the bad timing of Marshall's resignation relative to the start of the 2020-21 season and the need to name an interim head coach to start that season, it still doesn't mean that a coaching search couldn't have taken place at that time. Once the articles came out and there was talk, any AD worth his salt would have started brainstorming candidates. Then once GM was officially no longer the coach, phone calls and interviews could have been made with those candidates. These things can happen in days. Bob Richey had come off of two really good seasons at Furman. He would have had the head coaching experience to maintain things so the program didn't drop off. Keeping IB as interim for so long is what forced the AD's hand.
                            Highly doubtful that any current coach was going to consider WSU until after the season.

Though with the fuster cluck that Jans dealt with that season (having to practically live away from Las Cruces for a decent length of time due to COVID regulations within New Mexico), if WSU would have said “take the job right now in November or risk us not considering you in the offseason,” he might have accepted since he was familiar with Wichita and really wanted the job.

78-65

Comment

• I think Coach Brown gets the job done. The team has improved the last 4 games. Guys are making shots and the turnovers have decreased (last couple of games). Tomorrow will be a chance for a quality win.

What about the coach at Oral Roberts? Paul Mills was a top assistant at Baylor and has taken Oral Roberts to a sweet sixteen. They have been pretty good the last two years and are 9 and 3 this year.

Comment

• Another train of thought is get a coach that can be hired cheaply and take the couple million you save on him and use it for NIL deals for the players. Logic being you will be able to sign great players and keep them. Jimmys more important than the Joey, or whatever that saying is, lol.

Not saying that is my choice of strategies but it is an interesting one.

Comment

Working...
                                X