American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    ZOMG they don't just put it in the same lame city every year and expect the only fans in the league that care to travel the farthest? Can a model like that possibly work?
    You know that you're poking fun at something that is "historic", don't you?
    ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
      I had the same reaction, but the author is Jon Rothstein, who is an insider for CBS and I guess now FanRagSports.
      They also have Jon Heyman as a baseball insider.

It's definitely a legit site nowadays. By the title of the website though I could see how people would think it was completely fake or without merit.

Comment

• I just can't really get that excited about AAC other than "it's not the valley." Give me the Big East where basketball is king. If Big East is not an option (please spare me) then I guess this is fine.

Comment

• I think one point outside of basketball that points to this move is institutional fit. What is the mold of a school in the Valley? IMHO, you have two distinct flavors of school in the Valley. Type 1: Small one-name private schools. Bradley, Drake, Evansville, Loyola. Loyola is actually the black sheep with a much higher enrollment and much larger endowment, and the only current religious connection. Type 2: Off-brand public schools. You have directional colleges like UNI and SIU and then your "State" schools like Missouri State, Indiana State, and Illinois State. These schools typically have DII football, and are usually outside the biggest cities in their state (exception: Des Moines).

Wichita State is not in either of those molds. The mold we fit in is "city college." Colleges built in the urban centers of their state that have an identity mostly centered around the city, not the state as a whole. The best example would be the charter members of the Metro Conference: Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Memphis, Saint Louis, Tulane. Additionally, our old rivals in Tulsa. While the AAC isn't a perfect institutional fit, it has many members of that defunct Metro Conference and probably our closest match in Tulsa. I think this is a much matter match in terms of culture, even though we lose a lifetime of history with the Missouri Valley.

And of course, it simply is and likely will be a better conference than the MVC going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            It was one of the obstacles (the biggest one, actually) the Rothstein article mentioned.
            I saw that too, but lost focus when he segued over to the other obstacle, the fat shot put and discus chicks from ECU not fitting through the turnstyles at Cessna Stadium. Gonna need an upgrade to be bariatric compliant in the AAC.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Did Jon just wake up and decide to ask AAC contacts about adding WSU? Seems like a pretty detailed oriented question to ask out of the blue. I wonder how the tip emerged for him to dig deeper, or if he just asked a few folks what the meetings were about and 4 coughed up the idea of adding WSU, prompting him to write the story. Just seems kinda curious that it was not just 'AAC Expansion' but specifically WSU.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                I just can't really get that excited about AAC other than "it's not the valley." Give me the Big East where basketball is king. If Big East is not an option (please spare me) then I guess this is fine.
                Yeah, it'd sure suck to potentially play UCONN, Cincy, Memphis, SMU, Houston, Temple, Tulsa, and SMU twice every year over Loyola, Drake, Evansville, and the like.

WTF... gah!

Comment

• Regardless of whether this happens or not, it's fun to read about it and keep seeing things like: "They give us another solid perennial NCAA team."

Comment

• Heating up... discussions with several conferences.

Comment

I just can't really get that excited about AAC other than "it's not the valley." Give me the Big East where basketball is king. If Big East is not an option (please spare me) then I guess this is fine.

The Big East has 10 basketball schools. Find them another solid basketball school that makes the tournament every year, that doesn't have football, and is interested in moving conferences and then maybe they'd go up to 12.

Good luck!

The AAC is probably our best bet at this point in terms of basketball only.

Oh, and this school should also bring an untapped TV market with them, because the Big East isn't going to be interested in VCU or George Mason.
                      Last edited by XManCometh; December 15, 2016, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        Yeah, it'd sure suck to potentially play UCONN, Cincy, Memphis, SMU, Houston, Temple, Tulsa, and SMU twice every year over Loyola, Drake, Evansville, and the like.

WTF... gah!
                        Right, and you're already bitching about the weak sisters of the AAC on another thread so I guess we get the best of both worlds.

Comment

Right, and you're already bitching about the weak sisters of the AAC on another thread so I guess we get the best of both worlds.
                          Sorry, not going to let you hijack context like that.

In the thread you're mentioning I specifically said we should schedule (in the hypothetical) upper half AAC teams.

I said nothing negative about the AAC whatsoever, so stop making stuff up.

Besides, you even mentioning the BE as a home for the Shocks shows a terrific lack of BBIQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
                            The Big East has 10 basketball schools. Find them another solid basketball school that makes the tournament every year, that doesn't have football, and is interested in moving conferences and then maybe they'd go up to 12.

Good luck!

The AAC is probably our best bet at this point in terms of basketball only.

Oh, and this school should also bring an untapped TV market with them, because the Big East isn't going to be interested in VCU or George Mason.
                            I have no control over which conference WSU Athletics resides in so no need to wish me luck. The AAC just hasn't ever excited me as much as MWC or Big East. That's just me. Obviously plenty of other people are excited about it which is great. If it actually happens I'll have some time to come around on the conference. It would certainly be a step up from the Valley.

Comment

• The timeline of:

1. AAC does nothing but wait around.
                              2. No AAC schools are taken in B12 realignment
                              3. AAC has meetings and discuss improving conference by adding WSU

has a bit of a positive look to it to me.

Comment

• The little detail about, "it won't happen in 2017-18, but is possible for 2018-19" is MIGHTY encouraging. That level of detail indicates something beyond a casual conversation.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X