No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I noticed on mountain west website that utah state is joining the conference. This will make 10 schools for basket ball. This would greatly affect wsu getting any kind of invite to join.

Comment

• Originally posted by comexe35 View Post
      I noticed on mountain west website that utah state is joining the conference. This will make 10 schools for basket ball. This would greatly affect wsu getting any kind of invite to join.
      No offense man, but your news flashes are always pretty far behind. That announcement came 10 months ago.

Utah State AND San Jose State are joining as full members. That raises the MWC to 12 football members, 11 for basketball.

Comment

• Thats why I made the comment. To get feedback on the situation. I dont troll the internet all day. No offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by comexe35 View Post
          Thats why I made the comment. To get feedback on the situation. I dont troll the internet all day. No offense.
          Just correcting your inaccurate post, broseph. Don't get your panties in a wad.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
            OK, so I admit to be a homer. But, explain to me why they wouldn't want to take both CU and WSU, two rival schools, at the very top of their conference, who have major BB programs, and have excellent fan support?

Money and cohesion should dictate.
            They are not interested in public schools. The main reasons are supposedly based on the differences in admissions standards and Freedom of Information Act reporting requirements. In other words, they want everyone to be on equal footing and they don't want to have to disclose every little detail. Schools need not be catholic, or even religious, but they can't be public.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum View Post
              They are not interested in public schools. The main reasons are supposedly based on the differences in admissions standards and Freedom of Information Act reporting requirements. In other words, they want everyone to be on equal footing and they don't want to have to disclose every little detail. Schools need not be catholic, or even religious, but they can't be public.
              that makes alot of sense.

Comment

• There was a AP story in December that talked about the big picture of what the catholic 7 wanted to do:

1. Reunite schools with common goals and get back on mission.

2. They preferred Catholic schools, but there were some non-catholic/non-denominational schools they though would fit. An example was Butler.

"attractive media entities" and "care about the holistic development of their student athletes"
                3. Wanted a "Mission" related conference.

4. They wanted to move to the model of the the ivy league where no athletic scholarships are given, only awards for financial need.

5. Talked about they would like to have a goal of only playing games on the weekends.

6. They would establish public service requirements and high ethical requirements for their students. They thought Butler might embrace these initiatives.

Pretty much to do this/or part of it would require schools to be private.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  There was a AP story in December that talked about the big picture of what the catholic 7 wanted to do:

1. Reunite schools with common goals and get back on mission.

2. They preferred Catholic schools, but there were some non-catholic/non-denominational schools they though would fit. An example was Butler.

3. Wanted a "Mission" related conference.

4. They wanted to move to the model of the the ivy league where no athletic scholarships are given, only awards for financial need.

5. Talked about they would like to have a goal of only playing games on the weekends.

6. They would establish public service requirements and high ethical requirements for their students. They thought Butler might embrace these initiatives.

Pretty much to do this/or part of it would require schools to be private.
                  I have a hard time believing number 4 and 5.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                    Me too. I've never heard anything along those lines and don't have any reason to believe it.

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                      Personally, I find it all hard to believe and it probably the wish list of some of the academia at those colleges. I don't know who the guys where that were doing the talking. But for those running things - it is more about power and money is my guess - not some grand ideal.
                      Last edited by SB Shock; March 5, 2013, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• It makes sense that the new conference would be part of a greater re-branding effort, and that the Ivy League is the model. After all, the formation of the Ivy League conference gave birth to the phraseology used for all schools within the conference, and came to be associated with superior education. But if you're signing TV deals right out of the box, you're off to a bad start. Not only will you be playing on weekdays, you'll be playing whenever the TV station tells you to. Do they really think Big 12 teams want to play Monday after Saturday games? But if ESPN tells you they want to draw up something called "Big Monday," you're at their call. That money is hard to quit.

If this league is going to be exclusively private, WSU is in trouble, because this was the best option. I have a hard time believing that C-USA or the Mountain West are going to take a non-football school. The A-10 would be nightmarish on the travel budget and school schedules. After that, I am having a hard time thinking up a league that wouldn't be just as bad as the MVC.

Dark days. This begs the question: Does the situation appear so dire that they would restart football just to avoid it?

Comment

• I wouldnt say dire. WSU can be strong with or without CU in the Valley. We just may have to change our approach and stop losing games to EU and SIU.

The biggest predicament is time. Im not sure that waiting a year or wont seal our fate to a sinking ship with no opportunities later. MWC has indicated a potential to add a non football school. That opportunity probably never happens again. So one would think there would have to be at least a feeler sent out.

There just aint a lot of options for WSU, it seems. But Im not going to predict doom and gloom. Our fan base will not go away, our expectations will stay high, and that is still more than what 95% of the programs in D1 have.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Just thinking through name brand programs that have left the MVC:

Iowa
                            Iowa State
                            Kansas
                            Kansas State
                            Oklahoma
                            Oklahoma State
                            Cincy
                            Detroit
                            Butler
                            Louisville
                            Memphis

I think the MVC can survive losing Creighton. But the prestige takes a hit if our leadership doesn't get serious about upgrading the loss.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Butler?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                Just thinking through name brand programs that have left the MVC:

Iowa
                                Iowa State
                                Kansas
                                Kansas State
                                Oklahoma
                                Oklahoma State
                                Cincy
                                Detroit
                                Butler
                                Louisville
                                Memphis

I think the MVC can survive losing Creighton. But the prestige takes a hit if our leadership doesn't get serious about upgrading the loss.
                                I hear what you're saying and I agree that the MVC can still survive, but do we want to be apart of what will be left. I mean I'm not trying to say it's all for loss in the MVC I still think there are some good basketball being played, but it has been a slow steady decline and it appears that the top 8 or 9 conferences are beginning to distance themselves from the rest of the field greatly.

The MVC is at two disadvantages, football isn't good and location of most schools are in small markets. I don't see any "quality" replacements for CU, there are some decent replacements that could help establish a bigger market like Denver or Detroit that are in small conferences, but I don't think they are CU level or will be.

There isn't much for us to do, a jump to the MWC is a stretch, and most conferences around us aren't better than what we will have left. MVC must get something together. What that is I don't know, maybe a Super conference with Sun Belt, Southland, or OVC. Regardless, most scenarios don't end up favorable for most in our conference.

Comment

Working...
                                X