Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
    Criticize Marshall all you want, but that man could rub elbows like nobody else.
    He could rub 'em and bend 'em with the best...
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

HOLY ****! Is this true?
      Wouldn't shock me if so.

Comment

• Not Griffin
        Last edited by Ashockalypse; December 28, 2022, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Rojas blows!

Comment

• Maybe Heiar
            Last edited by Ashockalypse; December 28, 2022, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• Wrong thread boys!!!

Comment

• Jans
                Last edited by Ashockalypse; December 28, 2022, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• I know this probably a pipe dream, but imagine if Kentucky fires Calipari and we get him.

Comment

• Fred Van Vleet - Whenever he might want the job.

With his notoriety and experience as a point guard in college and in the NBA, he would stand a very good chance of quickly turning our program around, and most likely. possibly taking it to an even higher level than GM did.

And with his knowledge, experience, and personality, there should be no need for him to have been an assistant coach or head coach. He has the basketball knowledge and experience gained under GM, and playing in the same role as a Point Guard in the .NBA.

Plus there is every reason to believe he would be an outstanding recruiter as well, and would draw level 5 point guards in droves, to learn and play for him, as well as other highly talented young players at the other four positions.

I Further believe our new AD should sit down with him and ascertain whether he would strongly consider, or even commit to coming back in the future as our Head Coach.

Not sure how this could be handled if he did agree. We need to have a new coach in the near future, and obviously, who ever would want the job, would want to have a contract with several years guaranteed.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                      Fred Van Vleet - Whenever he might want the job.

With his notoriety and experience as a point guard in college and in the NBA, he would stand a very good chance of quickly turning our program around, and most likely. possibly taking it to an even higher level than GM did.

And with his knowledge, experience, and personality, there should be no need for him to have been an assistant coach or head coach. He has the basketball knowledge and experience gained under GM, and playing in the same role as a Point Guard in the .NBA.

Plus there is every reason to believe he would be an outstanding recruiter as well, and would draw level 5 point guards in droves, to learn and play for him, as well as other highly talented young players at the other four positions.

I Further believe our new AD should sit down with him and ascertain whether he would strongly consider, or even commit to coming back in the future as our Head Coach.

Not sure how this could be handled if he did agree. We need to have a new coach in the near future, and obviously, who ever would want the job, would want to have a contract with several years guaranteed.
                      Fred will be 29 in February. He might still have another decade left in his playing career. Who knows what will happen in that time? He wouldn’t be in a position to commit to anything involving coaching at WSU.
                      78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
                        Wrong thread boys!!!
                        I was convinced by the 2nd or 3rd game. IB hasn't figured that out yet.

Comment

• If we're going to have the conversation (which is pointless speculation because this isn't even something that will be happening within the next 5-10 years), I just don't understand the love for Fred as a head coach. I mean, yeah, he's one of our great players, but a former player being successful as a coach at the school they played at is the exception, not the rule. All of these guys have coached their alma mater and it either didn't go well or isn't going well:

Clyde Drexler
                          Patrick Ewing
                          Chris Mullin
                          Kenny Payne

Jury is still out on Penny Hardaway and Juwan Howard. Howard is not trending in a great direction. Fred Hoiberg is probably the most successful coach recently, and Jim Boeheim, who I didn't realize played at Syracuse, stands alone. Hubert Davis had a fluky Final Four run with UNC, but I doubt that level of success continues. Mike Woodson has made strides for IU in his two years. It seems that the former players who are the most successful are the ones who spent years grinding as an assistant or head coach at other places, not former players who take a head job having never coached before.

Heck, even just hiring great players as coaches is a mixed bag. Players who were either college or pro hall-of-famers like Isiah Thomas and Danny Manning come to mind.

Goes back to the nepotism aspect. You can't just hire a former player and hope they transfer by osmosis the culture that existed when they were players. It doesn't work.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                            If we're going to have the conversation (which is pointless speculation because this isn't even something that will be happening within the next 5-10 years), I just don't understand the love for Fred as a head coach. I mean, yeah, he's one of our great players, but a former player being successful as a coach at the school they played at is the exception, not the rule.

It doesn't work.
                            On top of that, if Fred ever coaches at the college level, something has gone horribly wrong with his NBA career. I hope for his sake he never, ever coaches college ball. Fred needs to just keep playing in the NBA until they won't let him play anymore, then focus on family and whatever philanthropy he and his wife are interested in.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

On top of that, if Fred ever coaches at the college level, something has gone horribly wrong with his NBA career. I hope for his sake he never, ever coaches college ball. Fred needs to just keep playing in the NBA until they won't let him play anymore, then focus on family and whatever philanthropy he and his wife are interested in.
                              Good points. I have NBA All-Access (old farts have a lot of spare time) on my Cox (Cox Sucks) package. I watch nearly all of Fred’s and Landry’s games. Fred and Landry are both out (Fred back issue and Landry achilleas); I hope I’m wrong, but I’m not sure how long Fred’s body will hold up; he’s struggling from three and I’m thinking his body’s slowly wearing down. He’s on the floor (falls) more than anyone else I’ve seen in the NBA; his body takes a nightly beating… he’s been like a Timex, but all Timex’s eventually wear out.

Sorry, where was I? I would be ‘shocked’ if Fred ever coached here or at the college level. NBA coach, maybe? Fred is a successful businessman and has a line of clothing. He’ll play until his body won’t take it any more. 5-7 years tops. If he ever decided to coach here, I wouldn’t bet against him having success. He’s smart and would “Bet on Himself” and we’d have a team capable of winning a national championship. Just watch the Raptors; Fred’s a coach on the floor and on the bench. He’s simply a ‘special’ little dude.

I’m confident ADKS will make the right decision at the end of this season; he can’t wait, too much is at stake and he knows it. He’ll ‘shoot for the stars’ and make a great hire that will immediately reenergize the fan-base; a fan-base currently on life-support. The next coach will embrace NIL and rub elbows with the “Movers, Shakers and Shockers”.
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Better chance Fred takes up high school coaching in Rockford than returning to Doodah

Comment

Working...
                                X