Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shockersx View Post
    Eldridge has also repeatedly stated that Jans is a long shot. I’d be all for it, and maybe it happens & Taylor’s wrong, but if there’s someone who would know best it’s Taylor Eldridge imo.
    The fact that TE highlighted DeVries, Mills, and Sampson from his article in a subsequent tweet makes me think those are the candidates to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

A) Recruited said player
      B) Developed game plan to fit team spotlighting said olayer
      C) Continually adapted game plan to avoid teams scheming to stop said player
      D) Wins game at high clip

While not at top of my list, he has continually done better than the year before while increasing support for the program.
      I don't think he is a BAD coach. I was just curious.

Valid points. Unless he just got lucky with Abmas. But I do understand it isn't Abmas alone doing everything (game planning, developing....etc). So obviously Mills has skill as a coach. I just wish I could see it without Abmas also. Dude is a player and can definitely make a Coach look better than he really is.

But if Mills found Abmas, he could probably do it again.

I do like Mills over any assistant that has never ran a program before though.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Eldridge has also repeatedly stated that Jans is a long shot. I’d be all for it, and maybe it happens & Taylor’s wrong, but if there’s someone who would know best it’s Taylor Eldridge imo.
        He's also said ADKS is playing it close to the vest.

Comment

He's said the money is there for Jans ... and they are going to make Jans say no .. which he hasn't yet

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

The fact that TE highlighted DeVries, Mills, and Sampson from his article in a subsequent tweet makes me think those are the candidates to watch.
            Taylor also highlighted several AD candidates last spring/summer, and not one of them turned out to be the guy. Likely none of us had heard of Kevin Saal until it was announced that he was coming to Wichita.

That's not bagging on Taylor. Just that very few know anything other than the guy making the decision. Having a personnel search with zero leaks isn't necessarily a bad thing.
            78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Taylor also highlighted several AD candidates last spring/summer, and not one of them turned out to be the guy. Likely none of us had heard of Kevin Saal until it was announced that he was coming to Wichita.

That's not bagging on Taylor. Just that very few know anything other than the guy making the decision. Having a personnel search with zero leaks isn't necessarily a bad thing.
              For sure. We probably won't know who the coach will be until it's announced. I just thought it was noteworthy that Taylor highlighted those three as people to watch in the NCAAT when other candidates from article are also coaching in the NCAAT.

Comment

• Yeah you’re right. Which he followed up by saying it still seems unfathomable.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jans waits til his team is done to field calls, either. Idk, again I’d be over the moon if it happens, but we’ll see.

Comment

Yeah you’re right. Which he followed up by saying it still seems unfathomable.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jans waits til his team is done to field calls, either. Idk, again I’d be over the moon if it happens, but we’ll see.
                  Chris and the NMSU Aggies lost in the second round of the NCAA Tournament last year. The very next day, he took the job at Mississippi State. Chris might have waited to field calls, but his agent was very likely taking calls.

I'm with you. No clue what will happen. But there are ways to talk to coaches without talking to the coaches themselves.
                  78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

Of those three, I'd probably prefer Sampson. I know many hate that idea, but I like his background.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Of those three, I'd probably prefer Sampson. I know many hate that idea, but I like his background.
                      The idea on its face does not bother me, except that he has a built-in job to leave for, and maybe quickly. I would just assume get someone who we have a shot at keeping for 10-ish years. Even if that is not likely in WSU's spot in today's CBB world.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Nooooo. :)
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I just want a coach that can get us back to being the fear in this guy's voice... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJfaeMTkSw Skip to 0:50

We did indeed cause the flyers some problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
                            I just want a coach that can get us back to being the fear in this guy's voice... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJfaeMTkSw Skip to 0:50

We did indeed cause the flyers some problems.
                            Wichita State Ramblers wrecked his day!
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I don't know how reliable this account is, but Taylor Eldridge follows it.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post

I also find it hard to believe Saal made the move to fire IB without a strong candidate in mind. I have a hard time putting any of the mid-major coaches or Turgeon in the strong candidate column. Has a coach ever moved from Power 5 to non Power 5 school out of choice? Can’t recall anything like that in recent history. If the money is there, it certainly seems feasible.
                                Shaka Smart would be one that left a P5 job at Texas, though one could argue it was a mutual split

Comment

Working...
                                X