Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shockvalue, I appreciate your thoughts. I do need to clarify one thing that I didn't say well. I meant that the city of Wichita needs to get a lot bigger so that a TV network would see it as being more valuable, not WSU as a school. I didn't say what I meant to say well.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
      Here is an old article from MARCH 25, 2015, but it is still relevant to Wichita State and its chances to change and move up to the Big East now:

"Think like a university president, not like a sports fan.” Wichita State is a perfect example of the disconnect between the thought processes of sports fans and university presidents. Sports fans see Wichita State as a school with great fans and astounding on-the-court success with a recent Final Four appearance and a memorable takedown of Kansas to get to the Sweet Sixteen this year. However, university presidents see Wichita State as a non-flagship public school that’s ranked in the 200s in the U.S. News rankings that are located in a small TV market with little recruiting value (whether for athletes or “regular” college students). Remember that university presidents care just as much about what a school brings to the table when it’s awful on the field/court compared to how well it’s performing at its peak. Wichita State is a classic case of looking great for fans when they’re playing well, but it’s extremely tough for university presidents to see their value when they’re not playing well (as they’re not bringing academic prestige, and institutional fit, a major TV market, etc.)."

If WSU is to move up to the Big East, it has to improve its academic ranking and at least double in size. It also must start developing great basketball players in high school more often.

The only thing about WSU that is major college level is its fans.

Its athletic department and business support are mid-major at best, IMO.
      That was a Shockers1976 esque post. Good Lord, you are completely out of touch with reality.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
        Here is an old article from MARCH 25, 2015, but it is still relevant to Wichita State and its chances to change and move up to the Big East now:

"Think like a university president, not like a sports fan.” Wichita State is a perfect example of the disconnect between the thought processes of sports fans and university presidents. Sports fans see Wichita State as a school with great fans and astounding on-the-court success with a recent Final Four appearance and a memorable takedown of Kansas to get to the Sweet Sixteen this year. However, university presidents see Wichita State as a non-flagship public school that’s ranked in the 200s in the U.S. News rankings that are located in a small TV market with little recruiting value (whether for athletes or “regular” college students). Remember that university presidents care just as much about what a school brings to the table when it’s awful on the field/court compared to how well it’s performing at its peak. Wichita State is a classic case of looking great for fans when they’re playing well, but it’s extremely tough for university presidents to see their value when they’re not playing well (as they’re not bringing academic prestige, and institutional fit, a major TV market, etc.)."

If WSU is to move up to the Big East, it has to improve its academic ranking and at least double in size. It also must start developing great basketball players in high school more often.

The only thing about WSU that is major college level is its fans.

Its athletic department and business support are mid-major at best, IMO.
        I was going to admit there's a little truth to this. But then I read the reactions to your post and I'm going to go hide instead lol.

Comment

• The metro is growing but it's a slow process. Last time I looked, we'd moved up a couple of spots in comparison to other TV markets. But we're still in the 50s.

We all love WSU, but it isn't seen highly in regards to its academic standing. Especially when compared to private schools that are more selective about who gets in. That's just a fact and not much we can do about that.

Our research status has been growing ever since Bardo put a special emphasis on it. That helps, but as a whole, we're still not viewed as an impressive research institution. I do think being in the American has probably helped in that regard, but there's still work to be done.

When we were trying to get into the AAC, the biggest concern amongst the other schools was our academic standing. If not for Bardo, I'm not sure we'd have gotten in. The man was a visionary and really put his best effort into improving and growing the school.

We are not a hotbed for recruiting.

Nothing calfan said was really inaccurate and is very much the perception of most other schools when it comes down to it. Perception matters. And I don't think any of the rankings out there are all that glowing when it comes to WSU. I would guess we are the lowest rated, or pretty close, school in the American when it comes to academic rankings. I'm sure the lack of doctoral programs has something to do with that as well.

The average sports fan looks past most of those things, but university presidents don't. The Big East will never happen because of a lot of reasons, including those above. The American has a lot of well respected schools when it comes to academics, and then there's us and Memphis.

