No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football won't become a serious topic. I'm afraid that we are gping to be heading into the naskeabyss very soon if a move isn't made. I am willing to bet that ISUr and UNI have a plan. Bradley most likely as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerKhan View Post
      If football does come back it won't be in Cessna Stadium. Once the new dorm is built in the parking lot south of Cessna Stadium I would expect the parking garage topic to be pushed to the front burner. Making Cessna Stadium the primary target.
      Thus paving the way for a new football stadium located somewhere on the golf course if football becomes a serious topic..
      I would be stunned, if a new football stadium is built. Struck dead, actually.
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Since the stadium was brought up here, I will ask. Cessna is used for HS football, and once in a while Butler CC plays there (not likely anymore given their new digs). Would it be possible to build a new stadium in a similar fashion that Andover did it as a district stadium? What I mean is get a little help from the USD 259 athletic fund and allow it to be used for high school as well as for WSU. I realize this is very much premature as WSU may never again field a FB team, but its just a thought that might allow for more funding outside of strictly WSU.
        -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

• Originally posted by Slalomshocker View Post
          Since the stadium was brought up here, I will ask. Cessna is used for HS football, and once in a while Butler CC plays there (not likely anymore given their new digs). Would it be possible to build a new stadium in a similar fashion that Andover did it as a district stadium? What I mean is get a little help from the USD 259 athletic fund and allow it to be used for high school as well as for WSU. I realize this is very much premature as WSU may never again field a FB team, but its just a thought that might allow for more funding outside of strictly WSU.
          How cool would that have been if IBA was built large enough to accomodate a regulation size football field? it could have been the future home of the shockers home games and be in a dome. No need for an on campus football stadium.
          Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
          Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slalomshocker View Post
            Since the stadium was brought up here, I will ask. Cessna is used for HS football, and once in a while Butler CC plays there (not likely anymore given their new digs). Would it be possible to build a new stadium in a similar fashion that Andover did it as a district stadium? What I mean is get a little help from the USD 259 athletic fund and allow it to be used for high school as well as for WSU. I realize this is very much premature as WSU may never again field a FB team, but its just a thought that might allow for more funding outside of strictly WSU.
            i would be very surprised if 259 would sink money into something like that given their monetary concerns and over population concerns.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
              i would be very surprised if 259 would sink money into something like that given their monetary concerns and over population concerns.
              I agree about monetary concerns but over population? Are they not trying to figure out what to do with all the extra buildings or proposed buildings that they no longer need?

Regardless thats a bad idea and bush league.

Now pushing the city to pass a sales tax, like they did for Intrust, to build a stadium similar to sporting park in KC for big concerts, events, WSU football etc. Now that would be cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta town View Post
                I agree about monetary concerns but over population? Are they not trying to figure out what to do with all the extra buildings or proposed buildings that they no longer need?

Regardless thats a bad idea and bush league.

Now pushing the city to pass a sales tax, like they did for Intrust, to build a stadium similar to sporting park in KC for big concerts, events, WSU football etc. Now that would be cool.
                Granted, I have not visited in a while, but last I knew, Seltzer (for one) was in a pretty tight spot, and I was under the impression that there were more Elem. schools in the same predicament. Has that situation changed?
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                  Football won't become a serious topic. I'm afraid that we are gping to be heading into the naskeabyss very soon if a move isn't made. I am willing to bet that ISUr and UNI have a plan. Bradley most likely as well.
                  ISU is already building towards a move up in football and are eyeing the MAC. Could have options in the SunBelt and perhaps CUSA down the road. UNI from what I understand has had talks with the MAC and would be welcomed. However, they don't want to hurt basketball and want to leave that in the MVC. If the Valley doesn't make a good addition, or additions, UNI may decide the MAC is a better option for everything.

I'm not sure about Bradley. They're in the same boat as us being a nonfootball school, but their geographic location isn't near as bad as ours and they're still close enough to Chicago to appeal to someone at some point.

MSU fans seem to think they're moving up soon but I have my doubts.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I have to believe that WSU has too many boosters that love their Shocker sports to allow us to sink in the quicksand.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• The football stadium won't be harmed because of the state track meet. Makes alot of money for Wichita.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        I have to believe that WSU has too many boosters that love their Shocker sports to allow us to sink in the quicksand.
                        But of WSU is in the wrong conference it might not matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                          Granted, I have not visited in a while, but last I knew, Seltzer (for one) was in a pretty tight spot, and I was under the impression that there were more Elem. schools in the same predicament. Has that situation changed?
                          I don't know man...

