Conner Frankamp is a Shocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    We have delved into this in great detail on Shockernet with NCAA rules cited. If you play in any game during the season then you have used a year of eligibility. The two semesters you have to sit out at the new school are due to the transfer rules that you have to sit our a full academic year at the new school. If Ojeleye sat out this semester and all of next year he would have 2 years of eligibility remaining after next year. But if he plays in any game next year then we will have used his 3rd year of eligibility at the end of next year and have one year left. If there are some rules that trump this then they need to be cited. I don't believe Ojeleye qualifies for a medical or hardship waiver does he?

There are no longer one-half years of eligibility like there were in the Dave Stallworth days. Ojeleye has clearly used up two years of eligibility. He can play games in any two of the next 3 years to finish his remaining 2 years of eligibility under the 5 to play 4 rule assuming he does not qualify for a medical or hardship waiver for this year which I don't believe is the case.
    Makes you wonder why he's transferring mid-semester. Might as well play out the rest of the season with Devils, because that year is burnt regardless, and jumping in mid-semester next season would further reduce the number of games you could potentially play in. With injuries, you never know, you could get some PT. With permission he could be talking with other prospective coaches in the meantime, and Coach K seems like the type of guy to allow that. Interesting.

Maybe a booster at a future school has bought him off? MUHAHAHA!!
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      No, he has not said anything yet. As mention before in another post, K St may be a likely landing spot.
      He went to Duke so he has to be pretty intelligent. K-State may not be an option.
      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        No, he has not said anything yet. As mention before in another post, K St may be a likely landing spot.
        If you want to play for a title contender:
        WSU >>> KSU

If you want to play for a coach that can help develop you game and get you to the pros:
        HCGM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HCBW
        The Assman

Comment

• Nm

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
            If you want to play for a title contender:
            WSU >>> KSU

If you want to play for a coach that can help develop you game and get you to the pros:
            HCGM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HCBW
            The landscape has changed a little since his commitment to Duke and what K St looked like back then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              Makes you wonder why he's transferring mid-semester. Might as well play out the rest of the season with Devils, because that year is burnt regardless, and jumping in mid-semester next season would further reduce the number of games you could potentially play in. With injuries, you never know, you could get some PT. With permission he could be talking with other prospective coaches in the meantime, and Coach K seems like the type of guy to allow that. Interesting.

Maybe a booster at a future school has bought him off? MUHAHAHA!!
              I'm sure he's been told he's an NBA talent since he was at least 16 so he may be more concerned with how quickly he can get minutes and prove himself ready for the league and not really be thinking about retaining eligibility for 17-18.

He is reportedly a very intelligent kid so I doubt he needs the 5th year for his degree.

I would guess that following in his brother's footsteps at KSU is a reasonably likely outcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by 7hottamales View Post
                I'm sure he's been told he's an NBA talent since he was at least 16 so he may be more concerned with how quickly he can get minutes and prove himself ready for the league and not really be thinking about retaining eligibility for 17-18.

He is reportedly a very intelligent kid so I doubt he needs the 5th year for his degree.

I would guess that following in his brother's footsteps at KSU is a reasonably likely outcome.
                Makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Eligibility is not by semester. You play one qualifying game in a season and you have used up a year of eligibility regardless of whether that game is played in the 1st or 2nd semester.
                  Exactly, 1972. Eligibility is by semester only in the sense that you can gain or lose your eligibility for a given year at the end of a semester (for academic reasons, for example; or in terms of when your year of sitting out as a transfer expires). But as far as how long you get to play is concerned, you get four years, not eight semesters. You can spread them over five years, or six if you're Grant Gibbs. But you use up your eligibility a full year at a time, and it's been that way for many years.

The idea that what happened with Dave Stallworth somehow applies today is a total myth. A player who participates in a given semester uses a full year of eligibility by doing so, which means it isn't possible to play play the first semester and then run out of eligibility as Stallworth did, because if you've used up your eligibility to play it happens before a given season starts, not halfway through.

Wufan, what's your actual evidence for your claim that eligibility is by semester -- you made it, so the burden of proof is on you to support it -- and who's a (reasonably current, not a Stallworth era) example of a player who ran out of eligibility at the end of the first semester during a given year? Not a guy who lost it because he failed to make his grades, but who actually ran out of eligibility?

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                    Exactly, 1972. Eligibility is by semester only in the sense that you can gain or lose your eligibility for a given year at the end of a semester (for academic reasons, for example; or in terms of when your year of sitting out as a transfer expires). But as far as how long you get to play is concerned, you get four years, not eight semesters. You can spread them over five years, or six if you're Grant Gibbs. But you use up your eligibility a full year at a time, and it's been that way for many years.

The idea that what happened with Dave Stallworth somehow applies today is a total myth. A player who participates in a given semester uses a full year of eligibility by doing so, which means it isn't possible to play play the first semester and then run out of eligibility as Stallworth did, because if you've used up your eligibility to play it happens before a given season starts, not halfway through.

Wufan, what's your actual evidence for your claim that eligibility is by semester -- you made it, so the burden of proof is on you to support it -- and who's a (reasonably current, not a Stallworth era) example of a player who ran out of eligibility at the end of the first semester during a given year? Not a guy who lost it because he failed to make his grades, but who actually ran out of eligibility?
                    I was going off of the article I posted which stated he had 2.5 years of eligibility left. I felt that was pretty substantial. I then used the recent CF transfer rule to explain how this would work. That said, I looked up an article on some mid year transfers that just became eligible, and it appears that they did lose eligibility for the remainder of the year they played. So, I retract my assertion. Semi will be a junior next year, eligible at semester.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      It's not THAT difficult of a concept.
                      Hee hee. I have learned never to be sure of NCAA bylaws unless you read them yourself. They have so many exceptions and sport specific criteria and rule changes that keeping up is quite a chore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        Hee hee. I have learned never to be sure of NCAA bylaws unless you read them yourself. They have so many exceptions and sport specific criteria and rule changes that keeping up is quite a chore.
                        Well, obviously the concept wasn't that difficult since I apparently made it up out of thin air. Facts, now those are more troublesome!
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                          Eligibility is by semester. He has used three semesters. He must now sit out two for transferring and has 5 semesters remaining. He did not play in more than 1/3 of his teams games for the year so it doesn't count as a year of eligibility. It's not THAT difficult of a concept.
                          That USED to be the rule, but no longer. One game=one year
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Hoping people will type their responses slowly, so I have a better chance to understand, but.................without playing this season, Frankamp has 3 years remaining; to be taken as 2nd semester next year, and the following 2 years complete?

Comment

• And Semi has 2 years remaining?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                Hoping people will type their responses slowly, so I have a better chance to understand, but.................without playing this season, Frankamp has 3 years remaining; to be taken as 2nd semester next year, and the following 2 years complete?
                                Yes!
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X