Conner Frankamp is a Shocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
    If I had a dollar for everytime a Shockernetter counted scholarships in the Marshall era I would go all T Boone Pickens on your asses and fund the return of football for life... :-)
    Preach it! Amen, amen!
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
      North High stats
      GP Pts PPG FGM FGA FG% 3FGM 3FGA 3FG% Off Reb Def Reb Tot Reb RPG Asst APG Stls SPG TO TOPG
      2012-13 21 654 31.1 203 376 54 93 189 49 12 61 73 3.5 80 3.8 52 2.5 24 1.1
      2011-12 23 744 32.3 234 393 60 88 171 51 12 77 92 4 85 3.7 39 1.7 49 2.1
      2010-11 20 544 27.2 180 391 46 84 196 43 17 66 83 4.2 63 3.2 36 1.8 64 3.2
      2009-10 22 351 16 123 195 63 51 99 52 16 56 72 3.3 54 2.5 31 1.4 32 1.5
      Totals 86 2293 26.7 740 1355 0.546 316 655 0.482 57 260 320 3.7 282 3.3 158 1.8 169 2
      I feel really sorry for the teams that will have to guard FVV, Baker, and Frankamp. Good luck with that!

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
        If you don't ask, they can't say "Yes"!
        Absolutely, Shurtz -- We're constantly reading about this or that appeal, and they often seem to be granted. So I assume WSU will appeal this one if there's any reasonable basis for doing so. Of course, we are talking WSU here, and a former Flagship U. player, so that may affect the likelihood of success. But on the other hand, St. Roy is busy with his own problems now, so maybe things would be different this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
          The type of personality that would read this message board, get jealous over a bunch of discussion about a kid from Wichita who was transfering to join the team, and then allow that to cause friction in the locker room once Conner joined next year...

that type of personality...

well...

It wouldn't survive a week of Marshall's practices and would have been booted off the team long ago. There is zero chance this thread is going to cause one iota of friction in the Shocker locker room.
          In fact it will have the opposite effect. Hopefully they have some good laughs about it all ...

Comment

• Posted this on the other board, figured some of you might like it too.

Allow me to shed some light onto Bill Self. I am very close (family) with a former KU player that played when Self and JCal were on the bench together in the 80's, and Turg and Boyle played. He loves KU, but can't stand Self. Self has preconcieved bias' of players. Player A might be the better player, but Player B is higher touted, so B gets more playing time. Bill's problem has always been that he can't develop talent. Look at any player. Who made leaps and bounds in a KU uniform under Self? Not the Morris twins, not Wiggins, not Aldrich, not Henry, not Chalmers. He did nothing to develop their talent beyond what it was when they stepped in the door.

Talent is like a graph of projections. For the sake of argument, the current projection of player A is 1:1. Bill Self cannot change that. They will continue to get better at that pace. Marshall takes a 1:1 player and can develop them at 2:1. They get better faster with Marshall.

Bill Self also struggles with X's and O's.

Bill Self can sell reading glasses to a blind man. He is good at that.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by kochHead View Post

Since Shamet and McDuffie were recruited they cannot "pay their way" and play, although they could "pay their way" and redshirt or they could go prep. I am not sure if Frankamp could "pay his way" and play like MA, or if he would be considered a "recruit". If you are recruited you cannot walk-on and play per NCAA rules.

I would assume someone on the current roster is leaving which would free up a spot (100% speculation). Like mentioned previously Shamet and McDuffie are our highest recruits, however I am sure Shamet could use the prep year to get stronger, as we are heavy at the guard spot.

So, Shamet to Prep, McDuffie to replace a transfer (or go Prep), and Frankamp to pay his way (if possible per NCAA). All 100% speculation on my part.
              I don't think you can be right about the fact that you can't pay your own way after being recruiting. You can't be recruited and then get an academic scholarship. If it were against NCAA rules to walk on after being recruited, Son of Wookie couldn't have "walked on" his last year at sCUm.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                Posted this on the other board, figured some of you might like it too.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
                I strongly disagree. Henry and Wiggins were only there for one year. The Morris twins definitely made leaps and bounds under Self, as did Thomas Robinson.

