Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LetsGoShockers2021 View Post
    I like your thoughts above ; here are mine :

Mills and Co are definitely not following the book to a T which is good for shocker basketball :

Acy convinced Beverly to enter the portal ; hence the same day portal entry/verbal commitment that the recruiting service knew about.

both commits so far were 4 star commits (Germany’s just on ESPN). Germany was honorable mention all conference in a very good conference ; the one with all the good teams headed our way. He had double doubles against a final 4 team , against North Tx and many others.

Beverly’s freshman year average 7 points in 20 mins, equivalent to 10 points in 30 mins (in a better conference with better guards around him meaning he wasn’t one of the main shooting options). 10 points in the ACC could be 12-15 in the AAC.

K States recruiting was dog **** until very late in the summer last year.

Dont let yourself get too emotional over 1 player.
    Curious why you chose his freshman numbers when he's been there for 4 years. My biggest concern is his career numbers are pretty average. Especially percentage wise.

For reference
    GP MIN FG% 3p% FT% REB AST TO PTS
    Freshman 31 19.9 40 22 74 2.3 2.3 2.2 7.2
    Soph 19 28.7 33 15 40 4.5 3.3 2.7 6.7
    Junior 4 9.3 14.3 0 0 1.8 1.3 .5 .5
    Senior 37 12.2 46 31 80 1.2 1.2 .8 3.5
    Career 91 18 38.9 22.1 63.4 2.3 2.0 1.7 5.3
    Junior year you can throw out due to the sample size before the injury but in a career he's averaged 20 min a game, 5.3 pts and shot pretty poorly (38/22/63).

He might end up being really good, but there is nothing in his actual history that says that's likely right now.

Listen, I'm glad he's on the team, he's a high upside get .. I'll agree with that, we just really need a couple proven people to transfer in. Right now our team is full of people that have shown they are solid bench players at best. (Rogers TBD).

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Thanks for the clarification. So, we ARE getting 4* recruits and SN'ers are still complaining because they want better players. Got it!

I'm with you on Beverly. There is some risk that his back injury might have lasting effects. It's also possible that last year was a recovery year and there are no lasting effects now.

Might be possible that Acy made a few more contacts before he was "hired", but those haven't been finalized yet.

I'm not letting anything about players get to me. I'm just tired of reading 5 pages a day of SN'ers griping because they aren't seeing things done the way they want ot see them being done. You'd think we had 5 or 6 retired D1 Athletic Directors posting here.
      I normally agree with your takes .. but if you are tired of seeing people being passionate about Shocker basketball .. probably shouldn't visit a forum where only the passionate survive lol.

Comment

• This time last year a lot of folks here didn’t think IB was gonna be able to field a team. We ended up with some pretty good players under IB. I expect Mills to exceed that level, just gotta give the man some time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I normally agree with your takes .. but if you are tired of seeing people being passionate about Shocker basketball .. probably shouldn't visit a forum where only the passionate survive lol.
          You’ve been loling a lot lately.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
            This time last year a lot of folks here didn’t think IB was gonna be able to field a team. We ended up with some pretty good players under IB. I expect Mills to exceed that level, just gotta give the man some time.
            Fair statement .. just was expecting more out of Mills than IB .. for right or wrong.

Comment

I'm not tired of seeing people passionate about Shocker basketball. Being passionate doesn't require 5 negative posts every page for 10 pages of a thread. We know where you stand. Your repeating your position 10 or 20 times a day doesn't seem to be changing anybody's minds.

There's a theory that if something is repeated often enough it becomes truth regardless of its' accuracy. That doesn't seem to be affecting your posts.

I have a feeling that unless WSU rehires Marshall (which is NEVER going to happen even if it was legal per the separation agreement) or another coach shows that a F4 is on the immediate horizon, that you're going to be negative about the coach.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• PM: Hey Kenny P please come talk to me tomorrow
                KP : Okay
                PM: Been looking at game film and liked what I saw. Your a good center right now but we need to develop you into a stretch four also.
                KP: I really like the sound of that
                PM: Being able to play BOTH positions will increase your value if your looking to play somewhere after college.
                KP: Does that mean you have confidence in my perimeter shooting?
                PM: Absolutely. You have a nice release. We will WANT you to take the open shot and not hesitate. Do YOU believe in your shot?
                KP: Yes, I do.
                PM: Kenny, I believe in you and my staff believes we can all make you better. The fan base here cares about you. I will personally try to get as much NIL money as I can for you. We need for you to be a leader for us.

