Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Replace AAC with ESPN and you will understand why it's the most likely. ESPN wants them out of the Big XII .. AAC just will happen to be the beneficiary. ESPN holds ALL the cards here. They control the BIG XII's financial future no matter what way the BIG XII decides. That's the key point.
    I fear your bias is infecting your reasoning. It's understandable. I too hope our conference gets an upgrade. But we are still talking about some very powerful programs (compared to the AAC's average). It's clear reasoning why other conferences do not want to split their revenue with another school that won't increase the overall kitty. But there remains the final, and most likely option... for the B12 to remain at 8, not diluting their brands. If they can do that until this entire **** show goes Super League (in 2025?), they will manage to eek out a small win for themselves.

The New Big 8 will still schedule all the same power programs. They still have the power facilities, the brands, the players. OSU will still play OU, and UT will still play TT, Baylor, etc.

Or... they can come to the AAC and be forced to play USF, ECU, Temple, Tulane, and Tulsa.................

I know if I'm a current B12 fan, I'm praying to find a conference. But if that isn't a possibility, I'm praying that everybody decides to stay. I think the other power conferences will help them with their decisions.

If we see that K|Uck and OSU find a new home, then things could get VERY dicey for Wichita State fans. :(

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Replace AAC with ESPN and you will understand why it's the most likely. ESPN wants them out of the Big XII .. AAC just will happen to be the beneficiary. ESPN holds ALL the cards here. They control the BIG XII's financial future no matter what way the BIG XII decides. That's the key point.
      By the way, what is the total compensation that the remaining B12 schools will receive if the conference stays alive; Tier 1, 2, 3, abcdefg...

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

By the way, what is the total compensation that the remaining B12 schools will receive if the conference stays alive; Tier 1, 2, 3, abcdefg...
        Unknown ..All will be opened up and renegotiated or litigated once UT and OU fully leaves the conference.

Comment

If we see that K|Uck and OSU find a new home, then things could get VERY dicey for Wichita State fans. :(
          Explain this to me.

Comment

• Let me repeat : many pundits have said the current AAC is a better football conference than the B12 w/o OU and UT. If I am Cincy, Memphis, UCF or USF, I don't think it is a easy decision to make the move.

Comment

• At this point, we have to expect the Big 12 to make an all out push to get Cinci, UCF, Memphis, Houston, etc., don't we? That being said, it sure seems to me like ole Nuttttttttty Bowlsby is playing this extremely short term with no plan past 2025. Either the Big 12 falls apart now, or it falls apart in 2025. It's almost like he doesn't care what happens except for collecting all the OU, Texas, and ESPN money he can.

Comment

• And so far, it seems like the B1G, PAC12 and ACC are all saying they don't have any interest in expanding, other than the ACC wanting Notre Dame. I realize talk is cheap, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of smoke out there.

Comment

• A couple of things happen here. OU and Texas will petition to leave the conference by next year. I think the little 8 will try to hold out as a conference just to bleed tu and ou for the penalty of leaving early Depending on the payout and whether it is a lump sum or paid out over a numver of years I am sure will be a negotiated item. The tv contract will be renegotiated for next year and will probably be in the neighborhood of half of what it is now. I think that the little 8 stays together for the financial considerations for a year but will ultimately become a thing of the past, If the AAC and the big 12 combined under the Big 12 name is there benefit in that that they could still retain the BCS status they now have or would it make no difference under what name the two would combine?

Comment

I saw this in a media rights thread on some conference board right after the OU/TU news broke. With OSU (under the current earning structure) it’s something like 12m per school. If OSU is picked up it drops to about 7m per school. I think the AAC deal is worth 5m per school.

edit: the conference as it stands is at 37m per school. That means OU/TU are figured to generate 67% (250m) of the income (370m) if those numbers reported are correct. Based on how all this went down, I have no reason to doubt it.
                    Last edited by shock; July 30, 2021, 11:57 AM.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                      Let me repeat : many pundits have said the current AAC is a better football conference than the B12 w/o OU and UT. If I am Cincy, Memphis, UCF or USF, I don't think it is a easy decision to make the move.
                      And talk like that helps the AAC cause. Especially since few seem to think the XII will try to do anything quickly. ESPN gets at least one football season to push the AAC hard over the XII to help build that up even more. The AAC is already undervalued, so if they add a few XII schools and things are renegotiated, there should be a pretty good bump. Not 30M per school bump, but I could see a 15M-20M depending on what schools are added to the group. Is Fox going to pay that for the remaining schools? Would they pay that if a few AAC schools were added? Do any of these schools want to risk being on the bad side of ESPN?
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I can't imagine any program that would actually bolster the Big 8 would even consider joining. Everyone besides the Big 8 thinks they will soon fail to exist. Who would be crazy enough to do that? Am I missing something?

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          A couple of things happen here. OU and Texas will petition to leave the conference by next year. I think the little 8 will try to hold out as a conference just to bleed tu and ou for the penalty of leaving early Depending on the payout and whether it is a lump sum or paid out over a numver of years I am sure will be a negotiated item. The tv contract will be renegotiated for next year and will probably be in the neighborhood of half of what it is now. I think that the little 8 stays together for the financial considerations for a year but will ultimately become a thing of the past, If the AAC and the big 12 combined under the Big 12 name is there benefit in that that they could still retain the BCS status they now have or would it make no difference under what name the two would combine?
                          The buyout right now is 100m per school. That would be enough to offset the media rights loss for one year.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                            I can't imagine any program that would actually bolster the Big 8 would even consider joining. Everyone besides the Big 8 thinks they will soon fail to exist. Who would be crazy enough to do that? Am I missing something?
                            My thinking as well. Anyone willing to join the Big 8 right now is not attractive enough for that conference. They are in quite a pickle.
                            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

My thinking as well. Anyone willing to join the Big 8 right now is not attractive enough for that conference. They are in quite a pickle.
                              Not to mention future recruiting. Will highly sought after athletes want to go with a Big 8 school?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Explain this to me.
                                I would say that would be the threshold where you would start to hear a distinct sucking sound at AAC headquarters.

Cincy, Memphis, and UCF/UH would be bye bye. They'd probably nab BYU also.

Make no mistake, if ANY AAC program gets an official invite to the B12 at ANY moment, they will be gone barring some incredible financial intervention by ESPN.

Comment

Working...
                                X