Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    I don't know how reliable this account is, but Taylor Eldridge follows it.

No real surprise. I will be a little disappointed if he is our top choice. But it is something anyway.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      I don't know how reliable this account is, but Taylor Eldridge follows it.

I trust Samurai Sources with my life

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

The idea on its face does not bother me, except that he has a built-in job to leave for, and maybe quickly. I would just assume get someone who we have a shot at keeping for 10-ish years. Even if that is not likely in WSU's spot in today's CBB world.
        I just don't think that is possible with the current state of the program. You want a guy with an upward trajectory. Say within 4-5 years we win an American conference and make the touney 3 out of those 5 years and he leaves us, well then we are a MUCH more desirable job than coming off back to back post-season misses. Then we might be able to positioin ourselves for a better conference depending on how things look then, or maybe can draw a different option that won't be available this time around.

Comment

• Why would we resign ourselves to experimenting, hoping to get that 1 in 20 assistant that can perform at an extremely high level out of the gate?

The fastest way to get our Athletic Department consistently in the black is to field a perennial top-40 caliber team. The surest way to do that? Hire a guy who has done that.

Pay top notch dollar and thrive, or go cheap and don't get the results you want and stay constantly in the red.

That's the choice.

Maybe Kellen is that 1:20 wunderkind? But there's a 95% chance he's not.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan_realist View Post

Shaka Smart would be one that left a P5 job at Texas, though one could argue it was a mutual split
            Now there's a name that hasn't popped up recently.

Comment

• Maybe I am crazy. How many coaches on the AP Top-25 this week are first time head coaches? If there's a lot of them, I'll admit I'm too risk averse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                Maybe I am crazy. How many coaches on the AP Top-25 this week are first time head coaches? If there's a lot of them, I'll admit I'm too risk averse.
                Three in the top 10, IDK if I have the patience to do 25. Terry with Texas (does that count?), Few at Gonzaga and Lloyd at Arizona.

Comment

• We all know the history of Drake basketball which is why I'm surprised there isn't more push for Coach DeVries. In the 5 years prior to DeVries getting the job, Drake Basketball had 3 head coaches and won a total of 55 games. Since HCDD took over, Drake is 122-47 with two conference championships and two appearances in the NCAA Tournament. He hasn't had a losing season or a season under 20 wins in his 5 years (1st time in program history). This Drake team is very senior heavy which could be a reason to see what else is out there.

I've seen some posts about his prior experiences at Creighton is a red flag I hope those are just troll posts, but if not, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard for a reason to not hire a coach. Obviously, Jans is my number one but DD would be a phenomenal hire if given the chance. We haven't even gotten to the fact that DD would be bringing his MVC POY sharp shooting 6'7 Soph. Son to the Chuck.

Comment

• Well, not my first pick (Jans) but his old man surely wants him to succeed and might send us a few good recruits who don't quite make the grade at UH. I'd be afraid Kelvin might use us as a feeder to his program though nabbing our best player each year in the portal. If not Jans, I still like DeVries if his son comes with him for at least one season but he could well be a first round pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      Maybe I am crazy. How many coaches on the AP Top-25 this week are first time head coaches? If there's a lot of them, I'll admit I'm too risk averse.
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I want Bob Richey or Pat Kelsey so extremely bad. Call me crazy but I'd rather them than a lot of the other names that have been talked about

Comment

Three in the top 10, IDK if I have the patience to do 25. Terry with Texas (does that count?), Few at Gonzaga and Lloyd at Arizona.
                          Don't think you can count Few. I think he meant new to being a head coach this year. Unless I misunderstood

Lloyd I would still count just because he came out blazing immediately. He is a good example.

Terry is technically that as well. Although that is basically a Marshall/Brown scenario.

Obviously Tang was very successful right away for K-State.

But there are probably way more flops than good ones. It's always a risk going with someone unproven. When we were sucking it up and in the Valley I understood having to take the chance on someone.

I was hoping we were past that still. But maybe not.
                          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Obviously Jans should be the clear #1, but if he says no you either gotta take a chance on Mill or DeVries who have had solid success in lower conferences or take a gamble and get a high level assistant at a highly successful program like Sampson
                            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I think you can have an argument that these don't super-apply to us.

But Schuyer at Duke, Tang at K-State, Dutcher at SDSU, Woodson at IU (first CBB job??), Penny at Memphis, May at FAU.

So... 9 of the current top-25 are a first-time DI coach at those institutions. Certainly not all apply to our situation. notably Shuyer, Penny and Woodson, who all have big-time ties to hoops in general and ties to those schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkoShox View Post
                                We all know the history of Drake basketball which is why I'm surprised there isn't more push for Coach DeVries. In the 5 years prior to DeVries getting the job, Drake Basketball had 3 head coaches and won a total of 55 games. Since HCDD took over, Drake is 122-47 with two conference championships and two appearances in the NCAA Tournament. He hasn't had a losing season or a season under 20 wins in his 5 years (1st time in program history). This Drake team is very senior heavy which could be a reason to see what else is out there.

I've seen some posts about his prior experiences at Creighton is a red flag I hope those are just troll posts, but if not, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard for a reason to not hire a coach. Obviously, Jans is my number one but DD would be a phenomenal hire if given the chance. We haven't even gotten to the fact that DD would be bringing his MVC POY sharp shooting 6'7 Soph. Son to the Chuck.
                                Honestly I like DeVries a lot for the reasons you mentioned. He went in like a Chris Jans and had immediate success. That doesn't happen by accident.

I cringe at the Creighton background just because I don't like them. Just like I cringed at the KU background for Turgeon. But that isn't a reason to NOT hire a guy.

If he is good, he is good.

Comment

Working...
                                X