Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As for the 7 man rotation, we just don’t have 10 guys that are versatile enough to play on a regular basis. The bench guys all have huge holes in their games and get exposed. I believe IB thinks maximizing the starters minutes is the best hope for a win.

Comment

• Shortening the bench as the season goes on is pretty much normal process in D1 College Basketball.

HCIB said on his show yesterday if the score goes the other way when a player comes in that players minutes will decrease going forward.

Comment

• I didn't realize D1 coaches no longer develop a player. Let's just play portal ball. November and December is pre season where we pick our top 7 players and those games don't count. January to March is conference season and anyone that is not the top 7 will not be playing. No need to go out and recruit, we just sit back and watch the portal every summer. Maybe IB is a better D1 coach than I thought.

Comment

• The argument absolutely can be made that recruiting freshmen, for all but the bluest of bluebloods, is a waste of time, money and resources.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wichita Willy View Post
            I didn't realize D1 coaches no longer develop a player. Let's just play portal ball. November and December is pre season where we pick our top 7 players and those games don't count. January to March is conference season and anyone that is not the top 7 will not be playing. No need to go out and recruit, we just sit back and watch the portal every summer. Maybe IB is a better D1 coach than I thought.
            Sad but true. A lot of coaches have been on the record that they would rather get players from the portal than high school. At least you know what you're getting and they're largely past the freshman growing pains.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockMe300 View Post
              I was giving this some thought this morning, and maybe I'm reaching, but I haven't seen anything about the fund raiser golf tournament yet this year. Maybe I'm looking for clues that don't exist, and maybe it didn't happen last year either, but I swear it happened the first year. My thought would be that they wouldn't advertise it with IB on it if he wasn't going to be here, and they wouldn't want to advertise it without him on it, because, well, that would look bad. No advertising out there for it could mean....nothing probably...but I can hope.
              They had it last year but I don’t remember when they started promoting it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                The argument absolutely can be made that recruiting freshmen, for all but the bluest of bluebloods, is a waste of time, money and resources.
                I think that since a player can make money for being on a team, a team should be able to sign a player to a contract. I'd go room, board, education and all the nil money the player can muster in exchange for a 3 or 4 year commitment. If the player breaks contract, they pay back some portion of the room, board and education, but keep their nil money.
                That would put a stop to all the transferring for the most part, while allowing the coaches to develope the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wichita Willy View Post
                  I didn't realize D1 coaches no longer develop a player. Let's just play portal ball. November and December is pre season where we pick our top 7 players and those games don't count. January to March is conference season and anyone that is not the top 7 will not be playing. No need to go out and recruit, we just sit back and watch the portal every summer. Maybe IB is a better D1 coach than I thought.
                  Well, there's this thing called "practice". I would say it's easier to develop a player in practice than in a game

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

I think that since a player can make money for being on a team, a team should be able to sign a player to a contract. I'd go room, board, education and all the nil money the player can muster in exchange for a 3 or 4 year commitment. If the player breaks contract, they pay back some portion of the room, board and education, but keep their nil money.
                    That would put a stop to all the transferring for the most part, while allowing the coaches to develope the team.
                    No doubt. A player wants all the advantages with no commitment. In the real world a contract benefits and protects both sides.

Comment

• Scholarships have always been a year-to-year contract.

A team has nothing to do with NIL, nor can it have anything to do with NIL. In the wake of Alston, all the concept of "NIL" means is that the NCAA can make no regulations that prohibit players from making money off of their name, image, or likeness. The NCAA can still, however, enforce regulations on pay-to-play, wherein a school pays money to players.

It's conceivable that a booster can sign a player to an NIL deal that requires the player to stay, but that could invoke a legal gray area wherein that contract would inherently require action on the part of the school (i.e. extending and not revoking a scholarship/position on the team). That gets close (and may cross the line) on pay-to-play.

I've done no research on NIL contracts, but I would think if it were possible to lock players in for multiple years, it would have already been done.
                      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                        I'm not good at identifying offensive sets, but I think I noticed a change in the offensive schemes about the time that the Shox offense started clicking.

From what my not that knowlegable eyes saw, IB was running GGG's sets up until about the mid point of this season. Then the offense switched to something I don't ever recall seeing in Marshall's games. Shammah Scott pretty much confirmed that observation when he said he had seen all the offensive sets IB used at the beginning of the season when he played for Heiar.

