Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd like to slightly amend my wishlist for the future:

I'd like to see something cataclysmic happen in college football right before the AAC teams are set to leave for the B12. This all smells just like the Big East's final desperate expansion effort.

The Big East expanded today adding East Carolina as a football-only member and Tulane as an all-sports member. It was a surprisingly uninspiring expansion effort by the most dominant of the non-contract Football Bowl Subdivision conferences...

K|Uck City is gagging itself to sleep every night over the idea of having a home and home with UCF JUCO and Houston no-name every year. They would mortgage their stadiums/arenas to get into the ACC/P12. Same goes for OSU. And if you don't think the Texas schools are washing their hands every 15 mins. thinking about Houston well...... Their respective alumni base would take a $10M annual hit to be granted a spot in the P12 and avoid visiting UCF's pop-up stadium. Historically, the B12 would NEVER have stooped to accepting an unwashed school like Louisville. But now they're thinking of adding their even dirtier Memphis cousin? Nope.

The B12 expansion is a desperation move and every member outside of TCU would give anything to have that cup pass from them. Stay tuned.

My plan B, I've already stated; I want the AAC to stink so bad with their expansion choices that the MWC ends up the clear superior conference (P6). Then the MWC needs to go for the death blow by pulling Tulsa, SMU, Memphis, and hopefully us and Gonzaga.

Plan C is shuttering the WSU athletic program.

Plan D is suicide.

Plan E is rejoining the MVC.

Comment

• If the XII schools that wanted to get out could, they'd already be gone. I suppose things can change, but the B1G and PAC have recently stated that the remaining XII schools don't add to their conferences. I used to think KU basketball could do enough to make up for their lack of football, but that seems to be wrong as you know they were whoring themselves out to the B1G and PAC as soon as the OU/UT news broke.

The best case scenario right now is to add UAB and maybe one more and then wait and see if the XII will add two more after OU/UT leave to go to 14 or if they will stay at 12. I'm not sure adding two more will boost their media deal and I don't think University presidents are really all that excited to add Boise and Memphis from an academic standpoint. If the XII remains at 12, the AAC and ESPN will have the opportunity to go west and get Boise with the Colorado schools and quite possibly SDSU. The PAC isn't adding Boise under any scenario and I think there's too much pushback from the SoCal schools, and maybe the Arizona schools, to allow SDSU in.

So say we only add UAB now, and the XII stays at 12 in a couple of years. The AAC can now add 5 and get to 14. You definitely go after the MWC4 and then the 5th can either be an eastern school or you take a 5th from the MWC, and if you're getting the MWC4, you could probably have your pick of the 5th. At that point, I'm not sure any of them would turn down an offer.

I know you're a doom and gloom guy these days, but things aren't all that bleak just yet.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

“Let’s go, kick it!”
        I finally figured out what soccer was the other day while watching 37 seconds of it in a waiting room. It is keep away for adults. That's all it is. Well, that and pure entertainment for savages since the dawn of mankind.

You think I'm just trollin'? Google "keep away game" and up comes soccer drills lmao. You can't make this stuff up.

It's gotta be the dumbest game ever invented.

I'm warning you all again: the mainstreaming of this "sport" in our country will coincide w/ the full globalization of the world and our subsequent adoption of the euro and offensive body odor.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

I finally figured out what soccer was the other day while watching 37 seconds of it in a waiting room. It is keep away for adults. That's all it is. Well, that and pure entertainment for savages since the dawn of mankind.

You think I'm just trollin'? Google "keep away game" and up comes soccer drills lmao. You can't make this stuff up.

