Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for interviews aren't orders or legal obligations. And if they didn't have council with them, nothing was going to happen anyway.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I need to see an article with a timeline. Every article I see has conflicts with another article in a key way. Or leaves important information out. Or doesn't explain the timeline at all. It's too difficult for me to make sense or draw an opinion of any of it.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Still think GH did the right thing for his guys. Police didn’t officially detain anyone and the players used their rights not to talk. Not seeing any wrongdoing here.
        Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

This is the latest I've been able to find on the situation.

https://myfox8.com/sports/police-ser...n=socialflow&a mp;utm_source=t.co

Based on the information available in the different articles, it appears that the police obtained all of the items they requested on the first day of their investigation (Nov 19th). Per the article, "According to the police report, the three players told head coach Greg Heiar the gun was located in a room on the hotel’s second floor; Heiar then called Taylor and directed him to retrieve it and hand it over to the police." On Nov 30th, NMSU got served search warrants for the first time for additional items related to the case.

As far as the thought they were running from the police, in a situation where someone has been murdered, the coach's priority would likely be to get the rest of the team to safety and leave to avoid any type of retaliation. It makes sense that the assistant coach was left behind due to a member of the team still being in the hospital, and it sounds like he handed over the items once they knew where they could be located.

Comment

Originally posted by WINGdingBALLfling View Post
            This is the latest I've been able to find on the situation.

https://myfox8.com/sports/police-ser...n=socialflow&a mp;utm_source=t.co

Based on the information available in the different articles, it appears that the police obtained all of the items they requested on the first day of their investigation (Nov 19th). Per the article, "According to the police report, the three players told head coach Greg Heiar the gun was located in a room on the hotel’s second floor; Heiar then called Taylor and directed him to retrieve it and hand it over to the police." On Nov 30th, NMSU got served search warrants for the first time for additional items related to the case.

As far as the thought they were running from the police, in a situation where someone has been murdered, the coach's priority would likely be to get the rest of the team to safety and leave to avoid any type of retaliation. It makes sense that the assistant coach was left behind due to a member of the team still being in the hospital, and it sounds like he handed over the items once they knew where they could be located.
            Thats how I read it, but SB Shock said it took two weeks to hand over the gun. So then I was really confused?

Comment

The more that comes out, the more it seems that Greg conducted himself in a solid manner. Things could come out that imply otherwise, but it seems that he had his head on pretty straight, and much better than most people, and most CBB coaches for that matter.

That may not matter to some people (you should see the UNM fans tearing the team down because of this - also indicative of the rivalry there - it's HEATED), but it ultimately matters.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Thats how I read it, but SB Shock said it took two weeks to hand over the gun. So then I was really confused?
                I thought his comment was odd because everything I've read seemed to indicate it was turned over that night or the next day or something.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I don't think Greg did anything wrong by telling the police the kids wouldn't speak until they had representation. That is what he should do. His obligation is to the student athletes and the school (his employer). I don't feel like he put up any unneccesary roadblocks by leaving. For all we know he consulted with the university legal department and was told to get back to campus and get them attorneys. As someone else mentioned, he did not know if the situation was still volatile or if there was someone out to get other players or retatliate.

Comment

All of us (myself included) are making assumptions without all the facts. IMO, it shouldn't have been his decision when to leave town. You hand that over to university counsel and maybe that was the case.

Comment

More on NMSU

The teenager said, “It kind of sucks because I feel like if I would've never called Michael here last night. Brandon would still be alive and you wouldn't have this problem.”

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                        All of us (myself included) are making assumptions without all the facts. IMO, it shouldn't have been his decision when to leave town. You hand that over to university counsel and maybe that was the case.
                        It can be as simple as the staff was just following the schedule? If the police want to arrest or detain some people, why didn't they? Making 20 uninvolved staff and players not get home to their families, jobs, and classes would be just as wrong. I think the only people talking are the police and so articles are slanted from their point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

It can be as simple as the staff was just following the schedule? If the police want to arrest or detain some people, why didn't they? Making 20 uninvolved staff and players not get home to their families, jobs, and classes would be just as wrong. I think the only people talking are the police and so articles are slanted from their point of view.
                          All I'm saying is the smart decision would have been to consult university counsel. Someone freaking died. His own player was shot. This was a very serious incident that very well may cost GH his first big time gig.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

All I'm saying is the smart decision would have been to consult university counsel. Someone freaking died. His own player was shot. This was a very serious incident that very well may cost GH his first big time gig.
                            Yeah, I think the articles say that's what he did?

Edit: Or maybe more accurately he implied he was doing that? I dunno, just not enough details out there.

Comment

As has been stated, GH feared for his family and team and potential retaliation. Sounds like the police officer agreed with him. Seems like media blowing something out of proportion. Shocking!

New Mexico State coach Greg Heiar told a police officer that he feared possible retaliation in the aftermath of a fatal shooting that involved junior forward Mike Peake, according to bodycam footage released to ESPN.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                                As has been stated, GH feared for his family and team and potential retaliation. Sounds like the police officer agreed with him. Seems like media blowing something out of proportion. Shocking!

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...fatal-shooting
                                Have to respectfully disagree media blowing out of proportion. One dead another shot. Not your garden variety cbb story. But hey the consensus on here seems to be no big deal. Bet GH not thinking the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X