The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Everything you said is true and therein lies the problem for schools that can’t just say “you hit the portal and you are gone from our program” because they have no one better lined up to take their place.
    So you and pinstripes both want them to transfer?

Comment

Not saying yea or nay on the poll at this time, but I think holding on to Rogers is very important.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

So you and pinstripes both want them to transfer?
        Not at all. But unless you cut them loose once they enter the portal the player has all the power.

Comment

At this point, unless you have some very good connections with various players, coaches and/or donors it's impossible to speculate and doing so is pretty tacky - maybe so even if you do have connections. I don't and won't speculate.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
            Not saying yea or nay on the poll at this time, but I think holding on to Rogers is very important.
            Just curious, why and what he has proven to date? I really don't know much about him. But I do know that ineligible players are almost always the savior of the future for bad to mediocre teams, in the eyes of some fans.

Comment

Hopefully we keep some level of stability with at least two of the starters staying.

​​​​​It could be sort of a nightmare for a new coach otherwise, particularly if we don't move quickly and they get an abridged recruiting window. Hard enough starting a new system, having to recruit an entirely new team could make that really hard to hit the ground running.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                Wouldn't he lose a year of eligibility since he sat this year?

Although, no doubt the NCAA would give him a waiver for the coaching change. So I guess there are no guarantees with anyone.
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

The only players not in the portal will be those that have had their one free transfer. Although with the coaching change you could conceivably see every current player in the portal. And no, this is not a hot take.
                  Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Wouldn't he lose a year of eligibility since he sat this year?

Although, no doubt the NCAA would give him a waiver for the coaching change. So I guess there are no guarantees with anyone.
                    I'm not good at this, but Rogers played for Cal Poly for 2 years, then transferred to Siena without sitting out. He is listed as a Jr, so that takes in his "covid" year to keep him as a Junior. This year, at the least, wouldn't count for anything, because he sat out and didn't play as a red-shirt (?). Therefore, he will still be a Junior next year. If he transfers, he won't have to set out again because WSU would sign a waiver as you said.

Comment

Whoever the new coach is I hope KP, JW, JP and Myles at least hold off until the new coach has the opportunity to discuss their decisions

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                        Whoever the new coach is I hope KP, JW, JP and Myles at least hold off until the new coach has the opportunity to discuss their decisions
                        I'd expect them to put their name in the portal. But a new coach can bring them back.

Comment

So are there any current members of the team in the transfer portal? Last year it seemed there may have been several guys enter within 48 hours of season’s end.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                            So are there any current members of the team in the transfer portal? Last year it seemed there may have been several guys enter within 48 hours of season’s end.
                            I would assume next week. I think staff has to put them in there.

Comment

Oh, thanks. I didn’t know someone had to enter your name on your behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I would assume next week. I think staff has to put them in there.
                                Are the assistant coaches still working?

Comment

Working...
                                X