Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firing a HC from his first job as a head coach, just to hire somebody who has never been a head coach, is not a home run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
      Perhaps a view of defensive efficiency should be included also.

He inherited a team with one player who shot above 32%.

In four months he built a team from nothing to making the NCAA tournament. WSU roster as it was is an 8 seed at worse with Chris Jans as coach.

While highly unlikely we have the money needed to buy out his contract, we would be fortunate to have him back at Wichita State.
      No offense but are you guys forgetting earlier in the season when we played really good defense and the offense was terrible? We were below .500. Just playing good defense doesn't solve everything. You have to have an offense as well.

Comment

• Since Sampson has already interviewed and no decisions have been made it feels like he's plan B/C.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
          Firing a HC from his first job as a head coach, just to hire somebody who has never been a head coach, is not a home run.
          What if it was Tang?

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan_realist View Post

No offense but are you guys forgetting earlier in the season when we played really good defense and the offense was terrible? We were below .500. Just playing good defense doesn't solve everything. You have to have an offense as well.
            No offense taken. His offense isn’t terrible. It’s top 1/3 in each of the ratings shared.

His defense is even better. The goal is to score more points than you allow. Not just limit points or in your argument score points.

If offense was ranked in middle or bottom, that would change the narrative.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
              Firing a HC from his first job as a head coach, just to hire somebody who has never been a head coach, is not a home run.
              Firing Brown as a stand alone statement was a home run! Now it's TBD if it's going to be a grand slam or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

What if it was Tang?
                Some people refuse to see the difference between those who have been groomed to be a HC and those who haven't.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I don't think so. Since he's just an assistant, its not the same as a head coach leaving when it comes to a distraction. I'm sure the players will be more excited than disappointed if Kellen gets a head coach spot.
                  Just last year ECU hired Mike Schwartz while Tennessee was still in the tournament.

Comment

No offense taken. His offense isn’t terrible. It’s top 1/3 in each of the ratings shared.

His defense is even better. The goal is to score more points than you allow. Not just limit points or in your argument score points.

Though, where his offense is ranked will prevent any deep tourney runs is my point. He will need to work that out. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that recruiting offense to NMSU is hard and this was his first year at MSU. Just saying it would be something I would hope he would find a way to improve because no matter how good your defense is .. you have to be better than top 1/3rd offense to make any noise in March. He's still my 1a or 1b option IMO

Comment

Since Sampson has already interviewed and no decisions have been made it feels like he's plan B/C.
                      That's my thought, jans to turn down, then Sampson. And I do think either would be home runs.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

Just last year ECU hired Mike Schwartz while Tennessee was still in the tournament.
                        It seemed like Danny Manning going to Tulsa was known even while KU was still going in Final Four in 2012.

I think I remember hearing that Chris would have still been announced as Bowling Green coach that same week even if we had beaten Kentucky in 2014.

So yeah, not uncommon for assistants to get HC jobs announced even with season continuing.
                        78-65

Comment

I guess in context top third isn't as bad as I thought. I forget sometimes there's like 375 basketball teams lol. I do agree though that he would need some extra offensive help for sure. But that's the beauty of assistant coaches.

Comment

• I like what I have read about Sampson I am just not excited about being a stepping stone for such a young up and comer. He sure could be the next Tang from what I read.

Comment

Since Sampson has already interviewed and no decisions have been made it feels like he's plan B/C.
                              The information that Sampson had interviewed was bad info. It was later clarified Sampson has not interviewed, but his agent has reached out for a hope to be interviewed.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan_realist View Post

The only reason we played "really good defense" early in the year is that we were playing a bunch of teams with "really bad offenses".

Comment

Working...
                                X