EVERYBODY knew how to defend that high ball screen pick and roll and they always blew it up, which resulted in the perimeter guys dribbling, passing the ball to each other and jacking up a 3. Damn, the second unit even blew it up at Shocker Madness.

The legitimate criticism of IB is that he stuck with GGG's offensive schemes too long. Those schemes hadn't been working well the last several years when Marshall was coaching and they REALLY didn't work with the players IB had.

Grant Sherfield was an effecrtive PG at both UNLV and OU. He was a dribbler and pass the ball around the perimeter guy when he was at WSU. We were happy to see him gone. He was probably happier than us to get away from WSU, because his skill set was incredibly under utilized in the system in which he was playing.

FVV, Baker, Early, Hall (the Beast) and Cotton could effectively run Marshall's system, but that's 3 NBA guys. 3 NBA guys, a player who earned the nickname :The Beast" and Cotton. That's a group that we haven't seen together at WSU since Carr, Levingston, and Dreiling, and it's not likely that ANYBODY, even Marshall, is going to get a group like that again for another couple of decades.

Marshall's system was incredibly effective at Winthrop and in the MVC. It was less effective against teams with more athletic and quicker players and the higher level coaches that were in the AAC.

IB stayed with Marshall's system too long. He should have recognized it wasn't working and put in something different a lot sooner.
                        Marshall's teams in 2017 and 2018 scored more points than the VV, Baker teams. Over 80 points per game. The Marshall teams you referenced were tough gritty great defensive teams. His system was always good. Some teams could execute it better than others. IB teams are missing the tough gritty kill for a rebound mentality.
                        I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

Marshall's teams in 2017 and 2018 scored more points than the VV, Baker teams. Over 80 points per game. The Marshall teams you referenced were tough gritty great defensive teams. His system was always good. Some teams could execute it better than others. IB teams are missing the tough gritty kill for a rebound mentality.
                          The 2017-18 team had two future NBA players on it. Both left after that season. Shamet went pro early and Reaves transferred to OU after his So season.

Shamet, Frankamp, and Reaves could hit outside shots, so it wasn't really an offensive breakdown to dribble around the perimeter and then put up a 3. Those guys were replaced by Burton, Stevenson, and Torres. None of those three finished their careers at WSU.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                            Scholarships have always been a year-to-year contract.

A team has nothing to do with NIL, nor can it have anything to do with NIL. In the wake of Alston, all the concept of "NIL" means is that the NCAA can make no regulations that prohibit players from making money off of their name, image, or likeness. The NCAA can still, however, enforce regulations on pay-to-play, wherein a school pays money to players.

It's conceivable that a booster can sign a player to an NIL deal that requires the player to stay, but that could invoke a legal gray area wherein that contract would inherently require action on the part of the school (i.e. extending and not revoking a scholarship/position on the team). That gets close (and may cross the line) on pay-to-play.

I've done no research on NIL contracts, but I would think if it were possible to lock players in for multiple years, it would have already been done.
                            True, but I doubt there is anything keeping a school from negotiating a contract for 3-4 years in exchange for education, room and board. Keep nil out of contract. Like I said, they keep any THEY can muster. But payback for school expenses in some manner if contract is broke.
                            I could be wrong about the ability to do multi year but I don't think so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

True, but I doubt there is anything keeping a school from negotiating a contract for 3-4 years in exchange for education, room and board. Keep nil out of contract. Like I said, they keep any THEY can muster. But payback for school expenses in some manner if contract is broke.
                              I could be wrong about the ability to do multi year but I don't think so.
                              If all of the schools use year to year scholarships - we can't do anything different - it falls under "what the market will bear" category.

BTW Aargh - the first half of the year Shox weren't running 3G or anyone else's offense - in fact, their offense was offensive. Now they are running a close resemblance of 3G offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post

If all of the schools use year to year scholarships - we can't do anything different - it falls under "what the market will bear" category.

BTW Aargh - the first half of the year Shox weren't running 3G or anyone else's offense - in fact, their offense was offensive. Now they are running a close resemblance of 3G offense.
                                I disagree. You may not get the 4 and 5 star guys on multi year, but lesser rated, under the radar players would be possible, especially if you had a good coach thats known for developing players.

Comment

Working...
                                X