I'm warning you all again: the mainstreaming of this "sport" in our country will coincide w/ the full globalization of the world and our subsequent adoption of the euro and offensive body odor.
          I had a hockey coach once describe hockey has soccer with a puck.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
            Looks like we need additions to men's soccer, baseball, and softball at the very least. Interesting to note that UAB has all three.
            II have been trying to find out how this "6 team" rule applies. So far this is what I have found in the 2021-22 NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL:

20.02.5 Multisport Conference. A Division I multisport conference shall satisfy the requirements of this section. (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

20.02.5.1 Minimum Number of Members. A multisport conference shall be composed of at least seven active Division I members. The member conference shall include at least seven active Division I members that sponsor both men's and women's basketball. (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

20.02.5.2 Sports Sponsorship. A multisport conference shall satisfy the following requirements: (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)
            (a) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of 12 Division I sports;
            (b) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of six men's sports, one of which shall be men's basketball. In addition to men's basketball, the conference shall sponsor football or two other men's team sports. A minimum of seven members shall sponsor men's basketball. A minimum of six members shall sponsor five other sports, including football or two additional men's team sports; and
            (c) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of six women's sports, one of which shall be women's basketball. In addition to women's basketball, the conference shall sponsor two other women's team sports. A minimum of seven members shall sponsor women's basketball. A minimum of six members shall sponsor five other sports, including two additional women's team sports (or a minimum of five members for an emerging sport for women).

So where will the AAC sit without Cincy, Houston and UCF and excluding any replacements?

Minimum Number of Active D-I members: NCAA Requirement = 7; AAC = 8
            Minimum Number of D-I sports sponsored: NCAA Requirement = 12; AAC = 21 if you separate men's and women's;
            Minimum Number of Men's Sports (including basketball) + football: NCAA Requirement = 6 + football (or 2 other men's sports; AAC = 10 (including football)
            Minimum Number of members sponsoring Men's Basketball: NCAA Requirement = 7: AAC 8
            Minimum Number of members sponsoring 5 other men's sports (including football or 2 other sports): NCAA Requirement = 6; AAC = 8 (ECU is at the minimum of 5; WSU is at 6 without football; Tulane is at 6 of you count coed sailing; Temple is at 6; Tulsa and SMU are at 7, USF at 8 and Memphis at 9)
            Minimum Number of Women's Sports (including basketball): NCAA Requirement = 6; AAC = 12
            Minimum Number of members sponsoring 5 other women's sports: NCAA Requirement = 5; AAC = 8 (WSU is the lowest with 7 other women's sports but we don't have football to offset; everyone else has 9 to 11 women sports in addition to basketball)

I did not find anywhere in this huge manual where a sport has to have 6 members to be counted in the above requirements. But maybe that is in there somewhere.

So while the AAC could lose 1 more member and still meet the NCAA requirements for a D-I multi-sport conference I think. But as a practical matter the AAC has to expand. The who, when and how being the challenge before them.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

II have been trying to find out how this "6 team" rule applies. So far this is what I have found in the 2021-22 NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL:

20.02.5 Multisport Conference. A Division I multisport conference shall satisfy the requirements of this section. (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

20.02.5.1 Minimum Number of Members. A multisport conference shall be composed of at least seven active Division I members. The member conference shall include at least seven active Division I members that sponsor both men's and women's basketball. (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

20.02.5.2 Sports Sponsorship. A multisport conference shall satisfy the following requirements: (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)
              (a) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of 12 Division I sports;
              (b) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of six men's sports, one of which shall be men's basketball. In addition to men's basketball, the conference shall sponsor football or two other men's team sports. A minimum of seven members shall sponsor men's basketball. A minimum of six members shall sponsor five other sports, including football or two additional men's team sports; and
              (c) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of six women's sports, one of which shall be women's basketball. In addition to women's basketball, the conference shall sponsor two other women's team sports. A minimum of seven members shall sponsor women's basketball. A minimum of six members shall sponsor five other sports, including two additional women's team sports (or a minimum of five members for an emerging sport for women).

So where will the AAC sit without Cincy, Houston and UCF and excluding any replacements?