Comment

Fair statement .. just was expecting more out of Mills than IB .. for right or wrong.
                  IB put together a pretty solid team on paper, but the coaching aspect (although improved by year end) left something to be desired. Mills' biggest attribute is supposed to be his ability to coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                    PM: Hey Kenny P please come talk to me tomorrow
                    PM: Been looking at game film and liked what I saw. Your a good center right now but we need to develop you into a stretch four also.
                    PM: Being able to play BOTH positions will increase your value if your looking to play somewhere after college.
                    PM: Absolutely. You have a nice release. We will WANT you to take the open shot and not hesitate. Do YOU believe in your shot?
                    PM: Kenny, I believe in you and my staff believes we can all make you better. The fan base here cares about you. I will personally try to get as much NIL money as I can for you. We need for you to be a leader for us.
                    It takes some significant workarounds to get an international student like Kenny NIL money. I believe it has to earned outside the US for starters.

Comment

• As a Sophomore (pre back injury) Harlond Beverly paced the Hurricanes in both assists and steals average. Beverly was one of four Power Five players in the nation to average 4.5 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.5 steals per game, alongside Oklahoma State’s Cade Cunningham, Alabama’s Herb Jones and Kansas’ Marcus Garrett.

Beverly is basically the SF version of James Rojas: high upside if he has recovered from his past injuries. I think Quincy Acy knows a thing or two about identifying potential so I'll sign up for two years of 'H'.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                        KP: Sure, coach
                        PM: Do you really want to be in the portal?
                        KP: Yes, I do
                        PM: No problem. I wish you the best. I will recruit a replacement for you.

They shake hands

Later, Kenny finds no one is trying to recruit him. (I did a search for anyone contacting Kenny and found nothing). Maybe I don't know how to search for that.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

It takes some significant workarounds to get an international student like Kenny NIL money. I believe it has to earned outside the US for starters.
                          Is that why his projected NIL value is so low? Smart people will find ways.

Comment

KP: Sure, coach
                            PM: Do you really want to be in the portal?
                            KP: Yes, I do
                            PM: No problem. I wish you the best. I will recruit a replacement for you.

They shake hands

Later, Kenny finds no one is trying to recruit him. (I did a search for anyone contacting Kenny and found nothing). Maybe I don't know how to search for that.
                            Taylor was on one of the sports talk shows and said KP had been in contact with some big time schools.

Assuming he doesn’t come back (he isn’t) expect him to land at a nice destination.

Comment

I'm not tired of seeing people passionate about Shocker basketball. Being passionate doesn't require 5 negative posts every page for 10 pages of a thread. We know where you stand. Your repeating your position 10 or 20 times a day doesn't seem to be changing anybody's minds.

There's a theory that if something is repeated often enough it becomes truth regardless of its' accuracy. That doesn't seem to be affecting your posts.

I have a feeling that unless WSU rehires Marshall (which is NEVER going to happen even if it was legal per the separation agreement) or another coach shows that a F4 is on the immediate horizon, that you're going to be negative about the coach.
                              There is massive gap between being a competitive team (ie getting in the NCAA tournament regularly and at least winning a game fairly regularly) and "F4 on the immediate horizon". I just want the first one. I don't think that is unreasonable for a program like WSU.

It's still extremely early but so far there haven't been many promising signs. Most everything has been lukewarm at best since the hire.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

IB put together a pretty solid team on paper, but the coaching aspect (although improved by year end) left something to be desired. Mills' biggest attribute is supposed to be his ability to coach.
                                Call me crazy, but i want a solid team on paper AND someone that is capable to coach them.

Comment

Working...
                                X