Bill Self is an exceptional coach, one of the best of the last 20-30 years. To say he's not is lazy, as 10 straight conference titles speaks for itself. You don't do that on talent alone. I personally just think we have a better coach here in Wichita.

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamCC View Post
                  I strongly disagree. Henry and Wiggins were only there for one year. The Morris twins definitely made leaps and bounds under Self, as did Thomas Robinson.

Bill Self is an exceptional coach, one of the best of the last 20-30 years. To say he's not is lazy, as 10 straight conference titles speaks for itself. You don't do that on talent alone. I personally just think we have a better coach here in Wichita.
                  Agreed. Though I'm curious to see if the development of big men continues now that Manning is gone.

Comment

Posted this on the other board, figured some of you might like it too.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
                    John Calipari and Bill Self never coached together at Kansas. Calipari coached there through the 84-85 season, Self's senior year at OSU. Tad Boyle's senior year at KU was also 84-85, Self never coached him. He was a grad assistant during Turg senior year though.

Marcus Morris was the 63rd rated player in his class (RSCI), Markieff Morris was 93rd (RSCI), they both ended up lottery picks. Not really a great example of Self's lack of development ability. Dan Hanner at Real GM did an analysis a couple of years ago looking at recruiting and player development (coaches at BCS schools only) and rated Self as the 8th best (behind Cal, Matta, Ryan, K, Beilein, Romar and Montgomery).

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                      Agreed. Though I'm curious to see if the development of big men continues now that Manning is gone.
                      Agree. I think Manning was truly an asset to developing bigs. But, I'm still not convinced BS or staff has ever really developed good backcourt players. Hence, CF's decision to leave may have been more due to lack of development in the long run than lack of quality playing time. It only takes a year to figure out whether you're growing as a player under a certain system; CF figured it out and left. Welcome to WSU, where BOTH bigs and backcourt development happen!

Comment

• It's really impossible to determine who the better tactician is, but regardless, both Marshall and Self are extremely good tactically. That just can't be denied.

I think Marshall is an uber-technician however, especially defensively. Really not so much due to more knowledge than any other high-level coach, but due to setting high expectations and demanding that players get it right, technically, every time. Watching him cringe on the sidelines and react when a player does something sloppy and with poor execution is VERY entertaining, even though you feel bad for the player. Watching a player get sent to the bicycle for being sloppy in practice is ... well, like watching a crash at NASCAR. In fact, it's WHY every fan should attend at least one practice! :)

It's effective though, and 10x better than Frank Martin's approach. It's not just about being a hard ass.

Comment

• One question: Does anyone see Conner ever getting to the point of putting his body on the line the way Fred does. Fred is on his feet 2/3 of the game; on his butt or back the other third. I don't remember seeing Conner play that way either at North or KU (caveat: didn't see many of North's games -- nor many of KU's games where Conner actually played except in the NCAA).

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                            One question: Does anyone see Conner ever getting to the point of putting his body on the line the way Fred does. Fred is on his feet 2/3 of the game; on his butt or back the other third. I don't remember seeing Conner play that way either at North or KU (caveat: didn't see many of North's games -- nor many of KU's games where Conner actually played except in the NCAA).
                            I mean, it seems like you could ask the same question about roughly 350 starting D1 point guards and the answer would probably be no.

Comment

On a side note, I wonder if coach is going to appeal this last semester. While Conner was on financial aid, he did not participate in team activities. Maybe possibly that could count as sitting out one semester? It would be nice to have him all season next year, but I guess it's a max of 6-7 games he'll miss.
                              No basis for an appeal. The rules in place are pretty clear on how it works. A transfer has to sit out a full academic year at his new school.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                                One question: Does anyone see Conner ever getting to the point of putting his body on the line the way Fred does. Fred is on his feet 2/3 of the game; on his butt or back the other third. I don't remember seeing Conner play that way either at North or KU (caveat: didn't see many of North's games -- nor many of KU's games where Conner actually played except in the NCAA).
                                I think he'll catch on fairly nicely. It's funner to be on the court (standing-up or on ass) than sitting on the bench. He'll catch on! Marshall will make sure of it!
                                FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X