Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

You better call Father Flanagan. Oh, wait...*

Mental
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Mental
      I don't understand anyone posting a video of themselves do that.

Comment

• The more I see and hear the more I really like Pat Kelsey. Like his attitude, demeanor, and his offense style.

Comment

• NM
          The Assman

Comment

• If we can get past all the brain dead dumb s**t posts, and get back to the subject, I think it can be Jans for a number of reasons.

1) Eldridge has reported that the heavy hitters want Jans
            2) Internet rumors have said it's Jans and money is no object.
            3) If #1 and #2 are true, then terminating IB is easy.
            4) If #1 and #2 are not true, then KS has a stealth candidate that the big $$ boosters want.

Reasons that Jans might want to return to WSU

1) He'd be the king of the athletic department and the city, instead of an afterthought at a FB school.
            2) He could retire here. In the SEC he may be a temp.
            3) He could be the top dog in the AAC
            4) Wichita ain't all that, but Wichita >>>>>>>>Starklville
            5) Jans knows the people who can make this happen and they know him.

Saal either got the heavy hitter donors to buy in on his decision or he's the gutsiest AD in the nation. ADKS either presented something the heavy hitters could support or they told him they trusted him and he should do something - anything - to fix the problem and they would trust him and give him the money to make it happen.

While it's hard to believe that Jans would make a move, I think it''s harder to believe that the big donors would commit to millions of dollars without something known about to happen.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              If we can get past all the brain dead dumb s**t posts, and get back to the subject, I think it can be Jans for a number of reasons.

4) If #1 and #2 are not true, then KS has a stealth candidate that the big $$ boosters want.

1) He'd be the king of the athletic department and the city, instead of an afterthought at a FB school.

Saal either got the heavy hitter donors to buy in on his decision or he's the gutsiest AD in the nation. ADKS either presented something the heavy hitters could support or they told him they trusted him and he should do something - anything - to fix the problem and they would trust him and give him the money to make it happen.

While it's hard to believe that Jans would make a move, I think it''s harder to believe that the big donors would commit to millions of dollars without something known about to happen.
              I’m starting to feel that KS already kind of has this lined up almost. It just seems so improbable. He got MASSIVE backing, and that doesn’t come without a well executed plan. He didn’t hesitate in firing IB. I’m excited to see who this is. My guess is it very well could be Jans level. If not him, then it has to be someone at least his level if not better.

Comment

If we can get past all the brain dead dumb s**t posts, and get back to the subject, I think it can be Jans for a number of reasons.

I also find it hard to believe Saal made the move to fire IB without a strong candidate in mind. I have a hard time putting any of the mid-major coaches or Turgeon in the strong candidate column. Has a coach ever moved from Power 5 to non Power 5 school out of choice? Can’t recall anything like that in recent history. If the money is there, it certainly seems feasible.

Comment

• Last year, the lion's share of Athletic Department revenue came from "Contributions" equal to $7.2M. $5.4M of that comes from YOU, the season ticket holder, in the form of SASO contributions. (Your season ticket purchase really matters, folks!) That means the "big donor" being talked about around here donated $1.8M.

Then student fees equated to $4.2M. Thanks, Bardo, for getting this rocket ship into orbit.

However, the Athletic Department also has this really interesting source of revenue: Direct Institutional Support. That can consist of unrestricted funds and unrestricted endowments the university is sitting on. Last year that was $3.5M.

Considering that WSU is skyrocketing to a whole 'nother level of university, it's quite possible that the university is the "donor". Or at least the "guarantor" to ADKS that he has the green light to make the changes he needs to make. If so, that makes it possible that a traditional national coaching search is going to happen (or is already under way via consultants), and that there is no coach with an envelope sitting on their desk yet.

Just throwing out another possibility. Or at least there could be a combination of things in play (coach already determined, but money coming from university not a big donor).
                  Last edited by Kung Wu; March 14, 2023, 08:30 AM.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Lighten up a little dude, have a drink or smoke a bowl. It's just a bunch of us dudes with to much time on our hands, speculating on something we know little to nothing about. But other than your first paragraph, I'm with you.

