Conner Frankamp is a Shocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
    Well said @shockerfanmas:. I gave up posting on this thread because there is so much emotion and irrationality by some tied to this issue. I fully agree that trashing recruits and their parents is a very sad thing.
    I'm just glad this line of thought is picking up steam.
    The Assman

Comment

• If he comes great. If not...we're still loaded!!!! I still don't think Wichita St. is "recruiting" him though.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• man, some of you shouldn't read wheatshockers.com on this subject. you wouldn't like it.

Comment

• Thanks for the warning. I won't.

Comment

• I did, and I was just as appaled. I'm about to post the same thing over there as I did here, just as soon as I get registered. There will be a few additional comments in response to a couple peoples posts. I don't see what people get in tearing down and ripping apart an 18, 19 year old kid. Those type of people aren't fans to me and have no business attending games.. but to each his own.

Comment

• I think there may be some KU trolls posing as shocker fans to sabotage the situation.

Comment

• Actually one of the posters I will be responding to, I know personally, and I was very disappointed in his comments, nor do I understand some of them. I would expect better from him, but then again I'm not totally surprised. As I said, everybody has a right to their own opinion, but why anybody would want to rip on a potential recruit that hard is beyond me.

Comment

• Beyond Fred, who on the current roster is truly a point guard? I know RB can make it work from the spot and will continue to do it for the purpose of developing, but I feel like Holland and Henderson will battle for the 2 spot over the next 2-3 years. Isn't there room for a point guard with division one experience? Obviously, the scholarship count is an issue.... Are the incoming recruits really within one or two years of effectively running a system as demanding as WSU's?

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
                    Beyond Fred, who on the current roster is truly a point guard? I know RB can make it work from the spot and will continue to do it for the purpose of developing, but I feel like Holland and Henderson will battle for the 2 spot over the next 2-3 years. Isn't there room for a point guard with division one experience? Obviously, the scholarship count is an issue.... Are the incoming recruits really within one or two years of effectively running a system as demanding as WSU's?
                    Excellent point. There's a reason why FVV played 36 minutes in a game that was never in doubt. Even RB struggled to get teh team into its half court sets on Friday.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post
                      Thanks ashockalypse, it sickens me to see the kind of stuff I've seen in this topic. All the dogging on Conner. In a way I hope he or somebody he knows has read all these comments, then maybe he'll see what some shocker fans are all about. And believe me, I would be saying this about any recruit we might potentially be getting. Constructive criticism is one thing, but to outright bash a kid and say that "He wouldn't make this squad," or "all he is is a white boy with a jump shot" is ridiculous. I'm all for pointing out the positives and negatives about a player, but some of the comments I've seen on this topic just seem flat out personal, and I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the fact of where Conner played last year. In fact, I'd bet on it.

I'll stand by my statements that we need to quit the bashing and quit trying to be HCGM and let him decide if he wants Conner.
                      I wrote that he would not make this squad. Just my opinion, not bashing. Leave the high horse at home.'

Comment

• If Conner and his family are going to be upset because not all of the WSU fanbase wants to see Conner in a Shocker uniform, two things have to be taken into consideration

1) We don't have any available scholarships, and we think enough of our current players and recuits that we'd like to see what they can do before we want to see any of them gone to make scholarship room available.

2) While we don't have any stats available for our Freshmen, we do have stats available for Conner's Fr year, and they are not encouraging.

I've taken a different look at stats by looking at minutes between occurrences. For instance, if a player takes five 3-point shots in 35 minutes of game time the minutes between occurrences is 7. Here are the minutes between occurrences for a couple of stats.

All stats are in game minutes between occurrences. For stats where a player is good, the frequency number should be small. For stats where a player is weak, the minutes between occurrences should be large.

Field goal attempts:
                        Frankamp (34.4% success rate) - 3.52
                        Baker (45.6% success rate) - 3.36
                        Cotton (45.2% success rate) - 3.83

3-point attempts:
                        Frankamp (31.3%) - 4.69
                        Baker (38.0%) - 6.01
                        Cotton 37.1%) - 9.35

Frankamp shoots more often than Cotton, but less often than Baker. Frankamp shoots 3's significantly more often than either Baker or Cotton. Frankamp's success on shots taken is significantly below both Cotton and Baker.

Rebounds:
                        Frankamp - 14.06
                        Baker - 7.85
                        Cotton - 7,48

Assists:
                        Frankamp - 15.0
                        Baker - 9.61
                        Cotton - 12.33
                        If Frankamp is to be a PG, his frequency of getting assists was significantly less than Cotton's.

Steals:
                        Frankamp - 56.25
                        Baker - 21.10
                        Cotton - 21.70

Cutting a player is distasteful. Unfortunately, that would likely be required to sign Frankamp. There may have been support for cutting a player to sign Andrew Wiggins, but that's not what we're dealing with this year.

On a team where the defenses were concentrating on KU's front court guys, Frankamp had some pretty mediocre stats. WSU's opponents were concentrating on WSU's backcourt players, so the comparison is weighted in favor of Frankamp.

A player who is known primarily for his 3-pt. shooting who hits 31% - even as a Fr - is not a hot commodity for a top-25 program, which is what WSU is right now.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I for one wouldn't mind having CF here if its a mutual thing. The kid can shoot it and can handle the ball. He needs to get stronger, but it would make us just that much deeper.

Comment

• Aargh, your points are very valid and a great example of using constructive criticism without tearing him down. I concur he had an offseaaon last season. Would it have been different had he gotten more minutes? Maybe, maybe not, we'll never know. I still say he was their best player during the NCAA tournament.

Whether he comes here or not is anybodys guess. If he does, I sure hope he gets a better welcome than we have been giving him thus far. The kid has talent and lots of it. Ultimately it's up to hcgm, not a bunch of fans on a message board.

Comment

• 1) We don't have any available scholarships, and we think enough of our current players and recuits that we'd like to see what they can do before we want to see any of them gone to make scholarship room available.

We do not know what is going to happen with the current roster and/or prospective recruits. The fact that WSU has offered a scholarship to Mychal Mulder indicates that there maybe more to the current scholarship situation than we are aware of.

2) While we don't have any stats available for our Freshmen, we do have stats available for Conner's Fr year, and they are not encouraging.

Maybe CF will do better under Marshall's system. Many good college players have had shaky freshman years and go on to do very well. CF could thrive under Marshall's tutelage.
                              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• The nearest comparison I can find for a WSU player compared to Frankamp's D1 3 point stats:

Frankamp - 15/41 - 31.3%
                                Stutz - 10/33 - 30.3%

I'm not anti-Frankamp. I'm anti cutting a player to sign another player who has unimpressive D1 stats.

Bill Self has won a NC. Thinking he is stupid is probably not a good foundation for basing an argument.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X