American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by giskard View Post
    If they dropped football, their total expenditures would go down and it is likely the subsidy percentage would drop. At the MVFC level, football doesn't tend to make a profit.
    That's a tough ask for these schools that are quite literally competing for a national championship every year at the level they compete at.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
      That's a tough ask for these schools that are quite literally competing for a national championship every year at the level they compete at.
      I'm actually a pretty good fan of the MVFC. I appreciate the fact that many of these schools are solid for FCS. I may be insane, but I don't actually mind the idea of WSU playing in the MVFC. I would still absolutely participate as a fan. If we bring football back and have to hang out in the MVFC for a few years, I wouldn't exactly hate it. Although, it would probably feel nice knowing we were hopefully headed for an FBS conference later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
        I'm actually a pretty good fan of the MVFC. I appreciate the fact that many of these schools are solid for FCS. I may be insane, but I don't actually mind the idea of WSU playing in the MVFC. I would still absolutely participate as a fan. If we bring football back and have to hang out in the MVFC for a few years, I wouldn't exactly hate it. Although, it would probably feel nice knowing we were hopefully headed for an FBS conference later.
        The top half of the MVFC is solid and could be compared to an average Mac school in terms of competitiveness. NDSU is obviously another head above that and more akin to a mid level MWC team. It's good football but has the stigma of being "D2" in our area because there are no FCS schools in Ok, KS, or NE. It would be a great landing spot for us to start football as recruiting wise, we are right in the middle of a gold mine. Currently all the "Tweener" talent (guys the big XII doesn't want) have to leave the region to play FCS or G5 football. Btw, these are the kids that NDSU has made a living on having won the past 5 National Championship. Bring em in, coach em up and let it rip. They primarily recruit Wisconsin(no FCS or G5) Minnesota (no FCS or G5) and Nebraska (no FCS or G5)....See a trend :)

Comment

• Interesting...

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
            No shock that Creighton would want us. Natural rival, easy travel, likely have he same perspective on other decisions. Not sure how seriously the rest of the presidents will take it, especially since Gonzaga seems like a reach.

Edit: perspective not prospective

Comment

• Originally posted by WUpigsooie View Post
              No shock that Creighton would want us. Natural rival, easy travel, likely have he same prospective on other decisions. Not sure how seriously the rest of the presidents will take it, especially since Gonzaga seems like a reach.
              Why not St. Louis instead of Gonzaga in my opinion?

Comment

Or Dayton or VCU. A conference on 2 coasts makes little sense

Comment

I was intrigued up until the point that I saw Bob Lutz wrote the article.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                    I was intrigued up until the point that I saw Bob Lutz wrote the article.
                    So, let me guess. That would mean it's an article about either Conner Frankamp or WSU changing conferences. Given the thread we're in, I have my guess which one. How many times can he rewrite the same columns?

Comment

Besides cost of airfare asides, traveling for one game out west doesn't seem that bad, considering Gonzaga would have to fly East 11 times compared to rest of conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                        So, let me guess. That would mean it's an article about either Conner Frankamp or WSU changing conferences. Given the thread we're in, I have my guess which one. How many times can he rewrite the same columns?
                        At least one more time. It was almost like he was trying to write a news story not an editorial.

Comment

Meh, it doesn't do it for me.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WUpigsooie View Post
                            Or Dayton or VCU. A conference on 2 coasts makes little sense
                            Well, it is the Big EAST, and Gonzaga is pretty far east in Washington. Of course, St. Louis is also as far east as you can go in Missouri, and they're already part of the ATLANTIC 10+4, so adding them shouldn't be that big a transition. Rasmussen just prefers Gonzaga because they're actually good at basketball, which is something than can't be said consistently for St. Louis.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                              Well, it is the Big EAST, and Gonzaga is pretty far east in Washington. Of course, St. Louis is also as far east as you can go in Missouri, and they're already part of the ATLANTIC 10+4, so adding them shouldn't be that big a transition. Rasmussen just prefers Gonzaga because they're actually good at basketball, which is something than can't be said consistently for St. Louis.
                              Gonzaga and Wichita State would make a big splash and immediately create television money. Dayton may be a hard sell with Xavier so close.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                Meh, it doesn't do it for me.
                                It would probably do it for Gregg and help recruiting.

Comment

Working...
                                X