Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
    Sign K. Sampson as soon as Dance ends for Houston. Just do it!!!!!!!!!!!
    If he's the guy no need to wait for tourney to end.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
      Sampson could be great, but won't he bolt for Houston as soon as that's available?
      Not necessarily, it's not his ala mater or anything. My guess is his dad told him to find his own gig because he's not leaving anytime soon
      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• My #1 is Sampson I think he could be a grand slam and daddy isn't going to retire soon. #2 is Jans this could be home for him and he knows how to win. #3 is Kelsey he definitely could be a home run.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan_realist View Post
          So just out of curiousity, why the hate for DeVries and Richey? I’m all for Pat Kelsey as #1 but I’d also be happy with either of the first two. From what I’ve heard, sounds like we might have our guy lined up, just waiting for him to be done coaching. Press conference is planned just waiting for the date
          DeVries was an assistant coach at Creighton from 2001 to 2018. Bob Richey has only made one tournament, this one, and that counts his decade of assistant coaching (also, one board member was insistent on singing his praises for Isaac Brown's tenure and some on the board pushed back). Those are the major reasons these coaches are getting less buy-in.

As far as having a guy lined up, I don't think it takes a genius to see that should be the case. Firing Isaac Brown as soon as possible is what you'd expect of a competent AD looking to give their next coach the best chances to recruit. Hiring a candidate as soon as possible is the logical next step.

From that, and the likely money issue, I don't think Chris Jans is the one if we don't see a move in the absolute immediate future. His team is out of the tournament, and we have plenty of time to announce it if it is the case. Same for anyone else not in the tournament right now, which could include coaches that have been fired or resigned.

In fact, if we don't make a move sometime next week my guess is that our future coach is still coaching. Most likely that would mean Kellen Sampson, but it could also be one Richey, Kelsey, or DeVries that has made a miracle run.

If we don't have have a coach within a week of the tournament ending, my guess is that our target wasn't a college coach at all but instead was Adrian Griffin, who will be coaching until at least April 9th (the NCAA championship will be on the 3rd).

TL;DR: Jans is probably out, as is Marshall, Brey, Ollie, etc. (all the coaches not currently coaching with some clout behind them). I suspect we'll see a coaching announcement next week or shortly thereafter and that the target is one of Kelsey, DeVries, or Richey. If we don't, I think we are going after Sampson or Griffin.
          Last edited by CBB_Fan; March 16, 2023, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
            Sampson could be great, but won't he bolt for Houston as soon as that's available?
            I was thinking about this. Obviously I don't know Sampson, his priorities, goals....etc.

But if he only values conference....then yes he could leave for Houston to be in Big 12......then again he could bolt for any power 5 team. So risk is probably equal there.

However, if he has the success we would hope for. What else does Houston have that Wichita State can't beat or match? We have proven we can pay power 5 money (which after 2026 will be assured). We have better support at the games than Houston could EVER hope to have. He would be a king in Wichita. But in a pro town like Houston he would get lost in the shuffle.

Plus this could be HIS legacy and not him just continuing his father's legacy and always living in his shadow.

If he doesn't have the success we would hope for or expect, then we probably wouldnt be that upset to lose him. If he is worth keeping then we can match or beat Houston in a lot of ways.

For me, he isn't at the top of the list strictly because of head coaching experience. Otherwise, if we go the assistant route, he is probably the only assistant I can think of I would be ok with.
            Last edited by shockerfan; March 16, 2023, 09:32 AM.
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• If you’re knocking Richey for only making the tournament once, a reminder that it’s much harder to have a team maintain excellence throughout the season than it is to get hot in your conference tournament. Richey’s worst team is better than Medved’s best team at Furman.

They were a crazy last second shot away from going to the tournament last season. Can’t imagine why you would hold that against him. Kelsey only made the tournament twice at Winthrop in 9 seasons.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Re: Mills, things to remember…he likely doesn’t have a huge recruiting budget at ORU. Also, (carefully wording this) players/recruits have to abide by ORU student expectations/rules, which may not be for everyone and could be challenging. Therefore, he’s done fairly well with the hand he’s been delt with.

