No announcement yet.

Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Orukpe is starting to get the senior "click" that other centers have had for us. He is playing more from instinct, and seems to know his role. We can't expect him to score 10+ points a night, but we don't need him to. We need him to be a threat on offense (enough to draw defenders and force his defender to adjust to him), but he doesn't necessarily have to fulfill that threat very often. Just enough to keep defenses honest.

On the defensive side, he currently would be a Top 10 player in terms of block percentage at 13.4% (meaning he blocks the ball on 13.4% of opponent's possession while he is in) if he qualified on a minutes standpoint. He's pretty close, and probably will get those minutes when he is at full strength.

Comment

• I'm just a little disappointed we have not, and may not, be able to see EO operate at his full athletic potential this year due to the ankle injury. Hopefully, he will get close to 100% sooner than later.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
        A better question would be, "How many big guys could run and finish the break at 65% like he did last night?"
        None that I can think of.

Comment

• The dunks and put-back were nice as well as the offensive boards!

Those jump-hooks though were mostly the law of averages catching up in one game. Those have been mostly clanging off the rim for most of the season. It still looks like he's just throwing the ball near the rim and hoping it goes in. I hope he can continue to put those in the basket but I have a feeling we're going to continue to see 2/3rds to 3/4ths of them miss. I've never seen such an awkward looking shot go in with any consistency.

But that doesn't take away anything from the other areas where he excelled. And even without those two awkward baskets, I'll take 6 points, 6 boards, 2 blocks, 3 steals, 1 TO and 1 foul per game all season long from the big guy!

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            And even without those two awkward baskets, I'll take 6 points, 6 boards, 2 blocks, 3 steals, 1 TO and 1 foul per game all season long from the big guy!
            I believe anyone would.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
              None that I can think of.
              Quite a number of NBA guys could, but other than that.............

Comment

• Orukpe's offense prowess is much maligned by many. I wonder what percentage of those folks realize he is shooting 50% on the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  Yes but I wasn't thinking about them. Was Patrick O'Bryant able to when he was at Bradley?

Comment

• I may be in the minority but I like the jump hook in the lane. especially if the guards can learn to make that pass high enough to where he doesn't have to
                    bring it down, just turn to the basket and flip his wrist.
                    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
                    which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      Cold is dreaming about sugar plums tonight.
                      I'll be honest with you, I had to change my shorts twice while watching the game last night and it wasn't because of #1 or #2.

It's not that I am infatuated with EO's basketball career, it's that I know what this team could be capable of with an EO clicking on all cylinders. I'm telling you folks; if EO continues to improve as the year goes on, and Cle becomes the big bright shining star I believe he will be, and Wiggins learns to play just a touch of defense, we have enough talent on this team to win it all.

Sure it takes a lot of luck to win it all, but if and when we lose, nobody is going to say we were over-matched in size or talent. If things keep going the way they are, two of our injured starters may find out they aren't starters anymore. Right now my dream team is Mal, DWill, Wiggins, Cle, and EO. But wait a minute.. where is Carl Hall going to fit back in? Are you telling me we are going to bring Cle off the bench? Holy S we are loaded...

T

...:cool:

Comment

• I loved reading on shockwaves that Paul s. was surprised at how little offense drake ran through van deest. He chalked it up to van deest not being what he used to be after all the injuries.

Maybe that's the case but I'm chalking it up to EO!... Where it belongs. Drake tried to use van deest and EO kept denying entry passes and blocking shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                          I'll be honest with you, I had to change my shorts twice while watching the game last night and it wasn't because of #1 or #2.

It's not that I am infatuated with EO's basketball career, it's that I know what this team could be capable of with an EO clicking on all cylinders. I'm telling you folks; if EO continues to improve as the year goes on, and Cle becomes the big bright shining star I believe he will be, and Wiggins learns to play just a touch of defense, we have enough talent on this team to win it all.

Sure it takes a lot of luck to win it all, but if and when we lose, nobody is going to say we were over-matched in size or talent. If things keep going the way they are, two of our injured starters may find out they aren't starters anymore. Right now my dream team is Mal, DWill, Wiggins, Cle, and EO. But wait a minute.. where is Carl Hall going to fit back in? Are you telling me we are going to bring Cle off the bench? Holy S we are loaded...

T

...:cool:
                          I think depending on matchup we go MA, DW, Early, Beast, EO (against larger teams) and MA, DW, Cotton, Early, Beast (against smaller teams). Wiggins fits in nicely as a scorer off the bench in both scenarios.

Comment

• Orukpe had 3 steals and "2" blocks in the Drake game. This is one steal shy of the league's MVP totals. For the season. At 31 MPG. Orukpe was only at 65% when he did this. Defense never gets the glory. Unless you have a misguided sense of glory that involves teammates and a championship.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              Maybe AC could. I remember a game, I think against Tulsa, where he played most of the game on a bad leg.

Comment

• EO has been saving the best for his Senior Season. No, he is still not a franchise player but his performance last night was a breath of fresh air. He has paid his dues, he has put in his extra efforts on his own to improve, and now at a team level, we are reaping the fruits of his labor. Last but not least. EO is having fun and enjoying the game and is executing his role nicely.
                                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                                X