I just know they built a huge new high school out by 254 then said oops lets just make it a magnet school. Also the new southeast/southeast high school that was promised may now not be built or if they do build it they will leave the current southeast high. Other than that I don't follow 259 as I'm in the Maize district.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay Dog View Post
                            It appears that today will be the day, as stated above.
                            As I stated at MVCfans, HCGM was total class before, during and after the game last Saturday, and I hope we play you, your great program and your rabid fan base Sunday, and every year thereafter in non-conf, and I also hope that you realize your goal of a great upgrade in conference!
                            See you at Arch Madness!
                            Jay Dog is getting a little too excited. IMO, today is only the day for the announcement of the new league to start July 1 along with it retaining the Big East name.
                            Last edited by tropicalshox; March 7, 2013, 12:03 PM.
                            In the fast lane

Comment

• The talk of a new FB stadium shared by USD 259 and an imaginary WSU football team might be the silliest thing I've yet read in a serious tone on SN. That would either be a ridiculously overbuilt high school field, a terrifically low rent D1 football stadium, or some combination of the two. A shared football/basketball dome idea falls in the same category. If you want to know how lame that could be just ask UNI for their experience with such. One of the Dakota schools has a dome too, as well as 'Cuse with the Carrier Dome. There isn't a football/basketball shared facility in this country that is warmly thought of.

IMO, with an assumption made that football remains a non-starter, our best option is obviously an everything-but-football invite from the MWC. We're a great fit for such a setup, even from an objective perspective. The problem is that no one knows if this idea is even remotely realistic. Right now, based on what the average joe knows, it's a bit like wondering if that cute girl in class will go out on a date with you when she doesn't even know you exist.

Let's not forget that there a few schools getting left out in the cold in the BE/C7 evolution, and the A10 is steadily getting watered down. It's not impossible to concluded that a secular BE/C7 scenario might originate with a few legit, well-funded, athletically successful schools from the BE leftovers/A10/MVC forming an entirely new conference. We'd be a logical no-brainer for that scenario.

I know it's (another) dead horse subject around here, but like others have said, the decision not to re-start football very well might have dire consequences for the future of our school athletically. I understand re-starting football would be a massive feat, but it seems like the net results of the decision to bring back or not bring back WSU football is a zero sum decision.

Lastly, I'm not sold on the automatic success of the C7, should it happen as expected. The private, BE-splitoff schools very well could have been riding the coattails of the large, public BE schools over all of these years. A conference made up exclusively of small, private, religious schools that in most cases aren't the #1 sports draw in their city, much less state, forming their own conference complete with an initial fat TV contract, looks potentially to me like the college sports version of a market bubble. I don't fault CU for taking the gamble. If WSU were to get an invite to such a situation I'd be willing to take that gamble too. My point is that the long-term of the C7 might develop into nothing more than a private school only mid-major conference. I do take some sinister satisfaction in the fact that if the C7/BE does come to fruition with CU as a member, that all the condescending, pompous BS they've spewed on fellow MVC members all of these years is going to reverse and come raining down on their heads like hellfire from the heavens. In the C7/BE it will be CU who will be regarded as the half-retarded, poor cousin from BFE nowhere.

Comment

• Ill State's facilities are awful. I just don't see any MVC football school making the move to Division 1 football. I don't think the athletic success or lack thereof of the MAC of is a model WSU/MVC should follow. The MAC has gone a long, long time w/o getting an invite to the Big Dance. Yes you have Kent State in the CWS and Northern Illinois in the Orange Bowl, but those are anomolies.

WSU has the most successful athletic departments in the MVC w/o football and that is not a coincidence. Football can kill an athletic budget even at the BCS level.

I think I agree with Suellentrop from a few years ago. If WSU could be guaranteed entry into Conf USA with football, then it should be considered. But now with Conf USA sucking eggs, it makes less sense.

It is ironic that football actually killed the Big East and is causing most of their remaining marquis programs to leave.

When Tulsa left, Creighton wasn't the program they are now. Will Ill State, Bradley, MSU take that next step up? Remember that in the MVC's best year since the early 1970s, Creighton placed 4th and didn't make the dance (2006.)

Comment

Working...
                                X