Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by btp1029 View Post

Where did you see Mark 87th on an all times win list? He has 476 victories. He's not on the NCAA list of the top 125 coaches.
    I think the NCAA.com list includes wins at schools that aren't or weren't in D1. ie. Lewis & Clark, Rowan, Christian Brothers, Bethel (TN), Okla Baptist, Cal U (PA), Central MO, Muskingum (Muskingum???), etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

I’d take 103…
      Samesies...

Comment

• I wouldn’t be thrilled for Turgeon but I’d welcome him over the current.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Here’s my thing. This is a completely different era, where recruiting is even more important than before, for the sole fact that you need to be able to rerecruit your own players (stupid, I know).

I consider Marshall and co to be superb at player development, but I think it’s going to require a high level at both. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be strong competitors for 4* players AND those Diamond in the roughs.

Whoever we get next needs to be reflective of the new era, and is exciting enough that keeps the donor dollars coming to afford quality players and a winning, lasting culture. To me, that’s not Turg.

Comment

• Turg knows how to get the donor $$. Don’t forget what he inherited and what he did with it. And to be honest, the uni leadership was fine being “at that level” at that time.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
              Turg knows how to get the donor $$. Don’t forget what he inherited and what he did with it. And to be honest, the uni leadership was fine being “at that level” at that time.
              Yep. One of Mark’s college buddies is Jeff Johnson, who is tight with Tom Devlin.

I wouldn’t be worried about big money donors.

78-65

Comment

• I guarantee Mark has been contacted at least informally from his old friends here in Wichita.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  I wouldn’t be thrilled for Turgeon but I’d welcome him over the current.
                  Yep yep yep.

Comment

• You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• If Coach MT was ever hired again as our head coach....the first sentence I'd pay to hear him say while stepping up to the news conference microphone after being introduced as the new coach at Wichita St. University is.......

"Thank you ShockerNation! I'm glad to be BACK and I've MISSED you! I want you all to know......at this university and AT THIS LEVEL....we're competing for a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!"

...and then half-smiling while the room cheers and the band jams the low brass...confidently walk off the stage to go recruit.

Watch the NIL money come pouring in! And see Koch Arena full to the rafters once again!!!

Go SHOCKS!!!
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I was writing up something saying I'd hope ADKS would at least try to swing for the fences and land an established younger coach than Turgeon ... like Forbes or Jans. Then I googled and realized Turgeon is only 57 .. which is 4 years older than Jans and 1 year younger than forbes. I did not realize that at all and was thinking he was in his 60s. At 57, you could still expect the better part of a decade of coaching if things were going good. So I'm warming up to him as a very solid candidate that could instantly bring in the funds and experience. At minimum, stabilize the ship and get it going back the right direction then hopefully have a graceful transition with a retirement.

Comment

• ^^^yep^^^ - same.
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

You don’t want Marshall or Turgeon then you list 3 lesser coaches and one that would not take the job. ?????
                            "[T] he point is isn't the names, it the size of the net.

So many here want us to have a coaching search no larger than the one that ended with Isaac Brown. We've learned the wrong lesson if we think our success comes from the familiar; staying with what we know landed us in this mess. We had two actual coaching searches that each propelled us further and one failure to search that ruined us.

Keep in mind what Marshall and Turgeon looked like before they coached here. That the type of candidate is what we can't afford to ignore.

Comment

• I am close to hopping on the Turgeon bandwagon.

That is, if CoC, Pitino (either), DeVries, and several others say no first
                              Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Originally posted by cjp27 View Post
                                If Saal does a national search and finds Turgeon to be the best option, I'm good with it. The positives far outweigh the negatives. I know some people still are burnt up about him leaving and the "at this level" comments. Time heals all wounds and a few 20+ win seasons and NCAA appearances probably would as well.
                                "At this level" is frequently brought up when referring to Turgeon. Why don't we remember "Wichita State is a major program in a mid-major conference."?

Comment

Working...
                                X