Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I love Dexter Dennis, but he's nowhere near an NBA player as a wing who shoots 29% from deep and can't dribble very well.
    At 29%, no. But he always had NBA potential and it all depended on his development of a more consistent shot to be a D and 3 guy. I still think he definitely belonged in that group with NBA potential.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

At 29%, no. But he always had NBA potential and it all depended on his development of a more consistent shot to be a D and 3 guy. I still think he definitely belonged in that group with NBA potential.
      But he's never proven to have a consistent shot or handle. Sometimes you fall in love with the athleticism. He's just not a complete basketball player to be considered NBA prospect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        ... Heiar is done for
        GH will be lucky to find juco gig.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Or a small high school in Indiana

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

While probably true, it is totally unjustified. I doubt he was present at any of those events and probably never knew of them until well after they happened. His only fault would be the recruitment of some sleeze balls.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

While probably true, it is totally unjustified. I doubt he was present at any of those events and probably never knew of them until well after they happened. His only fault would be the recruitment of some sleeze balls.
              Which therein lies his failures. He has a DOBO and Director of Player Development who is supposed to be plugged into these things at the surface level, which is on his watch. GH is not a bad person but neither were most of the people who were fired up the chain of command from the incidents at Abu Ghraib. It’s 12 guys you have to watch over with at least 6-7 staff. You almost have to be detached on purpose.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Or a small high school in Indiana
                Where did you find that?

Library in Deer Lick.

Comment

I can at least appreciate your consistency in being unwilling to hold coaches accountable for failures in behavior and leadership.

Would you hire Greg with the following circumstances in his first year as a D1 head coach?

A player left the team hotel while on a trip he was responsible for the team, resulting in a fatal shooting.

The program was shut down due to hazing, happening in the team locker room resulting in a police report being filed.

The team posted a record of 9-15 (2-10) in the WAC, a league in which NMSU has been the dominant program in recent history.

Based on the below clause, it seems nearly certain he will be fired with cause.

"Most contracts at the NM State have the Institutional Control clause where the coach recognizes and acknowledges the importance of maintaining the principles of insti
                  ​​​tutional control over every aspect of the program."

Comment

Color me surprised your doubling down. Yeah accountability is overrated. Just like most on here view IB as not head coaching material, I think we have circumstances that would at the very least lump GH in the same category.

Comment

• My bet is WSU AD will be doing a Schaus type hire. He will be hiring somebody he knows and is considered a "coaching prospect".

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                        My bet is WSU AD will be doing a Schaus type hire. He will be hiring somebody he knows and is considered a "coaching prospect".
                        Schaus didn't previously know GM.

Comment

"Totally unjustified" is a bury your head in the sand type of thing. One bad incident .. sure .. but its been a nightmare of event after event at NMSU. You have to have SOME control over your program. These aren't just incidents of a kid skipping a class. These are major go to jail level incidents .. happening when the players are under the "control" of the coaches (either on a road trip or in the locker room)

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

"Totally unjustified" is a bury your head in the sand type of thing. One bad incident .. sure .. but its been a nightmare of event after event at NMSU. You have to have SOME control over your program. These aren't just incidents of a kid skipping a class. These are major go to jail level incidents .. happening when the players are under the "control" of the coaches (either on a road trip or in the locker room)
                            I don't totally disagree with this, but original comment was a total blackball of his career. This last incident on an allegation to begin with, not proven yet, for one thing. (That I know of).
                            I could go with shutting down the program for now and firing him for now. But I think he probably learned a huge lesson on these incidents and would probably be overly attentive to these type of things if given a chance at another school.
                            While I managed about 25 people I had incidents where an employee stole a magnetic sign from a vehicle, another employee used a company car to deer hunt on someone's private property, as well as other instances that she'd bad light on our company. While they are not to the degree of criminal as NMSU's, they were still a poor reflection caused by employees under my control. I fired both, but my career remained in tact.

Comment

I don't totally disagree with this, but original comment was a total blackball of his career. This last incident on an allegation to begin with, not proven yet, for one thing. (That I know of).
                              I could go with shutting down the program for now and firing him for now. But I think he probably learned a huge lesson on these incidents and would probably be overly attentive to these type of things if given a chance at another school.
                              While I managed about 25 people I had incidents where an employee stole a magnetic sign from a vehicle, another employee used a company car to deer hunt on someone's private property, as well as other instances that she'd bad light on our company. While they are not to the degree of criminal as NMSU's, they were still a poor reflection caused by employees under my control. I fired both, but my career remained in tact.
                              I would agree with you. His D1 career is over...probably and justifiably forever. But juco basketball is full of coaches with checkered pasts...hence, why they are at that level in many cases. Greg has succeeded at that level, so if he learns from this experience, he will probably be just fine as a juco coach for the rest of his career.
                              78-65

Comment

I think the bolded part is an understatement. If GH had a player steal a sign and another use team property for personal use, he would still be a coach. Those two situation present minor liability to your employer. Two incidents of harm to another human are in a DRASTICALLY different realm of issues. There is also the aspect that a coach has more of a "duty" to protect those players than your standard manager at a job. Parents entrust their kids to a coach. A player sneaking off and ending up in a fight that some dies in is bad .. really bad .. but then you add the fact that a player under his control was put under "harming" circumstances and now you have a major major liability to the job and school.

Comment

Working...
                                X