No announcement yet.

Conner Frankamp is a Shocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After finals. 2 weeks. He has to be admitted and enrolled and no longer on scholarship at KU.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• On a side note, I wonder if coach is going to appeal this last semester. While Conner was on financial aid, he did not participate in team activities. Maybe possibly that could count as sitting out one semester? It would be nice to have him all season next year, but I guess it's a max of 6-7 games he'll miss.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Quick Overview of the Math (for myself more than anything)

13 Scholarships
        -2 Grads (Cotton SG, Carter PF)
        +5 Recruits (Frankamp SG, McDuffie SF, Shamet SG, Taylor SG, Hamilton PF)

Taylor (SG) and Hamilton (PF) are currently at Prep schools so they would make 13 scholarships.

This leaves Shamet SG, McDuffie SF, and Frankamp SG to take into consideration.

Since Shamet and McDuffie were recruited they cannot "pay their way" and play, although they could "pay their way" and redshirt or they could go prep. I am not sure if Frankamp could "pay his way" and play like MA, or if he would be considered a "recruit". If you are recruited you cannot walk-on and play per NCAA rules.

I would assume someone on the current roster is leaving which would free up a spot (100% speculation). Like mentioned previously Shamet and McDuffie are our highest recruits, however I am sure Shamet could use the prep year to get stronger, as we are heavy at the guard spot.

So, Shamet to Prep, McDuffie to replace a transfer (or go Prep), and Frankamp to pay his way (if possible per NCAA). All 100% speculation on my part.
        “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
        -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

• For those of the opinion that our newest commit doesn't measure up in their evaluation I offer this and only this:

What's the downside? The young man is going to be a walkon. Are you bothered at night by nightmares of how Jared Walker is going to affect our seed in March? There is no downside imho only an incredible upside. Hopefully that will soothe your fears.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            For those of the opinion that our newest commit doesn't measure up in their evaluation I offer this and only this:

What's the downside? The young man is going to be a walkon. Are you bothered at night by nightmares of how Jared Walker is going to affect our seed in March? There is no downside imho only an incredible upside. Hopefully that will soothe your fears.
            Yes, this was my point earlier in this thread. The risk/reward ratio is excellent. In the investing world this investment would be considered a "fat pitch" that you must swing at.
            “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
            -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
              On a side note, I wonder if coach is going to appeal this last semester. While Conner was on financial aid, he did not participate in team activities. Maybe possibly that could count as sitting out one semester? It would be nice to have him all season next year, but I guess it's a max of 6-7 games he'll miss.
              it wouldn't count as being enrolled at WSU, however........

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                For those of the opinion that our newest commit doesn't measure up in their evaluation I offer this and only this:

Most of the people that I've heard complain are proclaimed fans of both teams that are really just KU fans with a mild interest in Wichita State because they live here. It doesn't take much to see what's really going on there either. I don't know why the local media is making a big deal about it. Unless they really don't see what's going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                  Taylor is currently at Hargrave and can't go to prep for another year.
                  I would not expect Taylor, who is in an elite prep program already, to need any additional seasoning time. But a player who is in a prep school's undergrad program can certainly go to another prep school to join their post-grad program; it's not uncommon at all with (usually) high-ceiling recruits who bounce from one prep school to another before finally ending up in college.

Edit: As for the concern I saw expressed about how Conner loves KU, that doesn't bother me at all.

In reading about Alabama football and their recruiting as I do, I can't tell you how many times I've read about a guy who grew up rooting for Auburn but ended up at Bama, or some variation on that theme involving different schools (or even, unfortunately, the reverse once in a while). Lots of high end recruits, whatever their academic abilities -- speaking more of football than Conner here -- have the common sense or are well enough advised by parents and coaches to recognize that their college choice is basically a business decision and to set aside the fan emotion aspect of things. Also, we've read that Ron Baker rooted for KU as a kid and thinks Allen Fieldhouse is an awesome basketball venue. Does that cause anyone to worry about Baker's complete, 100% Shockerness? I certainly don't.
                  Last edited by WSUwatcher; December 2, 2014, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• Are we done with our Connorgasm yet? I'll wait a year or so to pass judgement on how he pans out. In the meantime there are a dozen plus guys who have put in the time and effort to make this team what is, in the here and NOW. I hope our team members aren't the jealous types, 59 pages and all, wouldn't that be ironic if all the hoopla caused team chemistry issues. I don't think it will but something to chew on. Good luck to CF and ALL our other recruits. Now get back to work, ALL of you! :tears_of_joy: We have an important game tomorrow night, lets focus on that. #Thanksforlettingmerainonyourparade

Comment

• People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by I_Vector_Wu View Post
                        I hope our team members aren't the jealous types, 59 pages and all, wouldn't that be ironic if all the hoopla caused team chemistry issues. I don't think it will but something to chew on.
                        The type of personality that would read this message board, get jealous over a bunch of discussion about a kid from Wichita who was transfering to join the team, and then allow that to cause friction in the locker room once Conner joined next year...

that type of personality...

well...

