American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
    The big east would be so great if something like that happened. We have no rivalries in the MVC and it's such a frustrating competitive level.

In this idealistic version of the big east we would immediately have great rivalries with creighton and vcu again. We would have such great travel destinations too. I have to say, if the big east added these 4 teams it would make complete sense because the conference would become a super power in basketball. It's already very solid. What a tough, competitive environment. The days of only being allowed one or two conference losses would be over.
    So would the days of only having 1 or 2 conference losses, but it would b gr8

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
      I'd be very, very surprised if the Big East even gave us a cursory evaluation. There are two catholic programs in Dayton and St. Louis that are more in line for the Big Priest. They're geographically more friendly, Dayton and Xavier are natural rivals, have academic profiles that the Big Priest loves, and obviously bigger media markets.

You can guarantee Creighton will vote us down and I'd have a feeling we wouldn't get much love from the other snob universities too. Those guys have their noses up so high, they don't even want St. Joe's in the Big East and that is a huge Philly market.
      Ah, so 3 years of tearing down Creighton by SN's about joining the BE means all CU feels the same way about WSU? I've seen them being nothing but complimentary about WSU's success.
      Baseball and basketball would be enhanced. Sounds like they will be adding teams after this season. And WSU has been in conversations. As has UCONN, Dayton and St Louis. I don't think the BE will stop at 2 teams. Not when it can turn itself into a basketball power conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
        I've seen them being nothing but complimentary about WSU's success.
        Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
        Baseball and basketball would be enhanced.
        WTF are you even talking about?

Comment

• If the BE is strongly in play, why all the talk of football by the administration? Seems odd.
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
            Ah, so 3 years of tearing down Creighton by SN's about joining the BE means all CU feels the same way about WSU? I've seen them being nothing but complimentary about WSU's success.
            Baseball and basketball would be enhanced. Sounds like they will be adding teams after this season. And WSU has been in conversations. As has UCONN, Dayton and St Louis. I don't think the BE will stop at 2 teams. Not when it can turn itself into a basketball power conference.
            I really think it makes a lot of sense for the big east to do this. Maintaining a private school situation is one thing but if they add the right schools, they can really become the best basketball conference year after year. In a world where the future of football is uncertain and there is a P5 always threatening to make it tougher and tougher on everyone else, forming a super power basketball conference that is better than most of the P5 each year seems like a really good way to position yourself for the future. The big east is already pretty close to that. Add the right next wave of schools and they can run away with it.

And about trashing CU for three years I'll be the first to admit tht everything I say to that end is coming from the rivalry and the fun of it. Id love to have that back. It's pretty safe to say almost all of us respect CU 10x more than any of these MVC schools trying to pretend they have a rivalry with WSU. Having said that. Did I mention creighton sucks?

Comment

• Not that there are any rumblings whatsoever from other schools on this list to support this theory, I do find it plausible to think that if the Big East made a power play for WSU, Zags, VCU, and Dayton/st. louis they would effectively relegate 3 mid-major conferences to one-bid leagues and put together one heck of an argument for a better TV deal. The only other conference who could really benefit from this kind of reach without dilutiing their brand is the Big 12, but they are too worried about convincing the world that their football brand is valuable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yellow Bellied View Post
                Not that there are any rumblings whatsoever from other schools on this list to support this theory, I do find it plausible to think that if the Big East made a power play for WSU, Zags, VCU, and Dayton/st. louis they would effectively relegate 3 mid-major conferences to one-bid leagues and put together one heck of an argument for a better TV deal. The only other conference who could really benefit from this kind of reach without dilutiing their brand is the Big 12, but they are too worried about convincing the world that their football brand is valuable.
                I was thinkin about Gonzaga too. If something did happen it would be awfully sad to see them left out of it but they are in such a terrible location for it. They certainly belong for every other reason though.

Comment

I really think it makes a lot of sense for the big east to do this. Maintaining a private school situation is one thing but if they add the right schools, they can really become the best basketball conference year after year. In a world where the future of football is uncertain and there is a P5 always threatening to make it tougher and tougher on everyone else, forming a super power basketball conference that is better than most of the P5 each year seems like a really good way to position yourself for the future. The big east is already pretty close to that. Add the right next wave of schools and they can run away with it.

And about trashing CU for three years I'll be the first to admit tht everything I say to that end is coming from the rivalry and the fun of it. Id love to have that back. It's pretty safe to say almost all of us respect CU 10x more than any of these MVC schools trying to pretend they have a rivalry with WSU. Having said that. Did I mention creighton sucks?
                  I met a guy in Vegas (at mass of all places) that is a Creighton fan. We talked a bit about how much we despised each other's teams, how they were the worst to lose to, and how much both schools and most of both school's fan bases miss that rivalry.
                  "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Yes, if the Big East happened, the first time I ran into CU fans I would be so happy to see them there would be hugs for everyone, right up until we started trading insults.

Comment

• Remember the football talk is really talk of all possible athletics additions. The Big East plays soccer. I believe all of them do. I'm sure there is also swimming and those types of sports.

I read a fan forum from the big East and saw only one mention of WSU in about 20 pages.

Comment

• The Pontiff has spoken. Pope Francis said they should build bridges, not walls. Adding a public university or two would be bridge building. Excluding non-Catholic, public institutions is discriminatory and building a wall. Pope Francis is for adding WSU to the Big East.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                          If the BE is strongly in play, why all the talk of football by the administration? Seems odd.
                          It's always a good idea to have a plan A,B,C,D,E, and F?

Comment

• All this talk is getting my hopes up more than likely to be crushed. I would love to the in the Big East. It is essentially the 2000's mid-major dream team minus the Mountain West and Gonzaga. We couldn't find a safer conference with only nonfootball teams. I actually like their tv package, and maybe adding WSU/VCU/Dayton would increase their tv ratings. Let alone to have Creighton and VCU rivalries again would be incredible. Plus, it would all but assure that only a few programs in the country could lure away Gregg.
                            Last edited by Heinro; February 29, 2016, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heinro View Post
                              I actually like theirt tv package
                              Their package will get a lot bigger if they add a Gregg Marshall coached team. Do what you will with that statement :)

You could say they will be able to let their tv package hang.

Comment

• It was about this time a few years ago when the Creighton rumors started heating up, right?

This would be the irony of all ironies. We spend a few years bashing the "Big Least" and its podunk TV partner FS1, only to find ourselves being invited to it. It's funny only because I don't think it'll happen. But if it did, I'd like it because the BE is not the MVC.
                                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X