We were lucky that out basketball was enough to help us get into the AAC. But that's no guarantee when it comes to a number of other conferences. But we're where we wanted to be, with a number of other urban based and research focused schools. I don't know enough about Muma, but he seems like a guy who was supportive of Bardo and his vision so hopefully we will continue to build upon that. It would go a long way if we could eventually add a doctoral program or two and continue to boost our research prowess in the process.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

That was a Shockers1976 esque post. Good Lord, you are completely out of touch with reality.
            Calfan I suggest you ignore Nabob's post as your argument appears to exceed his intellectual capabilities. OTOH SubGod22's post is worthwhile reading.

Comment

• I do not recommend taking Frank the Tank as a serious expert on conference realignment if the article was written by him.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Re US/News College rankings: 40% of rankings is based on output with 22% of that based on graduation rates.
              WSU can positively do something to address that and improve rankings.

Comment

• To SubGod22's statement regards perception of academic ranking of AAC schools; WSU is ranked between 299-391, Memphis #249, ECU #213, Houston #179, USF and Cincinnati tied #148, Tulsa #136, USF and Temple tied #103, SMU #48 and Tulane #42.
                Last edited by Shocker1976; October 5, 2021, 11:27 AM. Reason: Unfortunately I cannot link the comparison function available on the USNews website so you will have to perform this action to see how the AAC schools compare to one another

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                  To SubGod22's statement regards perception of academic ranking of AAC schools; WSU is ranked between 299-391, Memphis #249, ECU #213, Houston #179, USF and Cincinnati tied #148, Tulsa #136, USF and Temple tied #103, SMU #48 and Tulane #42.
                  C'mon man, we rate pretty high on the "Niche" scale and I know our 'diversity' rating is Schitt'screekish...

Wichita State University - Niche
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• (Maybe this should fall in a different thread). However,

Perhaps I’ve missed it, but I still haven’t heard much from the new WSU President regarding his vision.

I personally don’t have much faith or trust in him until I hear it and see the results.

Maybe it’s just me, or again I’ve missed it.

Comment

• For those waiting on a Big East invitation; US News rankings for the Big East - Georgetown #23, Villanova #49, UConn #63, Marquette #83, Creighton #103, DePaul #127, Seton Hall #127, St John's #172, Providence #1 North Regional College, Butler #1 Midwest Regional College, and Xavier #5 Midwest Regional College.

Academics are important for entry to the Big East.

Comment

For those waiting on a Big East invitation;

Why don't you take your snobbish attitude and go some place else. We all know you are not a WSU fan and are here to annoy people so you can enlighten us with your "truth". But if you want to come here each day and told you are dumbass. So be it.

Comment

For those waiting on a Big East invitation; US News rankings for the Big East - Georgetown #23, Villanova #49, UConn #63, Marquette #83, Creighton #103, DePaul #127, Seton Hall #127, St John's #172, Providence #1 North Regional College, Butler #1 Midwest Regional College, and Xavier #5 Midwest Regional College.

Your post was compelling to me. If the university presidents truly hold the most power in conference realignment, then we have no chance.

There's no question that Wichita State makes the Big Pee a more competitive conference, but do we bring them more revenue? Maybe only in NCAA creds. Do we drag down their cumulative national academic rankings? Absolutely.

Don't take the hate too seriously. I didn't when I said the AAC will never pull from the B12. Your rational approach will serve you well.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

C'mon man, we rate pretty high on the "Niche" scale and I know our 'diversity' rating is Schitt'screekish...

Wichita State University - Niche
                            Did you read the information on the link you posted? WSU was rated dead last of the nine Kansas schools they listed; KSU #1, KU #2, Pittsburg #3, Emporia #4, Newman #5, Baker #6, Mid-America Nazarene #7, Fort Hays #8 and Wichita State #9.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Why don't you take your snobbish attitude and go some place else. We all know you are not a WSU fan and are here to annoy people so you can enlighten us with your "truth". But if you want to come here each day and told you are dumbass. So be it.
                              You must be part of the "woke" segment of the US population if you think posting facts is "snobbish"

Additionally, IMO given the quality of thought in your post you can join Nabob in the intellectually challenged Shockernet posters.

Comment

Did you read the information on the link you posted? WSU was rated dead last of the nine Kansas schools they listed; KSU #1, KU #2, Pittsburg #3, Emporia #4, Newman #5, Baker #6, Mid-America Nazarene #7, Fort Hays #8 and Wichita State #9.
                                No, I just post for $chitts and giggles…
                                Get a meter man! Ratings are such bullschitt anyway.
                                Last edited by WstateU; October 5, 2021, 12:59 PM.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X