Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devries comes from the Sweater Vest Tree, and I'm just not a believer. Their present day coach couldn't make it at Iowa State either. If Devries is a good fit, maybe Prohm (he couldn't do it at Iowa State, but maybe that doesn't mean anything) is too.

Comment

• Go get Kelsey. I’m sure a very tough get but do what you got to do. Sampson would likely be a great head coach but a short timer I believe. Maybe Kelsey too but I sense he would get infected with our passion and following just as 3G did.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

Personally, I would be more okay with Griffin. Sampson almost certainly has more understanding of what it takes to recruit and play in the college game, but unlike him Griffin has had some games as the active head coach. Griffin has played with arguably the best Xs and Os head coach in the NBA in Nick Nurse, with the greatest NBA player in our program's recent history in Fred Van Vleet, and is a Wichita native. And is a few years older and hopefully more mature while still being young enough to give us a decade or more good years.

And most of all, we've already seen that having an ex-NBA player at the helm and out-recruiting this conference can keep you at the top. Griffin's argument would be that he is a Penny Hardaway that can actually coach. And we've had less success against Memphis than against Houston during our time in the conference together; that talent difference hasn't been something we can easily overcome.

Griffin knowing virtually nothing about the modern college landscape is a huge concern, but the upside is truly real. No other coach promises to both out-coach and out-recruit everyone else in our conference in quite the same way, and we have more reason to think Griffin would stay than Sampson (if nothing else, the hometown aspect). He has arguably the highest ceiling and lowest floor of anyone we've discussed.

Frankly though, I doubt we have much appetite for any coach without head coaching experience at the college level. That was a big reason Brown stumbled his first 2.5 seasons here.
        Yep, this is why he remains in my top 3. Jans, Griffin, and the third is a daily tossup between Sampson, and the others mentioned.

Comment

• ‘A sleeping giant’: Wichita State basketball coaching job still considered to be elite

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...pdigest_latest

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

An argument could be made that the modern NCAA landscape more closely resembles the NBA now than it did a few years ago.
            With NIL and transfer portal the NCAA is the NBA on steroids. Do away with traveling and charging rules for the NCAA and who needs the NBA?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Dingleberry is just a synonym for 'Troll.' Hate ain't got nothing to do with it. It's what someone resorts to when she/it can't intelligently hold a conversation with someone who has a different opinion, even if it's factually based. I've seen it. You've seen it. So, either he/she can't debate in a proper fashion or he's off of his meds again and needs to get back on them. Or, better yet, he/she can do like doc does and ignore me if he, a) disagrees with what I post (even when I'm right), or, b) ignore the post if he/she can't just plain comprehend what was posted. ADKS better not screw this up...

When were you right about something?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                ‘A sleeping giant’: Wichita State basketball coaching job still considered to be elite

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...pdigest_latest
                ‘A sleeping giant’: Wichita State basketball coaching job still considered to be elite (yahoo.com)
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Funny how national basketball writers have a higher opinion of the program than a significant portion of the fanbase.
                  Last edited by Shock Top; March 16, 2023, 12:08 PM.
                  The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                    Funny how national basketball writers have a higher optnion of the program than a significant portion of the fanbase.
                    So very true… always puzzling.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                      Funny how national basketball writers have a higher optnion of the program than a significant portion of the fanbase.
                      And the Eagle editorial writer.

Comment

And the Eagle editorial writer.
                        But he's almost always an idiot
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

But he's always an idiot
                          FIFY

Comment

• At first glance, the only qualm I had with an Oral Roberts coach like Paul Mills, is that the time when we hired Gregg Marshall, one of the candidates that was being pushed by some of our fan base (including Eddie Sutton) was the Oral Roberts Coach (I don't remember which Sutton boy, but I think it was Scott, not Sean) Sutton. That hire would have been a Huge Mistake but our AD was too smart, and he hired Gregg instead. It doesn't sound like Paul Mills is that type of personality, and that he worked for Scott Drew at Baylor for quite a while (and with Tang). This might make him a good fit. Hopefully, Saal makes the right decision.

Comment

At first glance, the only qualm I had with an Oral Roberts coach like Paul Mills, is that the time when we hired Gregg Marshall, one of the candidates that was being pushed by some of our fan base (including Eddie Sutton) was the Oral Roberts Coach (I don't remember which Sutton boy, but I think it was Scott, not Sean) Sutton. That hire would have been a Huge Mistake but our AD was too smart, and he hired Gregg instead. It doesn't sound like Paul Mills is that type of personality, and that he worked for Scott Drew at Baylor for quite a while (and with Tang). This might make him a good fit. Hopefully, Saal makes the right decision.
                              Scott Sutton (now an assistant at Oklahoma State)
                              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• I wanted one that’s inspires me.

So far that list includes: Jans, Kelsey, Sampson, Griffin.

I could be convinced of others, but those 4 are sticking out in my mind.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X