Comment

• Aargh I think was making the point that fADDB is no longer our AD. So, hopefully, we can toss out the idiotic theories like some have suggested.

Biggest theory that comes to mind: the National “Search”. It only takes an easy google search to see that ADKS only needed 4 days to announce the replacement for Matt McMahon when he left for LSU. ADKS believes like fHCGM that you must always be recruiting.

Ask any leader, any REAL leader. You don’t fire a key employee without a replacement in mind. And while he couldn’t directly call up a Coach under contract for another school, the “I know a guy who knows a guy” approach is done in 95% of coaching searches.

I will repeat a phrase many on here have turned into almost a meme, but was touted by Aargh earlier: Trust the process. It even worked out how it am was supposed to for “TP” and his father. It will work out here.

If anyone wants, I can narrow the search down to about 600 names. And also give you a reason each of the 600 could be selected. I can also tell you why they wouldn’t be.

The good news is we have a President/AD both aligned in a vision for WSU that promotes the continued growth initiated by President John Bardo. We are in good hands.

Also, We Want Beard! It’s Gotta be Jans! Kelsey is our guy! Mills or bust! Malagi is our Man! Bring back Turg! The return of 3G!

Hell, hire them all. That would be the best coaching staff college basketball has ever seen!

Comment

• Regarding those that support Mills as a possible hire.

What am I missing on him? I am afraid that he is only as good as Max Abmas is. I know there have been a couple other really good players he has had, but his winning percentage took a big leap since Abmas has been on the team

I would prefer to see he can sustain that success after Abmas is gone before really taking a chance on him.

Unless I am missing something else that would indicate he would be a good hire other than his last 2 or 3 years of success.
                        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Eldridge has also repeatedly stated that Jans is a long shot. I’d be all for it, and maybe it happens & Taylor’s wrong, but if there’s someone who would know best it’s Taylor Eldridge imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                            Regarding those that support Mills as a possible hire.

What am I missing on him? I am afraid that he is only as good as Max Abmas is. I know there have been a couple other really good players he has had, but his winning percentage took a big leap since Abmas has been on the team

I would prefer to see he can sustain that success after Abmas is gone before really taking a chance on him.

Unless I am missing something else that would indicate he would be a good hire other than his last 2 or 3 years of success.
                            A) Recruited said player
                            B) Developed game plan to fit team spotlighting said olayer
                            C) Continually adapted game plan to avoid teams scheming to stop said player
                            D) Wins game at high clip

While not at top of my list, he has continually done better than the year before while increasing support for the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Last year, the lion's share of Athletic Department revenue came from "Contributions" equal to $7.2M. $5.4M of that comes from YOU, the season ticket holder, in the form of SASO contributions. (Your season ticket purchase really matters, folks!) That means the "big donor" being talked about around here donated $1.8M.

Then student fees equated to $4.2M. Thanks, Bardo, for getting this rocket ship into orbit.

However, the Athletic Department also has this really interesting source of revenue: Direct Institutional Support. That can consist of unrestricted funds and unrestricted endowments the university is sitting on. Last year that was $3.5M.

Considering that WSU is skyrocketing to a whole 'nother level of university, it's quite possible that the university is the "donor". Or at least the "guarantor" to ADKS that he has the green light to make the changes he needs to make. If so, that makes it possible that a traditional national coaching search is going to happen (or is already under way via consultants), and that there is no coach with an envelope sitting on their desk yet.

Just throwing out another possibility. Or at least there could be a combination of things in play (coach already determined, but money coming from university not a big donor).
                              That all might be true. But from what I've heard there are actual donor donors that had stopped giving that are now back on board.

Comment

• To be fair, they have actually improved since Obanor left for TTU, but I think the concern is valid.
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X