Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

The 2017-18 team had two future NBA players on it. Both left after that season. Shamet went pro early and Reaves transferred to OU after his So season.

Shamet, Frankamp, and Reaves could hit outside shots, so it wasn't really an offensive breakdown to dribble around the perimeter and then put up a 3. Those guys were replaced by Burton, Stevenson, and Torres. None of those three finished their careers at WSU.
    Yes, we all know Marshall could recruit players and develop them into NBA capable talent. My point was you said we couldn't be successful without VV, Baker, and Early running Marshall's system. You also said we couldn't do it against AAC caliber players. He did it in those 2 years and had a higher scoring offense.
    I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• HCGM last 3 years, 2018 25-8 Kenpom 21, 2019 22-15 KP 66, 2020 23-8 KP 39. HCIB 3 years, 2021 16-6 KP 68, 2022 15-13 KP 94, 2023 16-14 KP 104. We beat 1 top 100 team this year and that was number 99 Tulane. The best year IB had by far was his first and that was with Marshalls players and Marshalls personality still imprinted in the team. IB needs to go. He is not going to be successful here at this point in his career.
      I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• 3G

Comment

• If the 10 or so SN'ers who insist we fire IB would each pony up about $500,000 it could be done. If you can't do that, then just stop griping. None of us on this board know if it's in any way feasible to terminate IB. Insisting he be gone could be insisting that something that cannot happen must happen.

Here's what we do know. Our former athletic director came very close to bankrupting the athletic department. Saal's first priority should be the survival of the athletic department.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

If the 10 or so SN'ers who insist we fire IB would each pony up about $500,000 it could be done. If you can't do that, then just stop griping.
            Come on now, I don't gripe at my wife, my kids are all gone, I have no employees to gripe at anymore, and I don't have 500K to spare at the moment. So now you want to take this away from me? I guess griping is only for the rich folk these days.

Comment

If the 10 or so SN'ers who insist we fire IB would each pony up about $500,000 it could be done. If you can't do that, then just stop griping. None of us on this board know if it's in any way feasible to terminate IB. Insisting he be gone could be insisting that something that cannot happen must happen.

Here's what we do know. Our former athletic director came very close to bankrupting the athletic department. Saal's first priority should be the survival of the athletic department.
              We all agree we are in a very tough position. I get your point. But again, what's the difference between not being able to afford a buyout and staring at a loss of 1-2M in ticket sales and donations? The answer is nothing. Either way we are getting kicked in the crotch. If the hit to the bottom line is exactly the same, rip off the band-aid and get the right guy in here STAT.

Comment

• I don’t buy the ticket sales argument. Buying out IB is guaranteed cash out of pocket. Getting butts back in the seat is not a guarantee. We hire a new coach, have another compete roster overhaul and I can guarantee the play on the floor will be another mediocre year. Even the best coach in WSU history only won like 9 games his first year. Fans have already shown they fill the arena after the wins come, not before. It could be 2-3 years before we pack the arena again, maybe more.

Comment

• You are correct about getting butts back. I'm talking about losing more butts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    I don’t buy the ticket sales argument. Buying out IB is guaranteed cash out of pocket. Getting butts back in the seat is not a guarantee. We hire a new coach, have another compete roster overhaul and I can guarantee the play on the floor will be another mediocre year. Even the best coach in WSU history only won like 9 games his first year. Fans have already shown they fill the arena after the wins come, not before. It could be 2-3 years before we pack the arena again, maybe more.
                    But if you ride out the contract, you are pushing that 2-3 year rebuild out a couple of years, making it 4-5 years before we pack the arena again. So you have lost the revenue between years 2/3 and 4/5 by deferring.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      I don’t buy the ticket sales argument. Buying out IB is guaranteed cash out of pocket.
                      If it happens, it will be cash out of pocket from booster(s). The real question is do the people who have the money want a change? Do they have trust that the AD will be able to make the right hire? Or have they moved on.

Getting butts back in the seat is not a guarantee.
                      There are never any guarantee regardless of direction. Barring a deep AAC tournament run, I would expect less next year, unless HCIB somehow magically recruits a bunch of 4 or 5 stars.

And if they do hire a coach, the bump in season tickets sale will probably not be that many based on historical data.

We hire a new coach,have another compete roster overhaul and I can guarantee the play on the floor will be another mediocre year.
                      You already are going to probably have a complete roster overhaul, just with all the senior leaving and lack of recruiting. Then the question is how many are going to the portal? If HCIB could have kept Council, Dennis and Udeze, how much better would this team been this year?

Have you looked at WSU recruiting? It is pretty bleak picture.

But there is the other side, WSU hires a real good coach (or assistant from some where) and he has success, then WSU fans will be back through the cycle of "will he leave?"

Even the best coach in WSU history only won like 9 games his first year. Fans have already shown they fill the arena after the wins come, not before. It could be 2-3 years before we pack the arena again, maybe more.
                      That is true, Wichita fans will support a winner. But if you are wrong about HCIB, then you are talking about 4-6 year before things might get things turned in a different direction, or never. I wouldn't have thought baseball in year 10 after a two coaching changes would still suck. So there is no guarantees.

Comment

If the 10 or so SN'ers who insist we fire IB would each pony up about $500,000 it could be done. If you can't do that, then just stop griping. None of us on this board know if it's in any way feasible to terminate IB. Insisting he be gone could be insisting that something that cannot happen must happen.

I’ve never seen so much waffling in my life. One minute you’re out for IB’s head, the next minute he needs to stay. Pick a lane and stay in it, *****.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I’ve never seen so much waffling in my life. One minute you’re out for IB’s head, the next minute he needs to stay. Pick a lane and stay in it, *****.
                          Give him a break, he probably doesn't have the $500K to allow his complaints.

Comment

• If you think we should retain IB based on his performance, you're an idiot.

If you think we should fire IB with absolutely no consideration of the athletic department budget, you're an idiot.

If you think Saal is going to give IB more time based on a one or two game performance at this point in the season, you're an idiot.

If you are cheering for the other team because you believe the above, you're an idiot.

If you think that so much as having hesitancy in or even avoiding hiring Chris Beard means you're "woke", you're an idiot.

If you think we could/should re-hire 3G, you're a colossal idiot.

If you're on a message board typing "you're an idiot" repeatedly to people you've never met, you're an idiot.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                              If you think we should retain IB based on his performance, you're an idiot.

If you think we should fire IB with absolutely no consideration of the athletic department budget, you're an idiot.

If you think Saal is going to give IB more time based on a one or two game performance at this point in the season, you're an idiot.

If you are cheering for the other team because you believe the above, you're an idiot.

If you think that so much as having hesitancy in or even avoiding hiring Chris Beard means you're "woke", you're an idiot.

If you're on a message board typing "you're an idiot" repeatedly to people you've never met, you're an idiot.
                              I think that covers it - we are all idiots.

Which my daily trip to Walmart always confirms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                                If you think we should retain IB based on his performance, you're an idiot.

This post should be pinned at the top of every thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X