No announcement yet.

Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If anything it will be nice to have another big man come in when Stutz, Ellis, Durely and Blair all get in foul trouble. That seems to happen to us a lot this year.

Comment

• Can anyone comment on the coaching at Three Rivers? How I feel about the "He's a freshman, don't expect big numbers now" argument depends a lot on whether I think he's being taught the things it takes a big man many many reps to master.

Just as tenant farmers have little incentive to make improvements to their land, a JUCO coach whose raw project center was committed to a 4-yr program well before even arriving might not invest the optimal amount of time in developing long-term skill sets. I hope this isn't the case, but I do worry a bit that the transition might not be as smooth as we hope.

On the other hand, the opportunity to work with a veteran Durley, who has one of the best arrays of post moves I've seen in a long time (and that includes my Hoyas as well) and a Garrett Stutz who can speak from first hand experience about the difference strength with the ball, aggressiveness, and quick decision making can make will go a long way in getting EO up to speed quickly. I've heard good things this year about Durley stepping up as a leader and mentor; here's hoping he and Stutz are up to the task next year.

Comment

• I think Gene Bess is probably one of the top juco coaches in the country. But I have no idea what their reputation is for developing big men.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCShockerFan05
          Can anyone comment on the coaching at Three Rivers? How I feel about the "He's a freshman, don't expect big numbers now" argument depends a lot on whether I think he's being taught the things it takes a big man many many reps to master.

Just as tenant farmers have little incentive to make improvements to their land, a JUCO coach whose raw project center was committed to a 4-yr program well before even arriving might not invest the optimal amount of time in developing long-term skill sets. I hope this isn't the case, but I do worry a bit that the transition might not be as smooth as we hope.

On the other hand, the opportunity to work with a veteran Durley, who has one of the best arrays of post moves I've seen in a long time (and that includes my Hoyas as well) and a Garrett Stutz who can speak from first hand experience about the difference strength with the ball, aggressiveness, and quick decision making can make will go a long way in getting EO up to speed quickly. I've heard good things this year about Durley stepping up as a leader and mentor; here's hoping he and Stutz are up to the task next year.
          Tenant farmers.

I admire the reference.
          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Coach Bess is one of the winningest coaches at any level in the country. Problem is, and Marcus A can go further into it, but it seems he is starting to step back and let his assistants do much of coaching. Think Bob Knight his last year at Tech. They have agood staff and I don't see us basically placing him there if DO and most importantly Coach Marshall didn't think he would be taught the right way.

Comment

• And they have had quite a few bigs through recently including Jeremy something that was HM AA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snapshot9
                This year is really like his 'Freshman' year as far as actually playing, so next year would be a 'Sophmore' year of playing. If he makes strides next year like Stutz has this year, his Sophmore year, we will, indeed, be alright.

We should have the best 1-2 Centers in the MVC next year.
                We have it this year.
                In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan
                  If anything it will be nice to have another big man come in when Stutz, Ellis, Durely and Blair all get in foul trouble. That seems to happen to us a lot this year.
                  I have mentioned several times that I thought it may have been better to have Hamilton play this year and redshirt next season for basketball purposes only. I do understand, for acedemic purposes, it is better that a player redshirt the first year and get classwork in order early. Next year we will have 6 players who can play the 4 or 5.
                  Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

• Next year we will have 6 players who can play the 4 or 5.
                    And 6 who can play the 1,2. or 3, plus a player to be named later.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Big guys

Mr. Bond, I've thought about the six 4 or 5 position players for next year, too, and I don't see how the minutes are going to work if everybody stays healthy and no one (among those who few still have a redshirt year available) takes one voluntarily.

From the talk I've seen on here about Hamilton's athleticism, and his interest in (and maybe knack for) shooting the three, I'm wondering (hoping?) that he may be able to play SF himself.

Comment

• Until I see Hamilton do it with my own two eyes he's nothing but a PF. I do think his minutes will be lacking next year being behind the same 4 guys this year and a seven foot Nigerian being around. Hopefully he's OK with that and will be ready to step in as a RS SO and be a factor. Or if he can push a JR/SR out of playing time that means we'll be that much better.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Not sure how that clears up minutes. Right now, the "3" minutes are being split by Hatch and Kyles, who are both back; plus we add Richardson to that mix.

Comment

• Here we go again with talk about a person playing a small forward position just because they are tall and athletic (for their size). Ellis is a 4 and so is Hamilton. Kyle Wilson was also a 4.

Comment

• Hamilton

Monster, I'll be the first to admit I don't know whether Hamilton can play SF at a big-time Division 1 level, which is obviously the way Marshall regards WSU and is working to position the program.

But one of the things that frequently keeps taller Shockers who would like to be combo forwards from succeeding is the inability to keep up with opposing SFs on the defensive end. They just aren't quick or mobile enough. In Hamilton's case, though, he was a skill position football player -- a receiver and very tall defensive back (!), which suggests that he may have the athletic ability to keep up with SFs.

Obviously, there's more to playing SF than just that -- ballhandling, for example, which is supposedly a point of emphasis for Hamilton this year. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if the coaches are hoping he can fit into that slot and planning to give him a chance to show he can, because it would help clear a real thicket of bodies trying to divide up 80 minutes at the 4-5 positions next season if everyone is healthy.

Comment

• X had the skills to play the 3 also but I don't think the experimentation ever happened. Steve Grayer was tried at a perimeter position because he was a good athlete. It didn't work. Antoine Carr played the 3 the first couple of years to fit him into a lineup with Levingston and Ozell Jones. He was a much better player when he was able to play inside later in his career. These players all had much better skills than Hamilton. The 4 position is the right fit for Hamilton and it'll never happen for him to play the 3. That is all I have.

Comment

Working...
                                X