Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ve been reading a lot of information about potential teams for the AAC. I think we will see UAB, Charlotte, James Madison and either Louisiana or Coastal Carolina. I know James Madison may seem like a strange choice but they have the facilities and budget to make a big jump. They also have very successful football at the lower level.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post
      I’ve been reading a lot of information about potential teams for the AAC. I think we will see UAB, Charlotte, James Madison and either Louisiana or Coastal Carolina. I know James Madison may seem like a strange choice but they have the facilities and budget to make a big jump. They also have very successful football at the lower level.
      UAB seems like a no brainer at this point.

Charlotte brings nothing but a market. I don't know where they stand academically but they basically suck at both major sports. I think they had a flash in the pan moment 20 years or so ago in basketball. I honestly don't understand what they really offer the AAC.

I can't see the AAC adding an FCS school. I would say ODU has a better chance, and I'm not sure they have much of one.

Louisiana isn't the worst option, but I'm not sure what kind of budget they offer, and I'm not sure that the AAC wants to double down in LA.

Coastal would be a risky pick. They're hot right now in football, but they have no actual history of success and no proven record beyond their current coach who probably won't be there much longer.

I can't speak for every fan of ever school in the conference, but those seem really underwhelming. I know we aren't going to get any major splash additions at this point, but damn. If those are the top 5, you only take two and wait. Though of that list, I'm not sure who number two would be.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I’ve been reading a lot of information about potential teams for the AAC. I think we will see UAB, Charlotte, James Madison and either Louisiana or Coastal Carolina. I know James Madison may seem like a strange choice but they have the facilities and budget to make a big jump. They also have very successful football at the lower level.
        Yeah... so...

The definite strategy for Wichita State is to hope that the schools that care about basketball get tired of holding their noses and start to talk to the MWC. But we need the MWC to show some stones. Perhaps after their middling members (CSU/AF) told us to pound sound, they'll gain some chutzpah.

If SMU, Memphis, Tulsa, and us head to the MWC, CBS will be paying them more than ESPN currently pays the AAC. If Gonzaga comes, that's even better.

Legit power conferences compete in football AND basketball. Conferences that only compete in one major sport are not power (see: MVC, CUSA). The AAC is about to become CUSA 2.0

My fingers are crossed that the AAC chooses the schools you mentioned WWSU2. That will signal the beginning of the end of the AAC as P6.

Clowned by Air Force... Do they even play basketball? Put the AAC out of its misery already.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          I honestly don't understand what they really offer the AAC.
          And by what they offer the AAC you just as easily substitute what they offer ESPN.

I would probably go UAB and UTSA for now and then play it by ear form there. Maybe two more decent opportunities arise in the short-term. If not, wait and see what develops.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

And by what they offer the AAC you just as easily substitute what they offer ESPN.

I would probably go UAB and UTSA for now and then play it by ear form there. Maybe two more decent opportunities arise in the short-term. If not, wait and see what develops.
            UTSA doesn’t have the budget or facilities. I have read that they have turned down a AAC invite due to budget concerns. Going to be interesting to see what happens.

Comment

UTSA doesn’t have the budget or facilities. I have read that they have turned down a AAC invite due to budget concerns. Going to be interesting to see what happens.
              lol

Comment

• My top two are still UAB and Buffalo. But we hear nothing about Buffalo so I'm guessing they're not an option.

I'm guessing we get stuck with Rice somehow.

If North Texas were anywhere but DFW I think they'd be higher on the list.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Two weeks ago it was AFA, CSU, almost certainly UAB, and if not Army (that was iffy) then one of the other dozen or so options. I have no doubts losing AFA and CSU has thrown plans into disarray. I wonder if the AAC adds just UAB or UAB and another, then takes a wait and see approach. Adding just one or two seems like the smart thing to do because multiple additions at this point only dilutes conference distributions and looming further P5 realignment is causing a lot of uncertainty amongst candidates.
                  "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                    Two weeks ago it was AFA, CSU, almost certainly UAB, and if not Army (that was iffy) then one of the other dozen or so options. I have no doubts losing AFA and CSU has thrown plans into disarray. I wonder if the AAC adds just UAB or UAB and another, then takes a wait and see approach. Adding just one or two seems like the smart thing to do because multiple additions at this point only dilutes conference distributions and looming further P5 realignment is causing a lot of uncertainty amongst candidates.
                    With the western teams out for now, I think getting to 10 is the smart option, but only if they have a 10th they can be happy with. Nine isn't the worst option necessarily. If the XII holds at 12 after their departures, you can go back after the western wing with four or five options. If Boise does get taken and they expand to 14, you still might be able to get western teams to come in. The eastern options aren't going anywhere. It's one thing if you were taking a flyer after three good adds. I'm not sure a flyer works if the only other addition is UAB.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

With the western teams out for now, I think getting to 10 is the smart option, but only if they have a 10th they can be happy with. Nine isn't the worst option necessarily. If the XII holds at 12 after their departures, you can go back after the western wing with four or five options. If Boise does get taken and they expand to 14, you still might be able to get western teams to come in. The eastern options aren't going anywhere. It's one thing if you were taking a flyer after three good adds. I'm not sure a flyer works if the only other addition is UAB.
                      Exactly. A consideration with the approach of only going to 9/10 is if the conference has enough schools in each sport to qualify for sponsoring that sport. I think the requirement is 6 schools--not sure where the conference stands on sports like volleyball, T&F, etc., after the 3 leave.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Number of Teams By Sport Without Cincy, Houston and UCF:

Football - 8
                        Men's Soccer - 5
                        Women's Soccer - 6
                        Volleyball - 8
                        Men's Basketball - 8
                        Women's Basketball - 8
                        Baseball - 5
                        Women's Lacrosse - 5 (But Cincy might stay in as the Big 12 doesn't sponsor Lacrosse - AAC Lacrosse includes Florida, UConn and Vanderbilt as well)
                        Softball - 5

The AAC does not sponsor formal head-to-head regular season competition in Track & Field/XC, Tennis, Golf, Swimming & Diving, and Rowing. The do hold Conference Championships.

Cross Country Championship: Men - 6; Women - 7
                        Indoor Track & Field Championship: Men - 5; Women - 7
                        Outdoor Track & Field Championship: Men - 5; Women - 7
                        Swimming & Diving Championship: Men - 1; Women - 2
                        Golf: Men 6; Women 7
                        Tennis: Men 6; Women 6
                        Women's Rowing: 4 (Includes Sacramento State)

Comment

• Looks like we need additions to men's soccer, baseball, and softball at the very least. Interesting to note that UAB has all three.

Comment

Looks like we need additions to men's soccer, baseball, and softball at the very least. Interesting to note that UAB has all three.
                            So UAB and stop at 9? The longer this goes the more I support that. Unless we pull in Buffalo somehow. I'm not sure any of the others are must haves right now and most everyone available now will be available in a couple years when we learn what the XII is going to do. Possible exception of some Texas schools if the MWC moves in. Though you might wonder if a few of those TX schools might want to wait and see what the XII does to see if they have better chances of getting into the AAC. Maybe that's wishful thinking. Most Texas schools will probably jump at the MWC if the AAC says they're postponing more adds outside of UAB.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Looks like we need additions to men's soccer, baseball, and softball at the very least. Interesting to note that UAB has all three.
                              ***** soccer? We need? Who needs?

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

***** soccer? We need? Who needs?

“Let’s go, kick it!”
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X