Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since when is having an emphasis on education "snobbish"? Since when is growing the academic standing of, you know, an academic institution "snobbish"?

I hope there is not a single person on this board who doesn't want to see WSU improve its academic ranking. I proudly have my diploma hanging on my wall, but I am not so naive to think that WSU doesn't have a long way to go to improve its faculty, curriculum, and research efforts in all areas of study. WSU's mission is to educate the people of Kansas, and in doing so, not have selective admissions standards. But that doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't strive to be the best university in KS.

Understanding your weaknesses, and working to improve on them, isn't snobbish. It's part of being mature.
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• I hate snobbish more than anything. This ain't that

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
        To SubGod22's statement regards perception of academic ranking of AAC schools; WSU is ranked between 299-391, Memphis #249, ECU #213, Houston #179, USF and Cincinnati tied #148, Tulsa #136, USF and Temple tied #103, SMU #48 and Tulane #42.
        May I suggest the 2 part podcast from Malcom Gladwell on the fallacy of the us news rankings?

https://www.yahoo.com/now/malcolm-gl...164013156.html provides something of a summary

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Why don't you take your snobbish attitude and go some place else. We all know you are not a WSU fan and are here to annoy people so you can enlighten us with your "truth". But if you want to come here each day and told you are dumbass. So be it.
          LMFAO!
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
            May I suggest the 2 part podcast from Malcom Gladwell on the fallacy of the us news rankings?

https://www.yahoo.com/now/malcolm-gl...164013156.html provides something of a summary
            Thanks Matt! It's always been a bunch of bullschitt!

"Gladwell goes on to say that if a school is comprised of a student body from lower-income families, by default the graduation rates will be lower. This then illustrates there is a problem of finances, not educational quality."

"“What the rankings are saying in so many words, is that it will penalize a school for attempting to educate lower-income students,” Gladwell adds, explaining the process by using an expletive that expressed that the system is full of it."

"“We have a system that says to you as a college that if you dare to take a chance on a kid who is not from an upper-middle-class family, we will screw you over. What are we doing? It’s 2021, this is complete B.S,” Gladwell concluded."

"U.S. News & World Report may not be the powerhouse publication it once was, but its relevance regarding the education pipeline is far too prominent to ignore. In essence, the system it has created largely favors PWIs or predominantly white institutions, according to Gladwell."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Our conference is going to be wrecked, there's no debate on that. If the MWC makes a power move grabbing the Zags, Tulsa, and SMU, we'll hopefully have a spot too. In that scenario we are saved. Outside of that scenario we will hopefully have enough cachet built up over the years to continue to schedule strongly in the OOC. Our OOC will be critical. Getting to the dance will be more difficult. At first I hoped that Cincy might establish a H/H w/ us after they leave, but there's no chance of that happening. With the Cowboys, Bears, ChicKUns, etc. in their conference, they won't need any schedule strengthening. Sucks to be us.

We might still play Houston occasionally because they really have no tradition to speak of. They're flash-in-the-pan material. Cincy on the other hand will absolutely flourish in the B12. They will be a top 4 bball program.

Comment

So once college is free then our ranking should shoot up as more kids will graduate within the measured time parameters?

Don’t kid yourself. Wichita State knows the rules of “ the game” and needs to play the game successfully and smarter.

While flawed, the rankings still have impact.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

No, I just post for $chitts and giggles…
                  Get a meter man! Ratings are such bullschitt anyway.
                  You need the meter as I was just playing your game; FYI, I was unaware MidAmerica Nazarine was a school located in Kansas.

Comment

I was unaware MidAmerica Nazarine was a school located in Kansas.
                    Then you know less than I gave you credit.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                      Our conference is going to be wrecked, there's no debate on that. If the MWC makes a power move grabbing the Zags, Tulsa, and SMU, we'll hopefully have a spot too. In that scenario we are saved. Outside of that scenario we will hopefully have enough cachet built up over the years to continue to schedule strongly in the OOC. Our OOC will be critical. Getting to the dance will be more difficult. At first I hoped that Cincy might establish a H/H w/ us after they leave, but there's no chance of that happening. With the Cowboys, Bears, ChicKUns, etc. in their conference, they won't need any schedule strengthening. Sucks to be us.

We might still play Houston occasionally because they really have no tradition to speak of. They're flash-in-the-pan material. Cincy on the other hand will absolutely flourish in the B12. They will be a top 4 bball program.

Comment

• This may sound crazy, but since we know the AAC can't get any decent basketball programs to backfill, we should be rooting for our own conference to fail/weaken/diminish. We need SMU and Tulsa to get itchy. It will all happen at once if it does. ECU, USF, Tulane, and Temple will go to the Sunbelt, and Navy will return to independency.

If Memphis is rejected by the B12, they will come along w/ us (TU/SMU) to the MWC.

There is a small chance we are not invited to the MWC. If that happens, we are going back to the MVC. Then KW can host a big forum party where we will all enjoy a small cup of Kool-Aid and the pain will cease.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                          There is a small chance we are not invited to the MWC. If that happens, we are going back to the MVC. Then KW can host a big forum party where we will all enjoy a small cup of Kool-Aid and the pain will cease.
                          You mean like having a discussion about how the MVC has kicked Self's a** in the NCAA's? You're ahead of the curve on that one. Isn't it always a welcome hoot to hear Chicken fans claim the Valley could never beat a b12 team? Yeah, they really say that.

Although, just like the last time you'll be persona non grata...

NAMASTE (that's for you-know-who)

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

You mean like having a discussion about how the MVC has kicked Self's a** in the NCAA's? You're ahead of the curve on that one. Isn't it always a welcome hoot to hear Chicken fans claim the Valley could never beat a b12 team? Yeah, they really say that.

Although, just like the last time you'll be persona non grata...

NAMASTE (that's for you-know-who)
                            No. There's no nobility in playing spoiler. The Kool-Aid would be spiked w/ poison.

Comment

Gladwell's main criticism of US News ranking algorithm appears to be the value assigned to "the perception" of a ranked institution held by the ranking individual (President); if Gladwelll is correct, then this proves problematic for WSU to be invited to join a conference that "views" academic prowess as important as athletic success.

Comment

Gladwell's main criticism of US News ranking algorithm appears to be the value assigned to "the perception" of a ranked institution held by the ranking individual (President); if Gladwelll is correct, then this proves problematic for WSU to be invited to join a conference that "views" academic prowess as important as athletic success.
                                My takeaway from Gladwell’s look into the “rankings” is that the game is rigged. The thing the “good” schools do is overly emphasized. Not that it is emphasized, but disproportionately. 2 examples, incoming students: 1. If you give opportunities to students who are not the “elite.” You are penalized in the rankings. 2. And in the graduation rates. But as Gladwell points out, if you are not taking the “elite” (re: wealthy) the graduation rates can be significantly impacted by external financial forces. For example, Covid had a much greater economic impact on first generation college students than legacy students at the ivy leagues.

Comment

Working...
                                X