Minimum Number of Active D-I members: NCAA Requirement = 7; AAC = 8
              Minimum Number of D-I sports sponsored: NCAA Requirement = 12; AAC = 21 if you separate men's and women's;
              Minimum Number of Men's Sports (including basketball) + football: NCAA Requirement = 6 + football (or 2 other men's sports; AAC = 10 (including football)
              Minimum Number of members sponsoring Men's Basketball: NCAA Requirement = 7: AAC 8
              Minimum Number of members sponsoring 5 other men's sports (including football or 2 other sports): NCAA Requirement = 6; AAC = 8 (ECU is at the minimum of 5; WSU is at 6 without football; Tulane is at 6 of you count coed sailing; Temple is at 6; Tulsa and SMU are at 7, USF at 8 and Memphis at 9)
              Minimum Number of Women's Sports (including basketball): NCAA Requirement = 6; AAC = 12
              Minimum Number of members sponsoring 5 other women's sports: NCAA Requirement = 5; AAC = 8 (WSU is the lowest with 7 other women's sports but we don't have football to offset; everyone else has 9 to 11 women sports in addition to basketball)

I did not find anywhere in this huge manual where a sport has to have 6 members to be counted in the above requirements. But maybe that is in there somewhere.

So while the AAC could lose 1 more member and still meet the NCAA requirements for a D-I multi-sport conference I think. But as a practical matter the AAC has to expand. The who, when and how being the challenge before them.
              That's interesting analysis. Thanks for doing that. So staying at 9 (8 Olympics + Navy football) could be a legit option? Unless there's some rule about conference championship games in football.
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                If the XII schools that wanted to get out could, they'd already be gone. I suppose things can change,
                Yeah, things can change... and they do change in a hurry sometimes. Every single charter B12 school's alumni base is furiously looking at options. "Officially" adding our 3 best football schools buys them temporary stability. There may come a point in time where they apply for admittance into a power conference for a greatly reduced or even zero share of media revenue for a probationary period. These schools have billion+ endowments and MUCH more cabbage on tap if necessary. If they can convince the bean counters that the loss of branding, recruiting, and good will their programs will suffer replacing national powers OU/UT w/ no-names like UCF and UH will exceed the initial hit of a massive buy-in or nonparticipation in media revenue for a trial period, they'll go for it tickled shitless.

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                If the XII remains at 12, the AAC and ESPN will have the opportunity to go west and get Boise with the Colorado schools and quite possibly SDSU. The PAC isn't adding Boise under any scenario and I think there's too much pushback from the SoCal schools, and maybe the Arizona schools, to allow SDSU in.

So say we only add UAB now, and the XII stays at 12 in a couple of years. The AAC can now add 5 and get to 14. You definitely go after the MWC4 and then the 5th can either be an eastern school or you take a 5th from the MWC, and if you're getting the MWC4, you could probably have your pick of the 5th. At that point, I'm not sure any of them would turn down an offer.
                You're speaking so matter-of-factly about how we'll just walk in and raid the MWC. I believe you're misguided sir. We just tried that w/ middling MWC teams and got straight shut down. They know our ESPN deal is gonna plummet. NOBODY in the MWC wants to travel to Temple, ECU, and USF. That would be like us back in the MVC asked to travel to Oregon 3 times to play Indiana State.

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                I know you're a doom and gloom guy these days, but things aren't all that bleak just yet.
                Doom & gloom or just clear-minded rational thinking. Check my prediction on the AAC raiding the B12.

You say tomato...

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

I had a hockey coach once describe hockey has soccer with a puck.
                  Hockey is a ****ing man's game. Watch your mouth!

Your coach was clearly a closet homosexual (savage).

Comment

Yeah, things can change... and they do change in a hurry sometimes. Every single charter B12 school's alumni base is furiously looking at options. "Officially" adding our 3 best football schools buys them temporary stability. There may come a point in time where they apply for admittance into a power conference for a greatly reduced or even zero share of media revenue for a probationary period. These schools have billion+ endowments and MUCH more cabbage on tap if necessary. If they can convince the bean counters that the loss of branding, recruiting, and good will their programs will suffer replacing national powers OU/UT w/ no-names like UCF and UH will exceed the initial hit of a massive buy-in or nonparticipation in media revenue for a trial period, they'll go for it tickled shitless. Doesn't matter what the alumni want if the other conferences see no value in those schools.

