Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Wonder Kid.
    One day away from seeing the next chapter of Nate The Great
    The Assman

Comment

• Can anyone explain why Adrian Griffin suddenly seems off the table? I didn’t understand why Lutz said 99% not him but also don’t understand why the lack of reference to him.

personally, he’s way better of a take than Paul Mills. I’d give Griffin a slight edge on Sampson personally, but what do I know.

DeVries is okay, imo. Just okay though. Doesn’t wow me and I’m not sure it’d wow the recruits unless our NIL is really rolling with those six figure deals

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        If it's Prohm, it moves ADKS very quickly into the "bad hire" quadrant. Thats not only a bad but a lazy hire.
        It's not Prohm. That much I can assure you.

That is all.
        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
          Can anyone explain why Adrian Griffin suddenly seems off the table? I didn’t understand why Lutz said 99% not him but also don’t understand why the lack of reference to him.

personally, he’s way better of a take than Paul Mills. I’d give Griffin a slight edge on Sampson personally, but what do I know.

DeVries is okay, imo. Just okay though. Doesn’t wow me and I’m not sure it’d wow the recruits unless our NIL is really rolling with those six figure deals
          I wonder if in the last couple of years if maybe he's changed his mind about coaching college. He seems like someone that if interested should most definitely be at least informally interviewed. For me, Jans is obviously choice #1 but isn't an easy get, but still someone you contact. From the names mentioned, Kelsey might be number 2. I don't know a lot about him as I haven't paid much attention to CoC, but a lot of people have a lot of good things to say. But Griffin is right there with him for me.

Something about Mills turns me off. DeVries would be okay, but nothing to wow people. Some keep talking about his son, but if his son is the biggest selling point, then he's definitely a no. I'm not big on Richey. He's won a lot, but also this is his first ever trip to the tourney. If he's that dominant, he should probably win his conference tournament more often.

Not sure if McCasland is possible or not, but I'd put him above DeVries.

Jans
          Kelsey/Griffin
          McCasland
          Sampson
          DeVries

Richey
          Mills
          Turgeon

I think that's how I'd rank most of the names we've seen mentioned.
          Last edited by SubGod22; March 14, 2023, 01:51 PM.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Can anyone explain why Adrian Griffin suddenly seems off the table? I didn’t understand why Lutz said 99% not him but also don’t understand why the lack of reference to him.
            Because he's never coached at the college level, and coaches who jump into college coaching having never coached at the college level and succeed are even rarer than lifelong assistants who thrive as college coaches. Mike Woodson is an anomaly, not a trend. And man, I applaud him for doing a good coaching job and for having one of the thickest goatees I have ever seen. It's impressive.

Being a college coach is a GRIND compared to being an NBA coach. Brad Stevens is the perfect example here. He wanted to coach in the NBA and actually have time to spend with his family.

Either way, it doesn't sound like he's interested. Griffin is focused on being an NBA coach per Taylor's appearance on Sports Daily today.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Because he's never coached at the college level, and coaches who jump into college coaching having never coached at the college level and succeed are even rarer than lifelong assistants who thrive as college coaches. Mike Woodson is an anomaly, not a trend. And man, I applaud him for doing a good coaching job and for having one of the thickest goatees I have ever seen. It's impressive.

Being a college coach is a GRIND compared to being an NBA coach. Brad Stevens is the perfect example here. He wanted to coach in the NBA and actually have time to spend with his family.

Either way, it doesn't sound like he's interested. Griffin is focused on being an NBA coach per Taylor's appearance on Sports Daily today.
                Makes sense. Just was confused given how interested he was just recently.

Comment

• Comment

• Would be a buzzkill
                    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post
                      Taylor just posted an article about NIL and Armchair. Armchair put out a statement saying support has increased greatly since the announcement of a coaching change. Armchair says they have received 6 figure commitments. This goes along with Saal’s radio interview from 2 weeks ago where he said that NIL was about half way to where he wanted but he expected something significant in the next couple weeks.
                      Guessing Saal/NIL collectives heard a lot of "find a new coach and I'll donate"

Comment

• Man, I’m gonna say it. I really am NOT excited by Turgeon. The man himself said he’s satisfied with his accomplishments and wants a break. Does that sound like the fire we want here? Does that sound like someone who’s going to be driven to recruit well and coach and lead to sweet sixteens and elite eights and final fours?

Or is it more likely that he sees it as a retirement job “at this level”?

Comment

• I have much more of a problem with Turgeon's age/potential motivation level than I do with the "at this level" comments. I just don't care.

He could be a good fit, and I wouldn't be mad about it. But I hope we're not looking for a placeholder.

That said, if he's still got that fire in his belly, by all means, sign me up. He can coach his ass off.

Comment

Makes sense. Just was confused given how interested he was just recently.
                            Yeah, just don't think it's a situation that makes sense for either party. He may be a fine coach, but it's so tough to make a transition from the NBA to the NCAA. In the reverse, it's easier because you can focus on strategy and don't have to recruit all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              Would be worth it just to dunk on Lutz

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                                NO!
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X