Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post
    two names will get me back…

chris jans
    greg heier

they have an inferno of fire and grit that is wichita state
    Unfortunately we have no chance of bringing Jans back. I truly think we have a better chance of getting Forbes back simply because Wake Forest is an extremely hard place to win at, and compared to other conferences the ACC doesn't have as big of a conference payout that we might actually have a better chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      If people aren't coming because they're still pissed about 3G getting fired, will they ever come back? I didn't realize we had so many bandwagon fans in Wichita.
      Obviously, 3G had big donors (many his friends) in his corner and no doubt the program took a hit financially because of that. However, their numbers were not that large. The numbers also took a hit with Covid and, on its heels, took a hit the following year when a person that had never been a head coach was hired based on winning numbers that were tainted by Covid, PLUS given a bigger contract than was warranted. Add to this, some popular coaching choices were totally overlooked (thank Boatwrong for all of this). Then you had the team's performance in Brown's 1st year as head coach and lastly, the mass exodus of players away from the program and it's "players' coach". That did it for me.

Comment

If people aren't coming because they're still pissed about 3G getting fired, will they ever come back? I didn't realize we had so many bandwagon fans in Wichita.
        Ah yes, the "If you don't believe like me you must be a bandwagon fan." post. Bravo sir...

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan_realist View Post

Unfortunately we have no chance of bringing Jans back. I truly think we have a better chance of getting Forbes back simply because Wake Forest is an extremely hard place to win at, and compared to other conferences the ACC doesn't have as big of a conference payout that we might actually have a better chance.
          I do not disagree with you.

However I do think it’s worth mentioning that our 2 biggest signees last year or two picked us over Mississippi State. Just an interesting point.

Comment

For me it 's because we have an incompetent coach. That's the only factor. I'll still watch on TV, but I'm not spending any money on it until the problem is corrected. I realize there may be other factors, but I think the interest comes back quickly upon the hiring of a competent coach that the fanbase has confidence in. There will likely be a couple rough years at the beginning, no different than with Marshall, but there will at least be confidence that we have the right person to turn things around. That confidence is exactly zero right now for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan_realist View Post
              God Bless you for doing this. Many of these guys overlap on my wish list but also introduced some new guys too. I'm very interested in Bob Richey as he's been at Furman long enough to prove he can win year after year and would recruit the areas that I think we can get underrated guys. Good list and I think they all will be worthy of watching this season.
              Yeah, looking at that list, really like Bob Richey. Great winning percentage, proven head coach for seven years, and he's young and handsome. What's not to like? Has some interesting overlaps with Gregg Marshall as well, due to the South Carolina connections.

What I don't understand is why he wasn't hired prior to the start of the 2020-2021 season. Marshall coached his last game in March 2020. There was an entire summer to do a job search. Instead we elevated an assistant to interim head coach. Nothing against Isaac Brown, but he had never been a head coach before. Wichita State is not a program that brings in head coaches that have never been head coaches before. It's a destination job for head coaches who have earned their stripes elsewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post

Wichita State is not a program that brings in head coaches that have never been head coaches before. It's a destination job for head coaches who have earned their stripes elsewhere.
                Mike Cohen says hi.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post

Yeah, looking at that list, really like Bob Richey. Great winning percentage, proven head coach for seven years, and he's young and handsome. What's not to like? Has some interesting overlaps with Gregg Marshall as well, due to the South Carolina connections.

What I don't understand is why he wasn't hired prior to the start of the 2020-2021 season. Marshall coached his last game in March 2020. There was an entire summer to do a job search. Instead we elevated an assistant to interim head coach. Nothing against Isaac Brown, but he had never been a head coach before. Wichita State is not a program that brings in head coaches that have never been head coaches before. It's a destination job for head coaches who have earned their stripes elsewhere.
                  All the stuff that happened with fHCGM took place in the fall of 2020, so as a result they had to designate an interim basically literally as the season was starting. Due to a number of tough games being cancelled, and an inordinate amount of luck, the team that year won the AAC. As a result, Boatsink gave IB a ridiculously long contract with no escape hatch. And here we are...
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

I do not disagree with you.

However I do think it’s worth mentioning that our 2 biggest signees last year or two picked us over Mississippi State. Just an interesting point.
                    With their 10-0 start this season, if they at least hang around the middle of the conference, that won't be the case in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

All the stuff that happened with fHCGM took place in the fall of 2020, so as a result they had to designate an interim basically literally as the season was starting. Due to a number of tough games being cancelled, and an inordinate amount of luck, the team that year won the AAC. As a result, Boatsink gave IB a ridiculously long contract with no escape hatch. And here we are...
                      That team was good because they had 3G coaching them up until the start of the season. His coaching carried thru most of the year. Now that the team doesn’t have his influence, we’re stuck with ugly, undisciplined basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

That team was good because they had 3G coaching them up until the start of the season. His coaching carried thru most of the year. Now that the team doesn’t have his influence, we’re stuck with ugly, undisciplined basketball.
                        It wasn’t so much that the 2020-21 team was that good. They just won the 50/50 games that last season’s team lost. As I always say, there’s a fine line between winning and losing.

78-65

Comment

A lot of big, big donors are pissed how that all went down. I mean we went from national power to this because of it. If the acting AD would’ve been on top of the situation and handled it, GM is probably still the head coach today.

Another athletic department blunder that kinda was a big deal. So yah, there’s some people still pissed about that. People aren’t gonna just blindly handover their money if they don’t trust the athletic department. Hopefully the AD situation has been rectified but it’ll never fix what we had. That might be unforgivable for some.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

It wasn’t so much that the 2020-21 team was that good. They just won the 50/50 games that last season’s team lost. As I always say, there’s a fine line between winning and losing.
                            I choose to think Gregg was the extra “punch” in that team, giving us the toughness to win those

Comment

• I wouldn't count Jans out. WSU is a Basketball First school. Mississippi St - not so much

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

A lot of big, big donors are pissed how that all went down. I mean we went from national power to this because of it. If the acting AD would’ve been on top of the situation and handled it, GM is probably still the head coach today.

Another athletic department blunder that kinda was a big deal. So yah, there’s some people still pissed about that. People aren’t gonna just blindly handover their money if they don’t trust the athletic department. Hopefully the AD situation has been rectified but it’ll never fix what we had. That might be unforgivable for some.
                                I suppose we’re back to the loyal 4,000 going to the games because they enjoy shocker basketball. We have a small faction still pissed about 3G/ Boatright, a faction that doesn’t like IB and his style and a faction that we lost during Covid they may not ever return if they haven’t returned now. There are roughly 6,000 fans that will return if and when we return to a national powerhouse type program. I would call those the bandwagoners. The Cohen, Thompson and Smithson teams were worse than the current team and we were probably pulling the same 4-5K fans to those games.

Comment

Working...
                                X