Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
    Here's the selling pitch:

Only one of these programs has shown that you can consistently get to the NCAA tournament and be successful once there.
    paraphrasing: Want to be an earl in Starkville (behind fball and baseball), or a king in Wichita?
    I agree but I don't think you even have to sell it that hard. Jans knows Wichita's worth. And even after one year, I am sure he knows the cons of Starkville. That is the one thing I definitely think we have going for us.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• It's a step down, for sure. Not certain how big a step yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

This...100x's this.....

For basketball it will still be a decent to good conference.

Tired of some people making it sound like it will be the SWAC or something. I saw someone say "13th best conference next year" on TSF. Of course those people are mostly crazy anyway. LMAO
        It's a step down, for sure. Not certain how big a step yet.

Comment

• Agreed. Houston is absolutely a big loss. Cincinnati and UCF are easily replaceable as far as product on the court. Name recognition not quite as much but that can change.

Based on NET, FAU (13), North Texas (38) and UAB (57) were all better than Cincinnati (70) and UCF (71) this year. And this was one of UCF's better years since we've been in the American. Charlotte was a borderline top 100 most of the year.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

It's a step down, for sure. Not certain how big a step yet.
            Not near as dire or drastic as many want to make it out to be. That is for sure.
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• While still a historic program, Cincinnati hasn't accomplished much since losing Mick Cronin in 2019.

Comment

• Next few years will be big for the AAC to gain/keep momentum. If FAU/UAB/UNT keep playing at a high-level, we’ll be fine. There should even be hope they can raise their level with an improved conference. If they drop-off, yikes.

Comment

• It’s time we make the conference the best it can be; the university is expanding and becoming one of the top research institutions in the country. It’s time for athletics to foster also… opportunity is at our doorstep…

Which will it be?

"A rising tide lifts all boats" or "A falling tide sinks all ships.”

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    There is one sliver of hope in Jans coming back: Starkville is not what he thought it would be.

Now I have no clue if that statement is true or false, but I do know that was Turgeon’s sentiments of Texas A&M when he almost immediately regretted taking that job. We must hope that he feels basketball is 3rd or 4th fiddle and recruiting to Starkville is much more difficult than he anticipated.
                    Kinda ironic that Wichita St's one and only recruit (Mr. Mississippi Basketball) turned down both Mississippi schools signed on to play ball at Wichita St. Lol
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      Agreed. Houston is absolutely a big loss. Cincinnati and UCF are easily replaceable as far as product on the court. Name recognition not quite as much but that can change.

Based on NET, FAU (13), North Texas (38) and UAB (57) were all better than Cincinnati (70) and UCF (71) this year. And this was one of UCF's better years since we've been in the American. Charlotte was a borderline top 100 most of the year.
                      UNT didn’t even sniff the tournament with a NET of 38. It’s all about Quad 1 wins. They weren’t even viewed as being on the bubble. Cincinnati and UCF are way more valuable than any of the newcomers.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post

UNT didn’t even sniff the tournament with a NET of 38. It’s all about Quad 1 wins. They weren’t even viewed as being on the bubble. Cincinnati and UCF are way more valuable than any of the newcomers.
                        UNT having a NET of 38 helps the OTHER teams in the league more than it helps them. UC and UCF sitting at 70 and 71 did not help the other teams in the league much.

Comment

Yeah. Those 1-7 and 2-6 records against Quad 1 teams are invaluable... Temple had more Q1 wins than both of them.

FAU was 2-1, North Texas 1-3 and UAB 2-4 in Q1 games. Not sure how you conclude that Cincy and UCF are way more valuable based on your own standard.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Longterm.....maybe. As stated we will see if some of the newcomers can maintain

Short term.....no way

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
                              Here's the selling pitch:

Only one of these programs has shown that you can consistently get to the NCAA tournament and be successful once there.
                              paraphrasing: Want to be an earl in Starkville (behind fball and baseball), or a king in Wichita?
                              Exactly. SEC schools have big names but are football centric. AAC is becoming more basketball centric with the new teams as none and I mean 0 have a hope of making football playoffs, so the focus will be on hoops. Wichita State is king of hoops focused universities in the Midwest.

Comment

Doesn't bring good teams in with good NETs, giving them more opportunities to play more good teams with good NETs seem like a good idea?

If WSU gets back on track and UNT, FAU, and UAB can maintain a level close to this, that give the AAC a solid 5-6 teams every season that can compete for Q1 wins, Top 50 in the NET, and for at large slots (5, including Memphis. 6, if Temple can regain some stability).

The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X