No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For some reason those blooper videos gave me an overwhelming sense of deja vu. Dadgummit!

Comment

• This may be some KCShox level downerism, but after the last few years of CTE revelations, part of me wonders if we wouldn't be getting a football program just in time to go down with the ship.

There are now several athletes, many of them current and former professional football players, who are saying they will never let their kids play football. Even so, there will probably always be plenty of kids willing to play in college, but the quality of those players will surely diminish. I sense the NFL is on the brink of getting the bejeezus sued out of it--especially when you hear that they've known of the risks but have shielded the players from that knowledge. The NCAA will surely be next.

Up here in KC, I know many people who are dropping their Chiefs season tickets and purchasing more Royals tickets. Of course, common sense tells anyone that the Royals winning the championship has a lot to do with it. But many have told me that, the more they've learned about CTE and other issues, the more they just don't feel like watching a sport that's ruining the players' futures.

Short of a breakthrough in helmet design that greatly attenuates the risk--which may simply be an impossibility--I can easily see football as we know it being drastically different in another 20 years.
      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• I'm actually an optimists when it comes to the future of football. Right now, little league football is teaching kids how to tackle the right way (heads up). In addition, numerous engineering firms are attempting to make a better football helmet through various 3D printing methods and materials. If we can put a man on the moon, then we can certainly build a helmet that can better protect a player's head by distributing the impact force (like body armor does with a bullet). The NFL is funding research for the advancement of new helmet technology (lord knows they have the money to do so). Imagine the company who can engineer the perfect helmet? Think how much money they would make from selling these helmets. There's money to be made, the race is on.

Comment

• CTE concerns is one of the questions I want answered for sure.
          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• You have to play at FCS first for two years. Look up Texas-San Antonio and Georgia State for the best examples.

Comment

• Let's just say if the decision is made by President Bardo and we get accepted into either the MWC and AAC, just what is the timeframe involved to obtain Div 1 football status in our case whereby we don't even have a football team at any level?

Do we first have to establish football at a lesser level than Div 1?

If so, it appears it will take a minimum of 3 years to obtain Div 2 status and likely 3 more years to obtain Div 1?

For example, Emory Riddle University is in the process of moving up to Div 2 from a lower status.

"Achieving full NCAA Division II membership typically takes three years, provided the athletic department successfully completes each phase of the membership process. The NCAA committee reviews each school in the process annually to determine if the institution should repeat any year in the process. There is not a guarantee to move from one year to the next. Embry-Riddle will spend two years in candidacy status and then one year as a provisional member of NCAA Division II before gaining full membership status."

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                Let's just say if the decision is made by President Bardo and we get accepted into either the MWC and AAC, just what is the timeframe involved to obtain Div 1 football status in our case whereby we don't even have a football team at any level?

Do we first have to establish football at a lesser level than Div 1?

If so, it appears it will take a minimum of 3 years to obtain Div 2 status and likely 3 more years to obtain Div 1?

For example, Emory Riddle University is in the process of moving up to Div 2 from a lower status.

"Achieving full NCAA Division II membership typically takes three years, provided the athletic department successfully completes each phase of the membership process. The NCAA committee reviews each school in the process annually to determine if the institution should repeat any year in the process. There is not a guarantee to move from one year to the next. Embry-Riddle will spend two years in candidacy status and then one year as a provisional member of NCAA Division II before gaining full membership status."
                As a DI institution, we are not starting any sports in DII. Football would start as FCS, then transition to FBS.
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by Jtaylor View Post
                  You have to play at FCS first for two years. Look up Texas-San Antonio and Georgia State for the best examples.
                  When is Missouri State going to start playing at FCS level? :)

Comment

• A letter from Bardo that further clarifies where he's coming from in regards to football and conference change.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                      A letter from Bardo that further clarifies where he's coming from in regards to football and conference change.
                      Everything he mentions makes alot of sense. Im afraid that there are many people who will only see the mention of football and automaticallt balk, even though this is aboit much more.

Comment

• Bardo is the man! I've said it before, he is a leader with vision and passion.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• He is really holding himself to the tagline on one of the WSU ad panels at Eisenhower National:

"We journey to destinations that do not yet exist."
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• While he didn't admit it, I still feel the deal is done: conference change will happen soon. This letter helps solidify my feelings.

Comment

• I just dont know why you would publicize these things if there is a strong probability that staus quo will remain.

Furthermore, if the status quo is deemed best, how long before it will be reevaluated again? It cant be in perpetuity.

Its all very interesting.
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• I was under the impression from Dr. Bardo's previous public remarks that it was FBS football or nothing. In this letter it appears that he has not closed the door on the possibility of adding FCS football. Or did I misread that or misinterpret that?

Comment

Working...
                                X