You're speaking so matter-of-factly about how we'll just walk in and raid the MWC. I believe you're misguided sir. We just tried that w/ middling MWC teams and got straight shut down. They know our ESPN deal is gonna plummet. NOBODY in the MWC wants to travel to Temple, ECU, and USF. That would be like us back in the MVC asked to travel to Oregon 3 times to play Indiana State. We didn't get straight shut down. AFA and CSU are not happy with the MWC and want more eastern exposure. I'm not sure if the AAC required all four or if the CO schools wanted two more, but that door is still most definitely open once the XII does or doesn't add again here in a couple of years. And if we added western schools, there would absolutely be a divisional setup for the non-revenue sports which would limit travel to the east coast, so it's not like they'd be sending every one of their athletic programs to all the coastal locations every year. It's not nearly as big a deal, especially if the media deal is good enough to cover those expenses. In a couple of years, if Boise and company are still available, I think that ESPN will be open to making sure the media deal will be worth it in comparison to whatever the MWC will have at that time. If Boise is gone, we will still have the opportunity to poach the MWC and the media deal will most definitely be worth it to most of those schools.

Doom & gloom or just clear-minded rational thinking. Check my prediction on the AAC raiding the B12.

You say tomato... and you say potato

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

We had plenty of "keep away" drills in basketball, so I guess that's also a ***** sport?
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

We had plenty of "keep away" drills in basketball, so I guess that's also a ***** sport?
                        The difference is, you were doing that in practice only and for another purpose. There's only one sport that will play keep away in front of tens of thousands of fans for hours on end with almost no perceivable forward momentum. That sport has been enjoyed by savages since we started walking upright.

Comment

Doesn't matter what the alumni want if the other conferences see no value in those schools.
                          No value? That's clearly not the case at all. NOT ENOUGH value to add them as equal sharing football members is more accurate. K|Uck Central was a top 3 earner in the B12 - if I remember correctly - and they don't even play football. If ChicKUn and OSU agree to play in the P12 at reduced share amounts for a period of time, that might absolutely be better all around than staying in a borderline non-power conference. Or maybe they go quasi-independent and negotiate media payouts on every game scheduled. Or maybe K-Who and OSU play basketball only in the ACC and become independent in football only. There are a million ways to get the hell out of the Little 8. And if it happens, we either stand pat in the AAC or it REALLY blows up with more backfilling from the remaining Little 6 members. That might get us and Navy into the B12 or slurped up by the MWC.

Whatever happens, I just don't want it to happen the way it is now. I do not want to play in the AAC minus Cincy and a flash-in-the-pan Houston. The teams they are talking about bringing in are the teams we used to buy when we were in the MVC.
                          Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; October 7, 2021, 03:58 PM.

Comment

No value? That's clearly not the case at all. NOT ENOUGH value to add them as equal sharing football members is more accurate. K|Uck Central was a top 3 earner in the B12 - if I remember correctly - and they don't even play football. If ChicKUn and OSU agree to play in the P12 at reduced share amounts for a period of time, that might absolutely be better all around than staying in a borderline non-power conference. Or maybe they go quasi-independent and negotiate media payouts on every game scheduled. Or maybe K-Who and OSU play basketball only in the ACC and become independent in football only. There are a million ways to get the hell out of the Little 8. And if it happens, we either stand pat in the AAC or it REALLY blows up with more backfilling from the remaining Little 6 members. That might get us and Navy into the B12 or slurped up by the MWC.

Whatever happens, I just don't want it to happen the way it is now. I do not want to play in the AAC minus Cincy and a flash-in-the-pan Houston. The teams they are talking about bringing in are the teams we used to buy when we were in the MVC.
                            Except for the fact that those conferences have come out and said that they see no value in adding the B12(10)(8) leftovers.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Except for the fact that those conferences have come out and said that they see no value in adding the B12(10)(8) leftovers.

Comment

Hockey is a ****ing man's game. Watch your mouth!

Your coach was clearly a closet homosexual (savage).
                                Calling gays savages, now that’s a bold move, even for you.
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X