Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

C'mon man, be serious. The Little 8 will NOT be without a media partner. If the AAC can get a media partner, the L8 can as well. You are essentially inferring that the L8 is "worth less" than the AAC. That's insanity to anyone outside the AAC. Their facilities alone absolutely DWARF the AAC's. You'll have somebody like FS1 for the Big Pee come along and offer them a boatload of cash. Maybe Amazon Prime? They have trillions they could flush down the toilet if they wanted.

If they were so insignificant, then why would the top AAC teams be willing to chop their pricks off to join? Why would you **** yourself if the Shox were invited to join? Be real bro. Cincinnati is at home right now beating off to Twitter every time they hear their name mentioned in the same sentence as Big 12.
    They'll get a media deal from someone, it just won't be worth all that much. Especially if ESPN isn't willing to drive up the price bidding for them. Fox apparently doesn't see them as that big of a deal and nobody else is going to pay them a ton of money without OU/UT. It's been said by many that their current value without those two is around AAC money and that adding some AAC teams isn't going to drive up the value to what they want.

So far, on the flip side, we have a currently undervalued AAC with much better markets that could help ESPN by killing off the Big 8. ESPN is almost definitely willing to spend a little more to do that and take content away from their biggest competitor. It's still not going to be what the leftovers are used to, but it's better than what they're likely to get doing anything else. I admit it gets better for us if one or two of them find a new home somehow outside of the AAC or Big 8, but that sounds very unlikely right now.

Even if Amazon or Netflix or whoever wants in, if they're not bidding against others, what incentive do they have to overpay?
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Rather than a merger, I could see the creation of a new conference, sorta like they did when Conference USA was created, or the AAC for that matter. They take the best from both and leave the remaining members on the outside scrambling to find new homes. That would not be good for WSU.

Comment

• Hopefully, our new WSU President is working aggressively behind the scenes to build relationships so we land on our feet. I have confidence that Dr. Bardo would have had us positioned positively for the future, but I don’t know enough about Dr. Muma and how he will operate during these uncertain times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Rather than a merger, I could see the creation of a new conference, sorta like they did when Conference USA was created, or the AAC for that matter. They take the best from both and leave the remaining members on the outside scrambling to find new homes. That would not be good for WSU.
          Lucky for us, nobody wants Navy Olympic sports, and KU is too proud to leave football in the Missouri Valley.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• A report out today says the Big 12 and Pac-12 commissioners are going to be meeting to discuss alliance options. Pac-20?

Comment

• The more I think about it, the more I believe that the Big 12's fate is tied to KU. Realistically speaking, they are not only the largest money-maker left but also the last flagship university (I expect that WVU is gone regardless). It is also the school with by far the deepest historical ties, with its founding role in the MVIAA, Big Six, and Big Eight. There is a reason the worst power conference football program was able to get Les Miles of all people to sign on board: KU has more clout than any other remaining Big 12 member.

As I see it, that makes KU by far the most likely to leave the conference and secure their own future. They have a few options:
              • The B1G: this would be KU's dream, and they'd accept in a heartbeat for the additional cash and security.
              • The ACC: KU basketball fans would love this, but the lack of geographical sense (no partner college for travel), monetary sidegrade, and reliance on Clemson and FSU make this a way worse landing spot
              • The Pac-12: KU can lead the Big 12 in merger talks, and wouldn't mind being back in a conference with Colorado. The money is a big question though, and the Pac-12 has been sort of an afterthought in both football and basketball for awhile. The only reason the Pac-12 is in a better position is the greater geographical isolation protecting them from poaching. Adding the Big 12 would likely hurt the bottom-line of Pac-12 contracts.
              • The Big East: Similar to the ACC, KU could go the UConn route and park its basketball and Olympic sports in the Big East and put the football team out to pasture as an independent. I think this makes a lot of sense, but ultimately KU's status as a flagship will push them to a traditional league. They probably accept either a Big East or ACC invite post 2025, however.

At a guess, KU's strategy will be:
              1. Pursue the B1G at all costs, leave the nanosecond an offer crosses the table
              2. Work with the Pac-12 to pursue a merger, but don't get too attached if the complications keep it off the table
              3. Wait. If the Pac-12 merger doesn't work, KU has nothing to gain by jumping ship until at least the Grant of Rights expires.
              4. Take an ACC or Big East offer post-GOR if nothing else helps in the meantime.

I think KU leaving immediately would put the Big 12 in a weaker position, as it puts further emphasis on the money ESPN would bring to the table to get out of obligations to Texas and OU. These considerations wouldn't exist post-2025 and the expiration of the Grant of Rights, so any potential MWC and AAC teams would have a way better argument for joining the Big 12 than vice versa.

Without KU, the Pac-12 would have way less reason to accept the Big 12 as a block. This is the only real shot of the Big 12 getting portioned out, with some teams joining the Pac-12 and others being forced to accept an MWC or AAC berth.

This makes it pretty simple for Wichita State. If KU leaves early to the B1G, it mostly likely means the AAC expands. If KU leads the Big 12 into a merger with the Pac-12, it is unlikely that Houston or Memphis would have a shot at joining the merger; Cincinnati may make a solid effort at joining the ACC with WVU. If KU waits till 2025 and joins either the Big East or ACC, then Wichita State probably gets left in a depleted AAC after Houston, Memphis, and Cincinnati leave.

