The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    Does anybody understand what he meant when he said we weren't going to recruit the best players
    For example, if you shot your NIL wad on the best player, Mikey Williams, regardless of character ... well ... you lost.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I believe the site was approached once by Rivals or Scout back in the day but I want to say the board, or leadership, decided not to join. I don't remember all that went into it. There may have even been a poll about who'd be willing to subscribe to get certain info and it didn't look good.

I'm not looking this one up. I know I had a Rivals subscription at the time and would have been willing to change that to pay for a Shocker specific board.
      In watching the evolution of those types of sites over the years, they gradually become more and more about the 'pay' side and less about the 'free' side. Thus, you get less and less of the free flow of discussion and more of the people who all hold hands and agree with each other. As much as some people hate the trolls and the negative Nancy's, they do spur discussion and keep the boards going.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I believe the site was approached once by Rivals or Scout back in the day but I want to say the board, or leadership, decided not to join. I don't remember all that went into it. There may have even been a poll about who'd be willing to subscribe to get certain info and it didn't look good.

I'm not looking this one up. I know I had a Rivals subscription at the time and would have been willing to change that to pay for a Shocker specific board.
        I also don't remember which of the two it was (I think Rivals), but they wanted me to pay a hefty sum, plus monthly fees, for SN to join their network.

I did agree to sell ShockerNet to SportsWar (I would retain control, get press credentials, maybe some other perks), run by some guys who had the Virginia Tech fan site, had a few others in the network and were trying to compete with Rivals. They lost their funding before the acquisition was complete, so I got to keep SN.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I also don't remember which of the two it was (I think Rivals), but they wanted me to pay a hefty sum, plus monthly fees, for SN to join their network.

I did agree to sell ShockerNet to SportsWar (I would retain control, get press credentials, maybe some other perks), run by some guys who had the Virginia Tech fan site, had a few others in the network and were trying to compete with Rivals. They lost their funding before the acquisition was complete, so I got to keep SN.
          Now that you mention it, I believe you told us what Rivals? wanted and it did seem a bit odd that you'd pay to become a part of it when I believe they approached you about it. Didn't know about the other part.

Going down memory lane today.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

This kind of behind the scenes info is why I pay for premium.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

This kind of behind the scenes info is why I pay for premium.
              ShockerNet was in the Transfer Portal but the NIL deal didn't come through

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

If we started a women's beach volleyball program, my bank account would run dry
                  If WSU had a women’s beach volleyball team, a lot of us would be a lot poorer.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by SshockerR View Post
                    I don't think we're getting Max either but at least noteworthy that we still have a fighting chance, personally as of yesterday I thought it was over. In Max's position, it is my understanding that it was presumed he was done with college after this year before the season, and being that he already has his degree and would be choosing a 5th year of college over pro ball it would make sense to chase the situation with the best role and NIL bag available. He would certainly have very nice overseas deals at the floor of his pro options so it would be financially rational for him to pursue big time NIL. He is one of the cases of guys that nobody should be faulting if he just chooses the highest bidder, he did his four years and got his degree at his initial school, if he is going to make the choice to do another year of college it just makes sense for him to be factoring $$$ highly into his decision.
                    It could be just coincidence, but did anyone else notice that the McD AA freshman point guard at Texas entered the portal about the same time that the Abmas to Texas stuff started firing up? Coaching change so several Texas players are moving on. But it might mean it will be another year of playing behind a more experienced player. Most HS AAs don't have a lot of patience when it comes to getting playing time.

Comment

Would be a good one! 6'6" guard originally from Brooklyn. Played his first two years at Pitt then transferred to SH prior to last season. Averaged 7.3 ppg, 4.4 rpg, and 2.3 apg. Not a great three point shooter at 32% for his career. Big, athletic guard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Is Kenny Pohto a "for sure starter level" player?
                        Not by Stickboy46 standards. Jacob Germany is not a starter level player because he played on a bad team with against weak competition. According to WarrenNolan.com UTSA's overall strength of schedule was #98. Kenny Pohto played on a mediocre team although WarrenNolan.com has Wichita State's overall schedule at $119.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Not by Stickboy46 standards. Jacob Germany is not a starter level player because he played on a bad team with against weak competition. According to WarrenNolan.com UTSA's overall strength of schedule was #98. Kenny Pohto played on a mediocre team although WarrenNolan.com has Wichita State's overall schedule at $119.
                          I already took the L earlier on the SOS thing .. What i was looking at didn't match KP or Warren Nolan. Not sure where I saw it .. So yea .. their SOS wasn't as bad as I thought (even though the team was still bad and he was high usage). Still not convinced either of those two are starter level on a tournament team (which neither WSU or UTSA was close to). We will see this year though.

Comment

• Targets.jpg

Comment

• A player that may be worth a look is Cam Hayes PG transfer from LSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I already took the L earlier on the SOS thing .. What i was looking at didn't match KP or Warren Nolan. Not sure where I saw it .. So yea .. their SOS wasn't as bad as I thought (even though the team was still bad and he was high usage). Still not convinced either of those two are starter level on a tournament team (which neither WSU or UTSA was close to). We will see this year though.
                                A tournament team? WSU will not and should not expect to be a tournament team next year.

You’re impatient and delusional.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X