Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

The counter point to him is he has no Head coaching experience. Also, I would expect that if we hire a brand new Head Coach over the top of Isaac Brown, we will likely lose Isaac in a year or so. As I would probably leave too if it was clear I wasn't going to get promoted. If we bring in an experienced head coach, i think it's more likely he stays.
    I understand your point. Does Isaac Brown have head coaching experience? Additionally, unless we hire Brown, we'll most likely lose him no matter who we bring in.

Regarding Griffin, Nick Nurse actually sat out a game in the bubble to let Adrian coach the team. He said he wanted to showcase Adrian's coaching ability...that he's ready for a head coaching job. I'll take Nurses endorcement.

With that said, I won't be upset if we were to hire Brown, he'd provide stability during this time. I just thought Griffin was/is an interesting prospect.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Its pretty easy to get a good track record when you are at a school like Ohio State that cheats in football and basketball. And has players that are 4 and 5 stars. We need a coach that can relate to the players that we got here and has some experience in coaching them up. There is no history showing That Matta has coached up anyone. My memory of T. Matta is watching his red face as the shockers kicked his butt in the Elite 8 game. Come to think of it, Matta had a bunch of overrated so-called all americans in that game. And we had Malcolm Armstead, Carl Hall and the boys.

I do know that I Brown has been at WSU for more than 6 years and has experience with the players. He knows the Marshall system and was responsible for many successful game plans. He was also the lead recruiter for Clarence Jackson, Chauncy Jenkins, and the Wade brothers. Waterman was the lead recruiter for Dexter Dennis, Ricky Council IV, Tyson Etinne, Alterique Gilbert, Jayden Seymour, and J Bilau. And Coach Gudino who has only been here for a short time was the lead recruiter on Craig Porter and the kid that verbaled this year named Sterling Chapman.

I am for giving Coach Brown a chance if Coach Marshall is really leaving. My two cents.
      That’s all well and good. Maybe Brown is the man for the job.

However, on Thad Matta, you went from “it’s easy to win because he had 4 and 5 star players” to “he had a bunch of overrated so called All-Americans.” Which is it? Did he only win because he had talented players or was he coaching up overrated guys?

Also forgive me if I don’t find convincing an opinion of him that is based on a recollection of one game.

You say Ohio State cheats in football. That has nothing to do with basketball.

As far as I know Thad Matta was never penalized for or accused of any kind of cheating while at OSU.

Matta may not be the right man for the job, I don’t know. Nothing you’ve said is remotely convincing. It barely makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        Thad Matta has let it known he is not interested.
        Unless you saw something different than me ... A source stated that he would not be replacing Gregg Marshall this year. That's a different statement than not interested to me. Sounds more like contract negotiations and potential conflict with picking up a team 2 weeks before the start of the year.

Comment

• If Adrian Griffin wants the job as much as that tweet says he does, I think it's a no brainer. You take Griffin. He checks all the boxes except head coaching experience.

Local ties.
          NBA ties - kids these days want NBA cred, that would help with recruiting. Adrian has been there, done that.
          NBA experience - this is where the trends are set. I get that college is a different game, but it's trending toward the 1 on 1 and matchup exploitation scheme that is the NBA. How many times have players gone off against us? it's because those coaches are able to put their strong players in a position to be good. That's what the NBA has been doing for years. Adrian would be able to bring that to the coaching game.
          He has sons that are in the game. He knows what is going on, he's in it. His kids are in it. He can relate. I'm not saying GM couldn't because he didn't have that, but it's one thing to have kids that are the same age as your recruits, it's another to have kids that are in the identical atmosphere as the guys you will be recruiting and know both sides of the coin.

And it just feels more exciting. It feels like more of the gamble or risk with the higher upside. Even if he comes in and bombs (which no one can predict) wouldn't you rather take the chance that he comes in and kills it and ride that train? I know I would.

We lost out on him coming here as a player and it was a mistake. Maybe we are getting a 2nd chance to fix that error.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• If it’s too good to be true, it likely is. Remember, as of right now the people that will be making the hire are the same people who decided to push Gregg out. Good decision making is not their strong suit.
            Adrian Griffin has a good shot, sad to say. Seems like a Penny hire to me.
            After pushing out Marshall, I would assume his coaching tree is off limits after this year.
            john Beilin, Thad Matta are not likely.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
              If Adrian Griffin wants the job as much as that tweet says he does, I think it's a no brainer. You take Griffin. He checks all the boxes except head coaching experience.

