American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
    But of WSU is in the wrong conference it might not matter.
    Yeah, that's sort of my point. If the conference is the problem, I just have to believe that the boosters will keep pushing enough buttons and turning some wheels until we find ourselves in a better situation.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
      Ill State's facilities are awful. I just don't see any MVC football school making the move to Division 1 football. I don't think the athletic success or lack thereof of the MAC of is a model WSU/MVC should follow. The MAC has gone a long, long time w/o getting an invite to the Big Dance. Yes you have Kent State in the CWS and Northern Illinois in the Orange Bowl, but those are anomolies.

WSU has the most successful athletic departments in the MVC w/o football and that is not a coincidence. Football can kill an athletic budget even at the BCS level.

I think I agree with Suellentrop from a few years ago. If WSU could be guaranteed entry into Conf USA with football, then it should be considered. But now with Conf USA sucking eggs, it makes less sense.

It is ironic that football actually killed the Big East and is causing most of their remaining marquis programs to leave.

When Tulsa left, Creighton wasn't the program they are now. Will Ill State, Bradley, MSU take that next step up? Remember that in the MVC's best year since the early 1970s, Creighton placed 4th and didn't make the dance (2006.)
      ISU is in the process of making improvements to those facilities in order to make the jump. They have the desire to move up and will within 10 years I believe.

Football COULD be a killer. But so could not having it. I don't know what the answer is, but hearing so many smaller schools bringing football back or starting it up for the first time makes me wonder. I only hope that it will get a serious look from the administration at some point. Whatever is decided then, fine.

Football killed the BE because the best football schools got promoted to better conferences. What really killed the BE was the idea of a national conference without regard for actual athletic success. That forced the hand of the C7 to protect their basketball interests. The BE will still be a decent basketball conference until they lose UConn and Cincy.

I think Bradley is stepping up. ISU is going to step out down the road. MSU still has money issues. Drake is Drake. UNI is maxed out. The Trees are building something with Lansing but I don't know if they'll be able to pay and keep it. UE is UE. No clue if SIU can come back, at least not at the same level as before Lowery.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
        The football stadium won't be harmed because of the state track meet. Makes alot of money for Wichita.
        What type of shape is Cessna in (haven't been inside in 10+ years)? I know Lawrence is going to be pushing hard for State Track with the new Rock Chalk Park facility (one of only a couple IAAF level tracks in the country), what type of work (if any) needs to be done to make sure Wichita keeps the meet?

Comment

• Has anyone noticed that our most esteemed poster with the inside info, WuDrWu, never comments on conference realignment? Do you think he knows something? Come on Doc, give us some hope!

Comment

• Scanning Bluejay Underground it appears an announcement has been delayed until tomorrow.
            In the fast lane

Comment

• I hope to hell I am wrong, but I just don't see much good coming out of all of this based on our past decades of reluctance to take any action. Perhaps our new president and ADES will step up, if there is even any stepping up to do.

Wait and See What Happens, both in the past and even today is a rather time worn, acceptable method to delay just about everything. The beauty of it for those who are reluctant or scared to death to take the initiative and make a decision is that they don’t have to chose sides or take any action at all. Problem is, you miss a lot of opportunities. Eisenhower could have coped out and not attacked Normandy at the fortunate time he did. Kennedy could have waited and waited until the Cuban Missiles were in place. But they didn’t. Yes, those were life and death situations, and no matter what course we take or are allowed to take, hopefully it does not result in a significantly reduced or a lessor sports life for WSU.

Growing up we may have even heard the wait and see approach from our mothers and fathers. Likewise doctors, bosses, stock brokers, mechanic, and practically anyone in authority. How many times in your past have you waited to see what would happen and you got left our or lost out? Or unfortunately, when it finally happens, it is normally a disaster and occurs at the worst possible time and place possible..

Nowadays, whenever I get this reply, it raises the tiny little hairs on the back of my neck. Because it is most likely that the person issuing it has no better, and perhaps a lot worse, understanding of the problem or situation than I do.

MVC wise, our university has been stalemated with this same predicament of do we stay; do we go; gee, maybe we better wait till someone invites us; or things could be a lot worse that staying in the, oops, suddenly, once again, declining MVC; like we have for the last 40 - 50 years, when virtually every quality school but us has flown the coop..

So let’s wait and see if CU really goes. Let’s wait and see if other MVC schools leave also. Let’s wait and see if other quality schools, equal to us, will join the MVC or form a new BB conference. Let’s wait and see if they will allow us to join. Let’s wait and see . . . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                I hope to hell I am wrong, but I just don't see much good coming out of all of this based on our past decades of reluctance to take any action. Perhaps our new president and ADES will step up, if there is even any stepping up to do.

Wait and See What Happens, both in the past and even today is a rather time worn, acceptable method to delay just about everything. The beauty of it for those who are reluctant or scared to death to take the initiative and make a decision is that they don’t have to chose sides or take any action at all. Problem is, you miss a lot of opportunities. Eisenhower could have coped out and not attacked Normandy at the fortunate time he did. Kennedy could have waited and waited until the Cuban Missiles were in place. But they didn’t. Yes, those were life and death situations, and no matter what course we take or are allowed to take, hopefully it does not result in a significantly reduced or a lessor sports life for WSU.

Growing up we may have even heard the wait and see approach from our mothers and fathers. Likewise doctors, bosses, stock brokers, mechanic, and practically anyone in authority. How many times in your past have you waited to see what would happen and you got left our or lost out? Or unfortunately, when it finally happens, it is normally a disaster and occurs at the worst possible time and place possible..

Nowadays, whenever I get this reply, it raises the tiny little hairs on the back of my neck. Because it is most likely that the person issuing it has no better, and perhaps a lot worse, understanding of the problem or situation than I do.

MVC wise, our university has been stalemated with this same predicament of do we stay; do we go; gee, maybe we better wait till someone invites us; or things could be a lot worse that staying in the, oops, suddenly, once again, declining MVC; like we have for the last 40 - 50 years, when virtually every quality school but us has flown the coop..

So let’s wait and see if CU really goes. Let’s wait and see if other MVC schools leave also. Let’s wait and see if other quality schools, equal to us, will join the MVC or form a new BB conference. Let’s wait and see if they will allow us to join. Let’s wait and see . . . . .
                I was gonna reply to this, but I ... well I ... I just wasn't sure if it was the right time, or if I was thinking right about this. I'll wait and see how others respond.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  I was gonna reply to this, but I ... well I ... I just wasn't sure if it was the right time, or if I was thinking right about this. I'll wait and see how others respond.
                  I'll reply. WSU's new leadership appears to be very pro-active.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                    I agree. Fingers crossed.

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                      Very.

But is it too little too late?

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                        Very.

But is it too little too late?
                        It's definitely not too late. But too little is an excellent question.

Comment

• I sure hope Bardo has a plan, a backup plan, and a backup for the backup plan.

And regardless of what we do, the MVC has some decisions to make going forward. I have more faith in Bardo working on something positive for WSU than I do for Elgin and Co. for the MVC
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• With the official announcement of the league startup for the new Big East, when will they announce the other 3?

Comment

• Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

As expected, no word on new members. New league starts this summer, they get the Big East name and play their conference tournament in Madison Square Garden.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

• Denver and Belmont lead the list

Comment

Working...
                                X