Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abdur-Rahim looked good. Intrigued by the suggestion of Ben McCollum at Northwest Missouri State as well.

The only coach I have eliminated is Paul Mills at Oral Roberts. Just not ready for prime time, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      I haven't seen it mentioned (probably overlooked) but Amir Abdur-Rahim better be on your radar. Played and coached with Billy Kennedy. His team is tough as nails. No idea if he's ready to run a program with the size and scope of WSU, but I like the way his guys handle themselves.
      Most definitely should be on the list and worthy of a long look.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Mixed messages from Taylor. First he said he was no longer interested, then he said he's an intriguing possibility. I think in my case I figured we'd be hearing actual talk if it were him as I don't think him leaving Toronto to take over would be delayed because of the NBA season. Staudamire was on the bench somewhere when he accepted the Georgia Tech job recently.
        I don't think anyone will be hired untill KS can interview his top picks. So other than turgeon, I think they are all still in play. Hoping of course.

Comment

I haven't seen it mentioned (probably overlooked) but Amir Abdur-Rahim better be on your radar. Played and coached with Billy Kennedy. His team is tough as nails. No idea if he's ready to run a program with the size and scope of WSU, but I like the way his guys handle themselves.
          I hope not. I thought he made a large contribution to KS giving that game away. He called his team off with a 13 point lead and over 7 minutes left. Every possession he was telling them to slow it down and run clock. Terrible decision. It took the aggression out of them and they couldn't get it back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

I hope not. I thought he made a large contribution to KS giving that game away. He called his team off with a 13 point lead and over 7 minutes left. Every possession he was telling them to slow it down and run clock. Terrible decision. It took the aggression out of them and they couldn't get it back.
            Meh. Coaches aren't perfect. Overall I thought he coached well and his team played hard.

No question he has done a pretty quick turnaround for Kennesaw St. Considering how bad they were when he came in.
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Might of sensed his team was tiring and wanted to conserve some energy but that's a little early to be going into a walk it down to the end of the shot clock approach.

Comment

• Eldridge naming Preston Spradlin of Morehead St. as a candidate

Comment

• Sampson would come pretty cheap, no? Being his first job and all?

Comment

He’s had 1 winning season as head coach (45-73)

He might be a great coach but his record and 1 winning season out of 4 years is not impressive. First year he had only 1 win.
                    if we didn’t give IB additional time, why would we give this guy 4 years?

He’s unproven and WSU is not that desperate to take a chance on an unproven coach. He needs seasoning.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockersx View Post
                      Eldridge naming Preston Spradlin of Morehead St. as a candidate
                      Would be a “connection” hire with his work in Kentucky AD while Saul was there.

Really hoping we can get someone better than this. Largely unproven and just not too impressive to me.
                      Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Didn’t he coach Robby Benson?

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post

Would be a “connection” hire with his work in Kentucky AD while Saul was there.

Really hoping we can get someone better than this. Largely unproven and just not too impressive to me.
                          Not nearly the worst candidate I’ve heard mentioned but doesn’t have the resume of Kelsey. Bet he understands recruiting in this day and age.

Comment

Meh. Feels like a Mills type candidate to me.

Although I don't know what his system is like. Maybe his style would play well at WSU and in the AAC?

Hopefully we can do better....
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Abdur-Rahim and Spradlin have not done enough at this point in time. My line in the sand is a winning percentage better than Isaac Browns. If they couldn't win 60% of their games in the conference they are in, why would they do better here at this point in their career? These are coaches with sparse postseason performances where over half their seasons have been under .500. Want to know how many losing seasons Marshall had at Winthrop?

0. He had zero.

That's the type of thing I want to see from an incoming coach. There are some names floating around with resumes that don't have the blemishes we see with those two. DeVries has never had a losing record and has a solid winning percentage. Kelsey's only losing season was his first, of 10. Richey has never had a losing season. Those are the names I think are getting some real play.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Didn’t he coach Robby Benson?
                                Great reference.
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X