American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
    I think this is kind of my point. Isn't the MVC one of the only conferences that is this independent from it's football? Doesn't that sort of mean that the MVC as we know it is a little bit weird? If the MVC has a bunch of football schools that play in an independent league bearing the same name and no other conferences do that, doesn't it seem like it should be changed?

I feel like the MVC and MVFC should just be a football conference and the schools that are not associated with the MVFC, like WSU, Drake, Evansville, Loyola and Bradley should just disband out into the conferences that the other MVFC schools would be getting pulled from. The MVFC actually isn't a bad conference for FCS. And obviously, I would hope that WSU and Bradley could find a way into the right conference, not just where the MVFC schools come from.

I just wonder why the MVC and MVFC are made up this way. Is the MVFC really just the landing ground for a big composite of FCS football schools that play in different conferences for baseball, basketball, volleyball, etc.?

Here is a quick link the the MVFC. http://www.valley-football.org/
    I shudder at a world where we scuttle the football-playing, public university MVC members, and leave ourselves on the side of the remaining privates. I'll take the enrollment numbers and national profiles of the MVC publics over the MVC privates, any day of the week. Bradley would be the outlier, but who knows where they are headed long-term. The rest of the MVC privates are D2 schools masquerading as D1 schools.

Comment

• These are the 5 additional football schools and what league they are from:
      Youngstown State - Horizon
      South Dakota - Summit
      South Dakota St. - Summit
      North Dakota St. - Summit
      Western ILL - Summit

Then you have MoST, ILL St, Indy St, UNI and So ILL

I guess I can see why our MVC doesn't want to do that, but the sad truth is that it's because WE are in it...carrying it. The non football half of our MVC is basically a bunch of teams that would do just fine in the Summit or Horizon league. Just cut WSU loose to fill out some good conference as a basketball only or send us to the A-10 at least and redo all of this stuff to make it make sense.

Just thinking out loud

Comment

• Or maybe just add the entire MVFC into this MVC for all sports. WSU leaves, making it 9 then replace us with those MVFC schools raising the non-football side to 14 schools but leave the football side exactly how it looks today with 10 schools.

Comment

• B12 meets with Cincy:

bearcatsblog.com/2014-articles/sporting-news-big-12-met-with-cincinnati.html

www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-12-08/college-football-playoff-big-12-expansion-champions-bob-bowlsby-cincinnati-memphis-byu?eadid=SOC/Twi/SNMain
          "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
            Or maybe just add the entire MVFC into this MVC for all sports. WSU leaves, making it 9 then replace us with those MVFC schools raising the non-football side to 14 schools but leave the football side exactly how it looks today with 10 schools.
            Or the MVFC teams leave the MVC and then the MVC can bring in basketball only quality teams.

Comment

• This is so good on so many levels...
              Below is a post from CSNBBS... can anyone verify 'Carr Associates advised both MSU, JMU, and UAB"????
              Its a better basketball league, and the combination of Mo St and Wichita St would solve the UAB problem. Carr Associates advised both Mo St, JMU, and UAB, so its possible they strongly advised Mo St to wait and see if they can get in CUSA with UAB dropping football.
              ---------------------------
              CUSA East
              Marshall
              ODU
              Charlotte
              FIU
              FAU
              W Ky
              M Tenn St
              UAB (BB only)

CUSA West
              S Miss
              La Tech
              Mo St
              UTSA
              UTEP
              Rice
              North Texas
              Wichita St (bb only)

The additions would make CUSA much more powerful in baseball and basketball.

THIS IS A POST FROM MISSOURI STATE MESSAGE BOARD

Comment

• Does WSU really gain anything by joining CUSA? The Valley is currently ranked 10th in RPI and 9th in the Nolan Power Index while CUSA is ranked 16th in RPI and 16th in NPI.

Rice is attractive as a baseball school, but not sure about any of the other CUSA Schools.

As a football conference it is decidedly ho-hum at best and whose to say that FBS football won't become an anchor on those football playing schools the way it is now for the teams in the Valley that play FCS football.

I guess if you believe the Valley is going to implode at some point then perhaps you go for it if you don't have any better options.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 18, 2014, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• I don't see many pros to this. Maybe security since we'd be attached to a football conference? Most those teams aren't the greatest bball schools... I say we do whatever it takes to get to the big east. Sell our souls. Or at least the a-10

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                    I don't see many pros to this. Maybe security since we'd be attached to a football conference? Most those teams aren't the greatest bball schools... I say we do whatever it takes to get to the big east. Sell our souls. Or at least the a-10
                    Where do I stand in line and who do I pay to get the Big East to concede a little on the "Catholic only" idea and bring in WSU and VCU.

12 teams. Perfect. It would also revive what ought to be our true rivalries with Creighton and VCU, and it would allow us to play DePaul even more often!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                      I don't see many pros to this. Maybe security since we'd be attached to a football conference? Most those teams aren't the greatest bball schools... I say we do whatever it takes to get to the big east. Sell our souls. Or at least the a-10
                      Only benefit I could see would be for East cost recruiting. Even then, the move sounds pretty "blah" to me.

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                      Where do I stand in line and who do I pay to get the Big East to concede a little on the "Catholic only" idea and bring in WSU and VCU.

12 teams. Perfect. It would also revive what ought to be our true rivalries with Creighton and VCU, and it would allow us to play DePaul even more often!
                      They already conceded it themselves, by adding Butler. They are private, but not Catholic.

Although adding WSU and VCU would be great for basketball, it will not happen because neither are private and the Big East like the elitist ability to not share financial information.
                      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Jtaylor View Post
                        This is so good on so many levels...
                        Below is a post from CSNBBS... can anyone verify 'Carr Associates advised both MSU, JMU, and UAB"????
                        Its a better basketball league, and the combination of Mo St and Wichita St would solve the UAB problem. Carr Associates advised both Mo St, JMU, and UAB, so its possible they strongly advised Mo St to wait and see if they can get in CUSA with UAB dropping football.
                        CUSA East
                        Marshall
                        ODU
                        Charlotte
                        FIU
                        FAU
                        W Ky
                        M Tenn St
                        UAB (BB only)

CUSA West
                        S Miss
                        La Tech
                        Mo St
                        UTSA
                        UTEP
                        Rice
                        North Texas
                        Wichita St (bb only)

The additions would make CUSA much more powerful in baseball and basketball.

THIS IS A POST FROM MISSOURI STATE MESSAGE BOARD
                        This is so bad on so many levels.
                        "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• New Article by Lutz

Comment

• AAC would be a better fit.

Fewer games at altitude, better time slots for games, better name recognition opponents.
                            You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                              AAC would be a better fit.

Fewer games at altitude, better time slots for games, better name recognition opponents.
                              8 of 16 games would be in Wichita for starters (obviously). Then having divisions, 5 of 8 road games would be in New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Utah. The other 3 would be far out there but so would trips to UCONN or USF for example.

I would be tickled to death with either or.

Comment

• The only problem with the AAC is that a lot of teams in that league want to leave.

The MVC was suppose to be better this year, but ended up #11 in conference RPI in Warren Nolan.:

To be fair, http://realtimerpi.com has the MVC at #7.
                                RealTimeRPI.com: Real Time NCAA College Basketball and Sports Ratings - the most accurate independent analysis of the NCAA college basketball Rating Percentage Index (RPI)

The Mountain West is even worse than the MVC.

I will leave it to someone else to figure out why the big difference in rankings.

I think the best fit, if we leave the MVC, would be the Atlantic 10.
                                They need another team in the Midwest to go with St. Louis.

Comment

Working...
                                X