Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Where is she from?
    She grew up in the Chicago area. Chris is the one from Iowa. I believe they met while he was an assistant coach at Illinois State.
    78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

MSU basketball had better attendance numbers than WSU.

NCAA Men's Basketball Attendance

Annual Year End Summery for attendance (2022 would be for the 2021-2022 season) only including the years since going the AAC to keep it lite

Wichita St.
      Games - 17
      Attendance - 148,159
      Average - 8,715

Mississippi St.
      Games - 17
      Attendance - 117,663
      Average - 6,921

No Numbers; COVID

Wichita St.
      Games - 19
      Attendance - 195,978
      Average - 10,315

Mississippi St.
      Games - 16
      Attendance - 106,711
      Average - 6,669

Wichita St.
      Games - 15
      Attendance - 152,919
      Average - 10,194

Mississippi St.
      Games - 17
      Attendance - 135,212
      Average - 7,954

Wichita St.
      Games - 16
      Attendance - 172,594
      Average - 10,787

Mississippi St.
      Games - 21
      Attendance - 146,271
      Average - 6,965

No numbers for 2022-2023 yet, so I'll take your claim at face value for this season.

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

If this was true, WSU would have football.
      I said deep pockets. I didn't say they were God.

The Assman

Comment

• Don’t forget ticket sales in SEC do not equal butts in seats. Most FB boosters buy Basketball and Baseball tickets for the points for Better seats, away game packages, and bowl ticket allocations.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

They finished 9th in the conference and got into the tournament. Didn't even have a winning conference record. Didn't hurt their ability this year.

SEC will probably get even more teams

Actually it not. Mississippi State made as the 9th team in conference. SEC is mutlibid conference that just requires you to try to get NCAA bid.

Next year to make it from the AAC you probably will have to win the AAC tournament.

Wichita is hard sell. I suspect there are more and bigger donors at the SEC school.

It is a credit to Jans he was able to talk the seniors into staying. He has an easier path to reload with being a SEC school that has $$$ from TV, tournament, NIL.

At WSU the cupboard will be bare next year, and they won't have any of those advantage.

I believe you all who have your heart set on Jans are going to have a letdown. I try to put myself in Jans shoes, I'm not making that move with $2.4 million + incentives contract from a power 5 conference to move to the AAC that will be back to mid-major status.

I was making a sales pitch here. I didn't realize I had an sec recruiter on board to counter my pitch.
          I hope you have nothing to do with recruiting or sales in any fashion.

​​​​​​Based on the number of candidates, those who say jans is not coming, are probably correct. But can you name one with greater odds?

Comment

• There is one sliver of hope in Jans coming back: Starkville is not what he thought it would be.

Now I have no clue if that statement is true or false, but I do know that was Turgeon’s sentiments of Texas A&M when he almost immediately regretted taking that job. We must hope that he feels basketball is 3rd or 4th fiddle and recruiting to Starkville is much more difficult than he anticipated.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoneStar48 View Post
              I have a good friend from my college days who lives down here. He is a a former Shocker football player. Told me that last month he attended a wedding where both Marshall and Turgeon were in attendance and during a conversation, the talk turned to Brown and his looming departure. When my buddy asked if either would come back, both said they didn't need to coach again, but if they did, it wouldn't be at D1, maybe at the D3 level. Marshall was pretty emphatic that he was done coaching though.

I don't think my buddy was blowing smoke; he isn't the kind to do that and never has before.
              I can see this being true. I think the program needs a hard reset. I know the pull of the past nostalgia and glory is hard to leave in the past but now is the time to redefine this program imo.

Comment

• I couldn't care less about hiring a Coach with past ties, or trying to start fresh.

I just want the best coach we can get regardless. If that person is Jans, Turgeon, Griffin, Sampson or anyone else then so be it.

I don't want us to hire someone just because of past associations and I don't want us to avoid someone just because of that either.

Just go get a guy that seems to be a good fit and seems to be the best guy to get us back to post season play.....etc.
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Sounds like we can take Beard off the list.

Comment

• Originally posted by DwShock View Post
                    Sounds like we can take Beard off the list.
                    I think he was a long shot anyway. I just felt he is a P5 guy and would land a P5 job. Just my opinion.
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      There is one sliver of hope in Jans coming back: Starkville is not what he thought it would be.

Now I have no clue if that statement is true or false, but I do know that was Turgeon’s sentiments of Texas A&M when he almost immediately regretted taking that job. We must hope that he feels basketball is 3rd or 4th fiddle and recruiting to Starkville is much more difficult than he anticipated.
                      Copied from Wikipedia….
                      Critics of the town--as well as rivalry SEC sports fans--would ironically call the town Stark Vegas because of its small size, lack of culture and absence of things to do.

Comment

• Probably was never going to happen here as mentioned above
                        If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• What impact, if any, will the soon-to-be changed membership of the AAC have on the desirability of the Wichita State job?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            What impact, if any, will the soon-to-be changed membership of the AAC have on the desirability of the Wichita State job?
                            Next to none IMO. League is losing the Top Top end of Houston, but is adding multiple teams as good or better than UC and UCF (based on NET this year). It will still be a 2-3 bid league most years, the same way it was before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Next to none IMO. League is losing the Top Top end of Houston, but is adding multiple teams as good or better than UC and UCF (based on NET this year). It will still be a 2-3 bid league most years, the same way it was before.
                              This...100x's this.....

For basketball it will still be a decent to good conference.

Tired of some people making it sound like it will be the SWAC or something. I saw someone say "13th best conference next year" on TSF. Of course those people are mostly crazy anyway. LMAO

Comment

• Here's the selling pitch:

Only one of these programs has shown that you can consistently get to the NCAA tournament and be successful once there.
                                paraphrasing: Want to be an earl in Starkville (behind fball and baseball), or a king in Wichita?

Comment

Working...
                                X