Local ties.
              NBA ties - kids these days want NBA cred, that would help with recruiting. Adrian has been there, done that.
              NBA experience - this is where the trends are set. I get that college is a different game, but it's trending toward the 1 on 1 and matchup exploitation scheme that is the NBA. How many times have players gone off against us? it's because those coaches are able to put their strong players in a position to be good. That's what the NBA has been doing for years. Adrian would be able to bring that to the coaching game.
              He has sons that are in the game. He knows what is going on, he's in it. His kids are in it. He can relate. I'm not saying GM couldn't because he didn't have that, but it's one thing to have kids that are the same age as your recruits, it's another to have kids that are in the identical atmosphere as the guys you will be recruiting and know both sides of the coin.

And it just feels more exciting. It feels like more of the gamble or risk with the higher upside. Even if he comes in and bombs (which no one can predict) wouldn't you rather take the chance that he comes in and kills it and ride that train? I know I would.

We lost out on him coming here as a player and it was a mistake. Maybe we are getting a 2nd chance to fix that error.
              Penny 2.0?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Unless you saw something different than me ... A source stated that he would not be replacing Gregg Marshall this year. That's a different statement than not interested to me.
                WSU seems to have a need now. The program is not going to wait around until it is convenient for candidates. If somebody is not chomping at the opportunity right now, then he not somebody who has the energy foe this program.

THAD MATTA - No Longer A Candidate

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

WSU seems to have a need now. The program is not going to wait around until it is convenient for candidates. If somebody is not chomping at the opportunity right now, then he not somebody who has the energy foe this program.

THAD MATTA - No Longer A Candidate
                  Gonna disagree there. We have a perfectly capable interim coach in Isaac Brown. We do NOT have to backfill right away. This year very well could be an "interview" for Isaac. If he overperforms, Make him head coach, if he doesn't, hire someone in the spring. I think even the best head coaches wouldn't want their first year to start 2 weeks before a season. Almost zero chance of implementing your system.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Penny 2.0?
                    I'd say there's a little bit of a difference between coaching high school basketball for a few years versus coaching in the NBA for 10 years. While Adrian might not be the guy (though I do like him as a prospect) he is not a Penny 2.0!

Comment

• If Marshall's behavior was bad enough to get him forced out, how does the school justify hiring a coach that was on the staff when said behavior occurred? Did he see it and decline to report it? Did he see it and stand by and not intervene? Did he report it and nothing was done about it? I'm not saying he should be disqualified, but those are questions that would have to be answered. I'm not sure what the answer is there.

Comment

• Before they hire anybody, they need to establish a bare minimum. They need to test them and if they spell it Witchita State, they should go to the next guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by cjp27 View Post
                          If Marshall's behavior was bad enough to get him forced out, how does the school justify hiring a coach that was on the staff when said behavior occurred? Did he see it and decline to report it? Did he see it and stand by and not intervene? Did he report it and nothing was done about it? I'm not saying he should be disqualified, but those are questions that would have to be answered. I'm not sure what the answer is there.
                          I was thinking the same thing. But, I think it is important to note that so far, IB has more public backing from players during that era than Marshall does.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrschh View Post

I'd say there's a little bit of a difference between coaching high school basketball for a few years versus coaching in the NBA for 10 years. While Adrian might not be the guy (though I do like him as a prospect) he is not a Penny 2.0!
                            I HATE to admit it .. but I'd take Penny 2.0 IMO. He hasn't been the absolute disaster I thought he would be .. and lets face it, Memphis has been at the same level as Wichita in his first couple years. He still has to prove the longevity but his recruiting has been impressive and the hype he instantly built is going to carry Memphis for a bit.

Comment

• It would be nice if Ron Baker was brought in as an assistant, given the fact he is pretty beaten up physically and his professional days may be numbered

Comment

• Originally posted by cjp27 View Post
                                If Marshall's behavior was bad enough to get him forced out, how does the school justify hiring a coach that was on the staff when said behavior occurred? Did he see it and decline to report it? Did he see it and stand by and not intervene? Did he report it and nothing was done about it? I'm not saying he should be disqualified, but those are questions that would have to be answered. I'm not sure what the answer is there.
                                Valid point

Comment

Working...
                                X