The only way for us to control our own future is to pursue a Big East membership in partnership with AAC (Cincinnati, Tulsa, Houston) and A-10 schools (VCU, Dayton). The longer we wait, the more likely the AAC is poached and we are left in a basketball conference worse than the current MVC. We might get lucky early on and negate the need, or make a sidegrade move to the A-10 after the fact, but we have only one way to improve our circumstances right now. That said, I believe that the Big East is frankly unlikely due to institutional fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
                A report out today says the Big 12 and Pac-12 commissioners are going to be meeting to discuss alliance options. Pac-20?
                So, the PAC-12 blinked.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
                  A report out today says the Big 12 and Pac-12 commissioners are going to be meeting to discuss alliance options. Pac-20?
                  Brand names gonna brand name. No surprise there. If it means our conference stays intact... yippee!

WVU will be earning some frequent flyer miles, that's fo sho!

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                    The more I think about it, the more I believe that the Big 12's fate is tied to KU. Realistically speaking, they are not only the largest money-maker left but also the last flagship university (I expect that WVU is gone regardless). It is also the school with by far the deepest historical ties, with its founding role in the MVIAA, Big Six, and Big Eight. There is a reason the worst power conference football program was able to get Les Miles of all people to sign on board: KU has more clout than any other remaining Big 12 member.

As I see it, that makes KU by far the most likely to leave the conference and secure their own future. They have a few options:
                    • The B1G: this would be KU's dream, and they'd accept in a heartbeat for the additional cash and security.
                    • The ACC: KU basketball fans would love this, but the lack of geographical sense (no partner college for travel), monetary sidegrade, and reliance on Clemson and FSU make this a way worse landing spot
                    • The Pac-12: KU can lead the Big 12 in merger talks, and wouldn't mind being back in a conference with Colorado. The money is a big question though, and the Pac-12 has been sort of an afterthought in both football and basketball for awhile. The only reason the Pac-12 is in a better position is the greater geographical isolation protecting them from poaching. Adding the Big 12 would likely hurt the bottom-line of Pac-12 contracts.
                    • The Big East: Similar to the ACC, KU could go the UConn route and park its basketball and Olympic sports in the Big East and put the football team out to pasture as an independent. I think this makes a lot of sense, but ultimately KU's status as a flagship will push them to a traditional league. They probably accept either a Big East or ACC invite post 2025, however.

At a guess, KU's strategy will be:
                    1. Pursue the B1G at all costs, leave the nanosecond an offer crosses the table
                    2. Work with the Pac-12 to pursue a merger, but don't get too attached if the complications keep it off the table
                    3. Wait. If the Pac-12 merger doesn't work, KU has nothing to gain by jumping ship until at least the Grant of Rights expires.
                    4. Take an ACC or Big East offer post-GOR if nothing else helps in the meantime.

I think KU leaving immediately would put the Big 12 in a weaker position, as it puts further emphasis on the money ESPN would bring to the table to get out of obligations to Texas and OU. These considerations wouldn't exist post-2025 and the expiration of the Grant of Rights, so any potential MWC and AAC teams would have a way better argument for joining the Big 12 than vice versa.

Without KU, the Pac-12 would have way less reason to accept the Big 12 as a block. This is the only real shot of the Big 12 getting portioned out, with some teams joining the Pac-12 and others being forced to accept an MWC or AAC berth.

This makes it pretty simple for Wichita State. If KU leaves early to the B1G, it mostly likely means the AAC expands. If KU leads the Big 12 into a merger with the Pac-12, it is unlikely that Houston or Memphis would have a shot at joining the merger; Cincinnati may make a solid effort at joining the ACC with WVU. If KU waits till 2025 and joins either the Big East or ACC, then Wichita State probably gets left in a depleted AAC after Houston, Memphis, and Cincinnati leave.

The only way for us to control our own future is to pursue a Big East membership in partnership with AAC (Cincinnati, Tulsa, Houston) and A-10 schools (VCU, Dayton). The longer we wait, the more likely the AAC is poached and we are left in a basketball conference worse than the current MVC. We might get lucky early on and negate the need, or make a sidegrade move to the A-10 after the fact, but we have only one way to improve our circumstances right now. That said, I believe that the Big East is frankly unlikely due to institutional fit.
                    I disagree: ku has zero clout. Any school with adequate facilities and marginally good football is WAY ahead of ku. Ku got Les Miles because he was toxic and the former ad was his friend. And the former ad took a huge risk that cost him his job, and the university continued embarrassment.

Football moves the needle! PERIOD. I think a conference might take a bottom feeding football program IF the facilities were up to snuff, or they showed an ability to raise funds and get them up to snuff. ku has done neither!

Comment

• I can't see the Pac taking Baylor (and maybe even TCU, but I don't know if they still have religious affiliation or not). WVU won't be joining a west coast conference.

So if that were to happen, I can see KU, KSU, ISU, OSU, TTU and possibly TCU going. WVU will try to get into the ACC, but if they fail, then they and Baylor are probably brought into the AAC. That would be alright with me, as long as there's an agreement Baylor can't wear highlighter colors.

Comment

• If you add two piles of poop together you’re still left with poop, just more of it.

But hey, it has a name brand! Everybody knows what the smelly brown stuff is!

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                          If you add two piles of poop together you’re still left with poop, just more of it.

But hey, it has a name brand! Everybody knows what the smelly brown stuff is!
                          Your post smells like jealousy.

Information, history, pictures & more of Big 12 College Football Stadiums.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Your post smells like jealousy.

Information, history, pictures & more of Big 12 College Football Stadiums.

That's supposed to make people jealous?? You really do need to get out more bro...

Comment

• Like someone said, the Pac won't take Baylor or TCU and I am not sure Iowa St and definitely not WVU will be thrilled to join a west coast based conference. Good luck. Lol.

Comment

• Sweet Jesus Texas A&M have done well for themselves. OU and UT fittin' to get some of that good good too...

Comment

Working...
                                X