It wouldn't survive a week of Marshall's practices and would have been booted off the team long ago. There is zero chance this thread is going to cause one iota of friction in the Shocker locker room.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post
                          Don't think there was doubt in anybodys mind he was going to end up a Shocker, although had he went to Colorado that would have been ok with me. And for the idiot that said Connor jacked up 30 shots a game in high school, I can 100% say that is not even close to being true. While he was the heart and soul at North High for the years he was there, he did what he could to get others involved. If I recall, he was in the top 10 in assists per game his junior and senior years. Now I know that comment didn't come from somebody on this board, but that's my rebuttal to it.

I know I take a lot of heat for being a K-State fan as well, but that's too bad. WSU is and always will be my #1 team, and I can say that WSU would easily wipe the floor with both of our other in-state programs this season. Although I do think KU, as much as I hate to say it, would give the Shockers a little bit more of a challenge. I think it's a damn shame somebody doesn't step in and force KU and K-State to play the Shockers every year.

As for Marty, ever encounter I've ever had with him, either on or off the court, has been nothing but cordial. So I don't get when people say they've seen a different side of him. And I can guarantee if, and that's a big if, he becomes a problem, HCGM will quickly make him a non-problem
                          North High stats
                          GP Pts PPG FGM FGA FG% 3FGM 3FGA 3FG% Off Reb Def Reb Tot Reb RPG Asst APG Stls SPG TO TOPG
                          2012-13 21 654 31.1 203 376 54 93 189 49 12 61 73 3.5 80 3.8 52 2.5 24 1.1
                          2011-12 23 744 32.3 234 393 60 88 171 51 12 77 92 4 85 3.7 39 1.7 49 2.1
                          2010-11 20 544 27.2 180 391 46 84 196 43 17 66 83 4.2 63 3.2 36 1.8 64 3.2
                          2009-10 22 351 16 123 195 63 51 99 52 16 56 72 3.3 54 2.5 31 1.4 32 1.5
                          Totals 86 2293 26.7 740 1355 0.546 316 655 0.482 57 260 320 3.7 282 3.3 158 1.8 169 2
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Calm down, RainVector. We post; the guys play. The likelihood that something we do is going to affect this team's chemistry isn't visible unless you have an electron microscope.

Besides, how prominent a player was Orukpe? He had his place, but in the big scheme of things, he wasn't exactly the straw that stirred the drink. Yet he had six times as many pages as FVV does even now -- but do you think Fred cared, or for that matter even knew that factoid?

Just remember, we're in our own little world here, and our world has little if any impact on the real one.

Comment

• Originally posted by kochHead View Post
                              Quick Overview of the Math (for myself more than anything)

13 Scholarships
                              -2 Grads (Cotton SG, Carter PF)
                              +5 Recruits (Frankamp SG, McDuffie SF, Shamet SG, Taylor SG, Hamilton PF)

Taylor (SG) and Hamilton (PF) are currently at Prep schools so they would make 13 scholarships.

This leaves Shamet SG, McDuffie SF, and Frankamp SG to take into consideration.

Since Shamet and McDuffie were recruited they cannot "pay their way" and play, although they could "pay their way" and redshirt or they could go prep. I am not sure if Frankamp could "pay his way" and play like MA, or if he would be considered a "recruit". If you are recruited you cannot walk-on and play per NCAA rules.

I would assume someone on the current roster is leaving which would free up a spot (100% speculation). Like mentioned previously Shamet and McDuffie are our highest recruits, however I am sure Shamet could use the prep year to get stronger, as we are heavy at the guard spot.

So, Shamet to Prep, McDuffie to replace a transfer (or go Prep), and Frankamp to pay his way (if possible per NCAA). All 100% speculation on my part.

If I had a dollar for everytime a Shockernetter counted scholarships in the Marshall era I would go all T Boone Pickens on your asses and fund the return of football for life... :-)
                              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                                On a side note, I wonder if coach is going to appeal this last semester. While Conner was on financial aid, he did not participate in team activities. Maybe possibly that could count as sitting out one semester? It would be nice to have him all season next year, but I guess it's a max of 6-7 games he'll miss.
                                If you don't ask, they can't say "Yes"!
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X