Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
    AG would be a very good choice, IMO, especially looking at the options of who could come in immediately.
    Didn’t he get accused of domestic violence?

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Scott Sutton
      NO ; D

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
        If DM was ONLY for this season, it could be worse.
        Not much.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Not much.
          Still worse though ;)
          The Assman

Comment

• Unless it's a grand slam hire, there is no reason to rush a replacement. This year is likely a throw away year for most everyone. No one is using eligibility ... Who knows how many games will actually end up happening ... Who knows how they will handle the tournament this year. If we don't land a Beilein or Matta type hire, just let Isaac coach this year. Then we can make a good hire in the spring. With the transfer rule looking likely to go into place for next year there will be a record breaking number of kids in the transfer portal. Whoever our new coach is, if we make a good hire, will have plenty of kids to be able to pick up and get moving right away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
              Unless it's a grand slam hire, there is no reason to rush a replacement. This year is likely a throw away year for most everyone. No one is using eligibility ... Who knows how many games will actually end up happening ... Who knows how they will handle the tournament this year. If we don't land a Beilein or Matta type hire, just let Isaac coach this year. Then we can make a good hire in the spring. With the transfer rule looking likely to go into place for next year there will be a record breaking number of kids in the transfer portal. Whoever our new coach is, if we make a good hire, will have plenty of kids to be able to pick up and get moving right away.
              agreed, solid

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                While I like the prospect of Griffin there would be these allegations to deal with. Not sure timing and circumstances would be in his favor.
                I wasn't aware of this. Even if the allegations are proven false and it's just a result of a vengeful ex, I can't see that clearing up prior to any hire. That's assuming there's actually an investigation. (This was just a tweet(s)). I don't see WSU hiring him w/ these allegations of abuse hanging over his head (falsely or not) after they just let go of a coach over allegations of abuse.

That's disappointing as I really liked the idea of AG (if you couldn't tell by my previous posts).

Comment

• Brown's obviously the head coach this year. He's already been coaching the kids for the last week and their first game is in 10 days.

A coach won't be announced til 2021.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                    Brown's obviously the head coach this year. He's already been coaching the kids for the last week and their first game is in 10 days.

A coach won't be announced til 2021.
                    There are a very small subset of available splash hire coaches that are worth throwing the wrench in this year for. It should be a VERY small list though. The Manning rumor makes me think the list is bigger that i personally think it should be.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                      If there was ever a time to get the coach and son combo...

https://247sports.com/Player/AJ-Griffin-46056024/
                      No ****, why can't we play this game for once?
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by jrschh View Post

I actually like this idea...if he's serious. I wasn't even thinking of him.

Who better fits the mold of what Wichita State has been over the last decade+? He was undrafted and spent 3 years in the "minors" until finally getting a shot to stick in the NBA. Ultimately, played 9 years in the NBA, known for being a hard nosed player who worked his tail off. At the end of his playing days, he immediately began his coaching career in the NBA. He's been the lead assistant on 3 different NBA teams. The last 2 years as lead assistant with Raptors with his shining big NBA championship ring to show recruits. (I always thought the Raptors were the Wichita State of the NBA. Often under appreciated until they started beating the big dogs and they play hard nosed defense)

(thank you wikipedia)

Being a Wichita guy, you know he already has a connection here. I think fans will instantly support him (not saying they wouldn't) as a "Wichita guy". That conection could probably help keep Chapman. (I'd be surprised if Chapman signs in the early signing period, now)

His 20 years in the NBA will be a big plus on the recruiting trail and it could help keep most of our current players. (Getting to the "league" is what they aspire towards. He did it as a non-"blue chipper", which is basically what our current players are.)

Ultimately, he has a wealth of experience playing at the highest level and for the last 10 years, coaching at the highest level.

I see just as many positives (and maybe more) with his hire vs anyone else. Now, will the administration put him on the list of candidates?
                        His son being the 7th ranked player in the country is interesting also.

Comment

• Comment

• I think it is going to be very difficult to find a qualified candidate within 2 weeks, and even if you get the right guy you essentially flush this year down the drain by swapping systems. I don't think that is fair to the players or the fans. I highly suspect the path forward is to let Isaac Brown be the interim coach so you at least keep the same system and have a decent chance of keeping the players. If Brown overperforms and gets us to the tournament, he might even be 'the one'.

The final guy is going to need to have a way better resume than 2007 Marshall AND be relatively young AND be scandal free. I do think Thad Matta fits the profile. Chris Jans unfortunately has the 'sloppy drunk' allegations, Griffon has DV allegations, and Heiar is implicated in the LSU stuff. I don't think any of those candidates will be a possibility, which sucks particularly for Griffon because I personally think the Raptor's coaching staff is the best in the business and I think it having closer ties to Fred is always a good thing. And there would be the outside shot at having his son decommit and join us.

Steve Forbes and Bob Richey also seem to fit the bill, but I doubt we'd be able to pull the former from Wake and the latter may not have resume. Speaking of Wake Forest guys, Danny Manning simply hasn't shown he can be a head coach at this level. I think he's one of the best big man coaches in the game, but that hasn't translated to success.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                              I don't feel good about this.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post

I don't feel good about this.
                                My guess is that's a random twitter account combining the tweets from ******* (Marshall being done) and Davis (the Matta rumor) into one thing to sounds like they have their own sources.

Comment

Working...
                                X