American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
    It is easy to say this, but there is no place to go. The BE is never taking WSU. The AAC doesn't want WSU. WSU is not on the Mountain West radar. So where is the opportunity?
    The AAC IS going to add a basketball school this offseason. They are not going to hold steady at 11 basketball members. That's just a weird number. They're also not going to take a full member and have a 13-team football conference. Also just a weird number. Those create bizarre and unfair scheduling arrangements.

The question is, are we going to be that basketball school? With another strong NCAA tournament, I think we are. We would bring a lot of advantages to the AAC, including geographic balance to its membership beyond the obvious basketball strength. Our competition would be Saint Louis, IMO, and I'm not sure the AAC would want to take a member that so clearly fits what the Big East is putting together. VCU would also work, but VCU might be more hesitant to switch conferences, would create an eastern imbalance in membership, and aren't having as great a year this year.

The AAC is going to expand this year. And we are in excellent position to be the school they expand with.
    Last edited by Rlh04d; January 21, 2014, 10:01 PM.
    Originally posted by BleacherReport
    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
      I havent seen ratings, but all it seems to be is MMA and big east basketball. Along with more copy cat talk shows.
      FS1 is bad:

FS1 is still a niche channel, struggling to get ratings in all aspects apart from a random UFC fight here and there. As an example, a rerun of Fish Hooks on the Disney Channel at 5 a.m. on Monday had more viewers (1,562,000) than the highest rated FS1 show last week (1,550,000 viewers on Saturday night for UFC PPV prelims). Oh, and that Fish Hooks episode was only the 146th most watched show on the channel.

FS2 is horrid:

There’s no way to sugarcoat the FS2 numbers. All 14 games failed to crack the 40,000 viewer mark and eight of those couldn’t even muster 8,000. Seton Hall’s game against Monmouth on Monday, Nov. 18 only had 1,000 people watching. At this point, FS2′s reach is so nonexistent it might actually be advantageous to be on a regional network.
      http://painttouches.com/2014/01/08/b...in-tv-ratings/

Comment

• I know some people are concerned about the AAC's stability, but I would still take it over the Valley in a heartbeat. The AAC worst-case scenario is pretty equivalent to the current state of the MVC, but there are a lot of ways this can play out where UCONN, Cincy, Memphis, SMU, etc. stay put for a very long time. Rekindling the Tulsa rivalry would be great as well.

From a budget standpoint, most AAC schools care. From a budget standpoint, most MVC schools do not. I want to be with other institutions who are at least trying.

The MWC is still my dream choice, but you can bet I'd still be doing cartwheels if the AAC ends up happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          Might as well quit with the hyperbole. Athletic Directors don't take University to new conference, University Presidents do - so you need to start talking to Bardo.

gain what conference is just waiting for WSU to say we are ready to leave? If it just up to WSU, time to call the B12 commish and tell him we are ready to come home. That will settle the KU/K-state scheduling problem.
          Of course it's NOT just up to Wichita St. But you at least got to make the AAC aware that Wichita St. may want to join the conference. I'm assuming the athletic dept and or the university president has and is already making a pitch to them. At least I hope so.......
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Ixiah View Post
            Hahaha, I actually made up something the other day, posting about this, saying something along the lines that the Disney Channel at midnight has better ratings than FS1 games. Hilarious to know my hyperbole turned out to be true!
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
              The AAC IS going to add a basketball school this offseason.
              Hey Rlh, Is this speculation on what you think they will do? Or, have you seen published reports stating that they will expand in the offseason? I'm just curious.

Long wave the yellow and black!
              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• The AAC still scares me, I'd feel better with the MWC but I know that has a much lower chance of happening. I just hope if we join the AAC we have a backup plan in case everything goes to crap.

Comment

• If WSU can upgrade conferences, I think it needs to be to the east coast. When you have to cross time zones it is better to travel east. Most games will be earlier start times which means they can get back earlier. Go west to the MWC and the game times will start at 9pm and the team wouldn't get back to ict 3am. The travel will wear them down. And that goes for all sports(see West Virginia).
                  Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                  Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                    Of course it's NOT just up to Wichita St. But you at least got to make the AAC aware that Wichita St. may want to join the conference. I'm assuming the athletic dept and or the university president has and is already making a pitch to them. At least I hope so.......
                    So, AZ, if our Shockernet collection of genius administrators sees so clearly the advantages of the AAC over the Valley -- and I personally agree that it would be a distinct step up notwithstanding the potential movement of teams ahead (a good present and potentially uncertain future is better than a mediocre to poor present and almost certain mediocre to poor future) -- why would you think WSU's president and AD might not, and might not be taking appropriate action at this very point in time? Just because we don't see anything happening from our perch at ground level doesn't mean nothing is going on in the ivory tower.

No doubt the world has plenty of poor administrators, but I see no evidence at this point that we should lump WSU's in with them, and I certainly don't intend to do so based on (quite literally) uninformed speculation and guesswork. Patience, young grasshopper.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                      I'm absolutely sure the WSU administration is doing all they can to get us out of the MVC. It takes two to tango though.
                      Is your statement based on first hand knowledge or just hope?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                        Well so I. It'd be funny if that money to the Big East dried up when the station goes belly up.

But Fox may be willing to lose money on it, with the hope of doing something else with it in the future.
                        Fox Sports started in 1995 and everyone said they couldn't survive. FX 1 started November 2013 and won the bidding for BE bball. WSU would be a great fit. As much as you want to see CU fail, I think it will work out just fine for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                          why would you think WSU's president and AD might not, and might not be taking appropriate action at this very point in time? Just because we don't see anything happening from our perch at ground level doesn't mean nothing is going on in the ivory tower.
                          Maybe my post wasn't clear....but I did say "I'm assuming the athletic dept and or the university president has and is already making a pitch to them. At least I hope so......."

So...in other words...I'm not saying they haven't tried to reach out. I'm saying...I'm assuming they have. :)
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Do you guys honestly think you are getting anywhere without football? Any links of actual articles or anything even mentioning Wichita State as a possible mover?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                              Hey Rlh, Is this speculation on what you think they will do? Or, have you seen published reports stating that they will expand in the offseason? I'm just curious.

Long wave the yellow and black!
                              Just an educated guess.

Very few conferences willingly choose to have an odd number of teams. The ACC is probably the only conference willingly doing it long-term, because of the unique situation of Notre Dame. The MVC obviously wants to always have ten members to maintain the ideal schedule of everyone playing every team twice. The A-10 has an odd number right now, but Davidson will bring them back to an even number. CAA has an odd member, but with Elon joining. Horizon has an odd number, but that's because of losing Loyola & Butler in successive years. Some of the smaller conferences are weird, but they don't have a lot of choices at their levels.

The addition of a western basketball member would also allow pod scheduling by the AAC, limiting travel costs for the western members. An 11 team schedule would randomize the pairings and cause more travel for everyone. That'd be an advantage in all Olympic sports.

The MWC and AAC are in the same boat. I seriously doubt either one wants to be an 11-member basketball league. Both have an affiliate member for football. Only reason I think AAC is more likely is because we're a geographic fit rather than an outlier.
                              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                                I just hope if we join the AAC we have a backup plan in case everything goes to crap.
                                I can't imagine the MVC not wanting us back if we left and wanted to come back. Same with Creighton if the Big East blew up.

Comment

Working...
                                X