Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shockerfan_realist View Post
    For anyone who is hating DeVries, why? I think he ends up at ND but I think he’d be perfect here. Look at their starting 5 this year.

Roman Penn - No College offers
    Tucker Devries (130th ranked player in the country), Garret Sturtz was a walk on
    Darnell Brody was a two star recruit
    DJ Wilkins was a unranked transfer for Southwestern State College.

and he had Yesufu whose at KU now who was a star at Drake that was an unranked prospect as well. That sounds pretty damn similar to some of our better teams. I think his recruiting is just fine to be at WSU because recruiting is more about finding talent regardless of the star rankings. Remember when we started star chasing when we got to the AAC? That sure worked really well for us. That’s partly what assistant coaches are for, to bolster the recruiting.
    I'm not against DeVries, but I think we need to step our recruiting profile beyond diamonds in the rough. The sole team I am worried about in our conference is Memphis, who we have struggled against. I think we need some gems to compete against them, and if want to aim for the top of this conference you have to start with figuring out how the handle the only team bringing in All-Americans.

As far as star chasing, I wouldn't say we'd done that. No Brown era recruit came as hyped as four star FVV or Shamet, or five star transfer Frankamp. We've been mostly transfers, 2-3 star recruits, and juco guys the last few years.

Comment

• Time to hear something that has weight to it. I’m tired of speculation. Whoever the choice is, will either be exhilarating or a letdown. Then the new coach will have to win over Shocker Nation, with his personality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Husker4Shockers View Post

Where in my post did I mention money? Totally different discussion. I merely pointed out that the situation and the perception are very similar.
        Sorry just don't see the parallels. And any comparison has to take in account resources.

Comment

• The only person who has the ability to 'bring in some weight' would be Pitino, don't see that happening. Morehead and Spradlin get run by next year AAC member UAB. Hopefully we are all way off base and we bring in a surprise candidate. Because at this point I'm not sure I'm comfortable with any of the names in the current conversation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktheheck View Post
            The only person who has the ability to 'bring in some weight' would be Pitino, don't see that happening. Morehead and Spradlin get run by next year AAC member UAB. Hopefully we are all way off base and we bring in a surprise candidate. Because at this point I'm not sure I'm comfortable with any of the names in the current conversation.
            We are looking at the wrong coach in the MSU-UAB game, IMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Looks like 76er created a new account
              Get him back in here, he’s apparently right. Everything y’all whine about on here, he can fix, and has before..

Comment

• Originally posted by Kitchen_bg View Post

Get him back in here, he’s apparently right. Everything y’all whine about on here, he can fix, and has before..
                Is this Son of Bafon?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                  Time to hear something that has weight to it. I’m tired of speculation. Whoever the choice is, will either be exhilarating or a letdown. Then the new coach will have to win over Shocker Nation, with his personality.
                  I’ll let Kevin know…. I’m sure he values you being tired of waiting… he’ll speed it up to
                  please you…

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Yeah, if the names that Eldridge has mentioned are indeed the targets. Then I am hoping for #1 DeVries or #2 Sampson.

But still holding out hope Saal has a rabbit he can pull out of a hat.
                    I'm thinkin' I don't care where he pulls the rabbit out of.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Is this Son of Bafon?
                      Maybe it’s Bob Richie himself. Wouldn’t be the first time a “candidate” has done that.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I have been on so many bandwagons I am about to pass out. I really wanted a new coach, just didn't feel IB had it in him. First I jumped on the Jans wagon and was sure he was the one and still think he is. Then Turgeon, then Kelsey, then DeVries and now I am riding with Sampson. I have a feeling someone new could emerge tomorrow. I am ready to start looking at the rumors about who our new coach is going to bring in out of the portal. I have to trust ADKS to make the best decision. I just have to hold on a little longer. I trust SN to keep me informed about the pros and cons of each name that comes up.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I believe that that hire would make most fans wish they had just kept IB where he keeps his players, takes a chance on him making some good "fill in the spots" recruits, cross their fingers that he improves as a head coach, and perhaps, save WSU some money. I'd be surprised if the "big money" would be there for Spradlin.
                          So the only thing I can think of for Spradlin that would be good would be his recruiting chops, but that's what IB's talent was so do we really need another recruiting first HC? I really think x's & o's hc's are the way to go and then hire your recruiters as assistants. That what FHCGM did and what Self does. That's why I'm all in on DeVries if we aren't too late on him.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Maybe it’s Bob Richie himself. Wouldn’t be the first time a “candidate” has done that.
                            I’d imagine Coach Richey does not have the time we have..

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

I'm not against DeVries, but I think we need to step our recruiting profile beyond diamonds in the rough. The sole team I am worried about in our conference is Memphis, who we have struggled against. I think we need some gems to compete against them, and if want to aim for the top of this conference you have to start with figuring out how the handle the only team bringing in All-Americans.

As far as star chasing, I wouldn't say we'd done that. No Brown era recruit came as hyped as four star FVV or Shamet, or five star transfer Frankamp. We've been mostly transfers, 2-3 star recruits, and juco guys the last few years.
                              I guess the way I see it, the end of GM era was star chasing. Erik was 200th in the country, Mo was top 175, Tyson was top 130, Sherfield was top 170, Fernandez was around 200. Once again over that time period who was good for us? Ricky was 350+, Jamarius was 400+ and Dex was unranked. I agree I'd like to recruit more Landy's and FVV's and not have to rely on finding as many Ron's or Evan's but sometimes you have give kudos to a coach who can see those guys before they are those guys

Comment

• Hmmmmm

Comment

Working...
                                X