No announcement yet.

Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don’t know much about Isaac Brown. Would probably be the cheapest option at this point. I’m a little hesitant to just hire an assistant with no head coach experience (if that is the case with him) although it has worked out for other teams in the past.

No offense to Griffin and no judgement of the situation from me because I know nothing of the facts but it might not be feasible to follow the Marshall situation with someone with Griffins recent media exposure.
    Last edited by pie n eye; November 11, 2020, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post
      So do we have any inkling of any possible names, beyond "guys I like"?
      I hear they're thinking of hiring me. But I don't think they want someone who will spend his days crowd-sourcing Xs and Os on ShockerNet. :)
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• FWIW, Adrian Griffin’s son is apparently a five-star recruit currently committed to Duke.

Comment

• Throwing my name out there, I coached a mean 8 year old team
          Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Re Isaac Brown. It’s *******, so take it for what it’s worth.

Comment

• Originally posted by WUs Your Daddy II View Post
              FWIW, Adrian Griffin’s son is apparently a five-star recruit currently committed to Duke.
              Another of his kids....

Comment

• Brown to get us through the year. Jan's next year and he brings heier back with him. That's my dream.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                  I actually like this idea...if he's serious. I wasn't even thinking of him.

Who better fits the mold of what Wichita State has been over the last decade+? He was undrafted and spent 3 years in the "minors" until finally getting a shot to stick in the NBA. Ultimately, played 9 years in the NBA, known for being a hard nosed player who worked his tail off. At the end of his playing days, he immediately began his coaching career in the NBA. He's been the lead assistant on 3 different NBA teams. The last 2 years as lead assistant with Raptors with his shining big NBA championship ring to show recruits. (I always thought the Raptors were the Wichita State of the NBA. Often under appreciated until they started beating the big dogs and they play hard nosed defense)

(thank you wikipedia)

Being a Wichita guy, you know he already has a connection here. I think fans will instantly support him (not saying they wouldn't) as a "Wichita guy". That conection could probably help keep Chapman. (I'd be surprised if Chapman signs in the early signing period, now)

His 20 years in the NBA will be a big plus on the recruiting trail and it could help keep most of our current players. (Getting to the "league" is what they aspire towards. He did it as a non-"blue chipper", which is basically what our current players are.)

Ultimately, he has a wealth of experience playing at the highest level and for the last 10 years, coaching at the highest level.

I see just as many positives (and maybe more) with his hire vs anyone else. Now, will the administration put him on the list of candidates?
                  Last edited by jrschh; November 11, 2020, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrschh View Post

I actually like this idea...if he's serious. I wasn't even thinking of him.

Who better fits the mold of what Wichita State has been over the last decade+? He was undrafted and spent 3 years in the "minors" until finally getting a shot to stick in the NBA. Ultimately, played 9 years in the NBA, known for being a hard nosed player who worked his tail off. At the end of his playing days, he immediately began his coaching career in the NBA. He's been the lead assistant on 3 different NBA teams. The last 2 years as lead assistant with Raptors with his shining big NBA championship ring to show recruits. (I always thought the Raptors were the Wichita State of the NBA. Often under appreciated until they started beating the big dogs and they play hard nosed defense)

(thank you wikipedia)

Being a Wichita guy, you know he already has a connection here. I think fans will instantly support him (not saying they wouldn't) as a "Wichita guy". That conection could probably help keep Chapman. (I'd be surprised if Chapman signs in the early signing period, now)

His 20 years in the NBA will be a big plus on the recruiting trail, plus it could help keep most of our current players. (Getting to the "league" is what they aspire towards. Plus he did as a non "blue chipper", which is basically what our current players are.)

Ultimately, he has a wealth of experience playing at the highest level and for the last 10 years, coaching at the highest level.

I see just as many positives (and maybe more) with his hire vs anyone else. Now, will the administration put him on the list of candidates?
                    The counter point to him is he has no Head coaching experience. Also, I would expect that if we hire a brand new Head Coach over the top of Isaac Brown, we will likely lose Isaac in a year or so. As I would probably leave too if it was clear I wasn't going to get promoted. If we bring in an experienced head coach, i think it's more likely he stays.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

While I agree with the Hinson take (minus the colorful flourish at the end) I don’t think we’re on the same page re: Matta.

53 is not that old. Yes, his health was bad when he and OSU parted ways and that should be taken into consideration but Steve Kerr struggled with some debilitating back issues for a while too and he seems to have put those behind him.

Matta has a pretty impressive track record during his 13 years at OSU. 5 Big Ten reg season titles, 4 conf tourney titles, 2 final fours, NIT championship, only one season with < 20 wins (his final season), NCAA tourney 9/12 years.

I think if we want to get someone in immediately he would be a solid hire with some potential if he’s healthy. Maybe a really good hire, I don’t know.
                      Its pretty easy to get a good track record when you are at a school like Ohio State that cheats in football and basketball. And has players that are 4 and 5 stars. We need a coach that can relate to the players that we got here and has some experience in coaching them up. There is no history showing That Matta has coached up anyone. My memory of T. Matta is watching his red face as the shockers kicked his butt in the Elite 8 game. Come to think of it, Matta had a bunch of overrated so-called all americans in that game. And we had Malcolm Armstead, Carl Hall and the boys.

I do know that I Brown has been at WSU for more than 6 years and has experience with the players. He knows the Marshall system and was responsible for many successful game plans. He was also the lead recruiter for Clarence Jackson, Chauncy Jenkins, and the Wade brothers. Waterman was the lead recruiter for Dexter Dennis, Ricky Council IV, Tyson Etinne, Alterique Gilbert, Jayden Seymour, and J Bilau. And Coach Gudino who has only been here for a short time was the lead recruiter on Craig Porter and the kid that verbaled this year named Sterling Chapman.

I am for giving Coach Brown a chance if Coach Marshall is really leaving. My two cents.

Comment

• Thad Matta has let it known he is not interested.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                          Brown to get us through the year. Jan's next year and he brings heier back with him. That's my dream.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                            Thad Matta has let it known he is not interested.
                            The feeling is mutual.

Comment

• I’m skeptical of NBA coaches without at least some experience in college. I’d be willing to take a look at Griffin at some point, maybe keep him in the pipeline.

Sure, Isaac Brown is ready for his own program. But a top 30 job in the AAC? Usually new HC’s cut their teeth in the WAC, OVC, etc. He might be a good one to stash at one of these programs and call him up later.

Thad Matta would be an absolute homerun and make me feel a lot better about this crappy situation.
                              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
                                Time to bump this to the top.
                                John Beilein-?
                                Steve Forbes- nor realistic
                                Chris Jans- doubtful
                                Earl Grant- maybe but not likely
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X