With that, I’m not saying he’s my first choice. Abmas has made him look pretty good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                  If you’re knocking Richey for only making the tournament once, a reminder that it’s much harder to have a team maintain excellence throughout the season than it is to get hot in your conference tournament. Richey’s worst team is better than Medved’s best team at Furman.

They were a crazy last second shot away from going to the tournament last season. Can’t imagine why you would hold that against him. Kelsey only made the tournament twice at Winthrop in 9 seasons.
                  McCasland also has 1 appearance.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                    Otherwise, if we go the assistant route, he is probably the only assistant I can think of I would be ok with.
                    Personally, I would be more okay with Griffin. Sampson almost certainly has more understanding of what it takes to recruit and play in the college game, but unlike him Griffin has had some games as the active head coach. Griffin has played with arguably the best Xs and Os head coach in the NBA in Nick Nurse, with the greatest NBA player in our program's recent history in Fred Van Vleet, and is a Wichita native. And is a few years older and hopefully more mature while still being young enough to give us a decade or more good years.

And most of all, we've already seen that having an ex-NBA player at the helm and out-recruiting this conference can keep you at the top. Griffin's argument would be that he is a Penny Hardaway that can actually coach. And we've had less success against Memphis than against Houston during our time in the conference together; that talent difference hasn't been something we can easily overcome.

Griffin knowing virtually nothing about the modern college landscape is a huge concern, but the upside is truly real. No other coach promises to both out-coach and out-recruit everyone else in our conference in quite the same way, and we have more reason to think Griffin would stay than Sampson (if nothing else, the hometown aspect). He has arguably the highest ceiling and lowest floor of anyone we've discussed.

Frankly though, I doubt we have much appetite for any coach without head coaching experience at the college level. That was a big reason Brown stumbled his first 2.5 seasons here.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

Griffin knowing virtually nothing about the modern college landscape is a huge concern, but the upside is truly real. No other coach promises to both out-coach and out-recruit everyone else in our conference in quite the same way, and we have more reason to think Griffin would stay than Sampson (if nothing else, the hometown aspect). He has arguably the highest ceiling and lowest floor of anyone we've discussed.
                      An argument could be made that the modern NCAA landscape more closely resembles the NBA now than it did a few years ago.

Griffin could be a great coach if his first big recruiting victory is a good arsenal of assistant coaches. My perception is that the assistants are the ones who make contact with the potential players, and the head coach comes in and closes the deal. If we are wanting top level talent at our program, then a guy with extensive NBA experience is a good sell to a player with a reasonable expectation to play pro one day.

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• I’m just saying. If we actually hire Richey, it’ll be hilarious.

Comment

• Who is Paul Mills? Meet the controversial Oral Roberts coach with a villain reputation (msn.com)
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
                            I’m just saying. If we actually hire Richey, it’ll be hilarious.
                            Step 1: Hire Bob Richey
                            Step 2: Perma-ban 76

It’s the only way.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Step 1: Hire Bob Richey
                              Step 2: Perma-ban 76

Its the only way.
                              Can't we start at Step 2 ?

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

I was thinking about this. Obviously I don't know Sampson, his priorities, goals....etc.

But if he only values conference....then yes he could leave for Houston to be in Big 12......then again he could bolt for any power 5 team. So risk is probably equal there.

However, if he has the success we would hope for. What else does Houston have that Wichita State can't beat or match? We have proven we can pay power 5 money (which after 2026 will be assured). We have better support at the games than Houston could EVER hope to have. He would be a king in Wichita. But in a pro town like Houston he would get lost in the shuffle.

Plus this could be HIS legacy and not him just continuing his father's legacy and always living in his shadow.

If he doesn't have the success we would hope for or expect, then we probably wouldnt be that upset to lose him. If he is worth keeping then we can match or beat Houston in a lot of ways.

For me, he isn't at the top of the list strictly because of head coaching experience. Otherwise, if we go the assistant route, he is probably the only assistant I can think of I would be ok with.
                                If Sampson has the personality of his dad, he'd be a good fit. We need a competitive coach with high energy who pushes buttons, and kids constantly, and isn't afraid to recruit against the Power 5 teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X