Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

That said, if he's still got that fire in his belly, by all means, sign me up. He can coach his ass off.
    Exactly where I am. If he’s motivated I’m in with it. He would be a great coach guaranteed to stay.

Also everyone should sign up for a small something with the NIL people. I was already in at $10 but upped it a bit when I read TE’s article. 100 or so people at $25 bucks a month adds up.

I want some dudes.

Comment

• I have faith in ADKS that he can ascertain whether MT remains properly motivated and/or is burnt out. If ADKS thinks MT is the best candidate then he has my full support.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I wonder if in the last couple of years if maybe he's changed his mind about coaching college. He seems like someone that if interested should most definitely be at least informally interviewed. For me, Jans is obviously choice #1 but isn't an easy get, but still someone you contact. From the names mentioned, Kelsey might be number 2. I don't know a lot about him as I haven't paid much attention to CoC, but a lot of people have a lot of good things to say. But Griffin is right there with him for me.

Something about Mills turns me off. DeVries would be okay, but nothing to wow people. Some keep talking about his son, but if his son is the biggest selling point, then he's definitely a no. I'm not big on Richey. He's won a lot, but also this is his first ever trip to the tourney. If he's that dominant, he should probably win his conference tournament more often.

Not sure if McCasland is possible or not, but I'd put him above DeVries.

Jans
        Kelsey/Griffin
        McCasland
        Sampson
        DeVries

Richey
        Mills
        Turgeon

I think that's how I'd rank most of the names we've seen mentioned.
        Amended
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
          I have much more of a problem with Turgeon's age/potential motivation level than I do with the "at this level" comments. I just don't care.

He could be a good fit, and I wouldn't be mad about it. But I hope we're not looking for a placeholder.

That said, if he's still got that fire in his belly, by all means, sign me up. He can coach his ass off.
          Not my first choice, but Turgeon will be totally different this time at WSU (if it happens), and Larry Brown won't be his first call each time he has a problem or decision. He's smarter this time around in his life. I'd bet some of the "donor class" is pretty enthused about his hire.

Comment

• Watching some Pat Kelsey videos, I could definitely get on board with him if WSU goes the mid-major route.

Dude has the energy, passion, and personality that could unite the fanbase and donors.

He also seems to be a winner everywhere he's been,

If it's not Jans, he would be my #1.
            The Assman

Comment

• Turgeon isn't my first choice but his resume is better than most. 10 NCAAs (would have been 11 with 2020). 6 times with 1 win, 2 times sweet 16.

Comment

• And he recruited and landed Melo Trimble.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Turg wouldn't be a bad hire, by any means, just not an inspiring one IMO.

That said, if he can out in the introductory press conference and had me wanting to run through a brick wall, I would be open to changing my opinion.
                  The Assman

Comment

• I wouldn't get too wound up for or against Turgeon at this point. That twitter rumor could just be speculation by people who know very little. However, I am almost certain that Turgeon was on Saal's original list of Finalists (whether 5,10, or more names) prior to really getting down to business.

Comment

• At this point, I will take anyone so long as they win.

The first step is to make the tournament every year. Can't make sweet 16s or elite 8s if you can't make the tourney. Turgeon wouldn't be my first choice, but I think we would be in the tourney more years than not. If he's interested, then you have to kick those tires.

I still want Griffin. I don't care. I think he would bring in talent. If NIL money is lining up, we would get players. And the way college is now, talent acquisition is higher than it used to be. Sucks if he isn't intetested, but maybe that's for the best too.

Other than that, Jans would be pretty safe hire as well. Everyone else is a crap-shoot. Coaches everywhere get hired and fired all the time, so statistics say that it isn't going to work out long term. Unfortunately we lost our unicorn 3 years ago.
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                        Turg wouldn't be a bad hire, by any means, just not an inspiring one IMO.

That said, if he can out in the introductory press conference and had me wanting to run through a brick wall, I would be open to changing my opinion.
                        Not really Turgeon's interview/press conference style from what I remember. But at the very least is proven he can win and get to the dance if nothing else. And would be stability.

We could do better than Turg. But we could do a LOT worse also.

As others have said. If he is 100% bought in and coaches his ass off, I would get behind it.
                        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Nobody wants Josh Pastner?

Comment

• Originally posted by DwShock View Post
                            Nobody wants Josh Pastner?
                            Negative.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                              As others have said. If he is 100% bought in and coaches his ass off, I would get behind it.
                              That's what I mean. If in the press conference, I get the feeling he is 100% in AND he truly believes WSU can succeed at the highest "level", that would get me revved up to the idea of him coming back.
                              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by DwShock View Post
                                Nobody wants Josh Pastner?
                                That was honestly my first thought when I saw Ga Tech canned him, but looking at his resume I quickly changed my mind. Not sure if he can't recruit, coach or both, but his numbers are lackluster imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X