No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm just sitting here thinking how great it will be if the chips fall in a way that allows us to escape the mvc :) who knows what could be coming...

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
      Not according to the Texas Monthly article I attached in my post. There is at least some level of smoke. Maybe not a fire, but some smoke.

Don't forget that Houston is in the top 5 television markets in the United States. There is already a big fan base from LSU and A&M (Houston has the most A&M grads in any major city and I'm sure the same can be said for LSU). If the SEC took UH in as a member, they'd have a lock on the Houston TV market that the Big12 will not be able to dent.

Put it like this: If the MVC added Loyola of Chicago as a member (supposedly due to the Chicago TV market) why wouldn't the SEC seriously considering adding Houston for the exact same reasons (and even more, since UH isn't quite the step-maiden Loyola is.
      The SEC won't be adding a city school any time soon. And you illustrated that with the addition of A&M how they already have the Houston market. Furthermore this weirdo writer at Texas Monthly has a middle name of NOVA. That is weird. And he referred to Coach Bill Snyder as the "Purple Wizard" in a supposedly legitimate article. If there is smoke to the UH to SEC narrative, it is because this NOVA guy is smoking something.

Sorry Shocka not trying to be negative on the city of Houston. One of my closest friends is from Humble and he is a Strake Jesuit Prep man. I think very highly of the area.

Comment

• I don't think WSU will ever be a Big 12 member. Bardo has even publicly said that being in a conference with other city schools would be more suitable. And frankly, Big 12 football has been a yawn the past couple years, bringing back a championship game will help, but still won't fix all of their problems.
        Big 12 basketball- Lots of athletes, but beyond KU, they don't win big games in the tournament and none of them ever rival KU during the regular season some how. Which basically makes Big 12 basketball a yawn too.
        Baseball-Lets face it, wsu baseball would suffer even more in the Big 12. Not because of talent, more so because Big 12 fans write baseball off as something they dont care to talk about or watch for some reason.

Comment

• The Shockers are looking to bring their football program up to the FBS . . .
          We are? Has the fall football schedule for our FCS program been released yet?

/facepalm

Comment

• Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
            The SEC won't be adding a city school any time soon. And you illustrated that with the addition of A&M how they already have the Houston market. Furthermore this weirdo writer at Texas Monthly has a middle name of NOVA. That is weird. And he referred to Coach Bill Snyder as the "Purple Wizard" in a supposedly legitimate article. If there is smoke to the UH to SEC narrative, it is because this NOVA guy is smoking something.

Sorry Shocka not trying to be negative on the city of Houston. One of my closest friends is from Humble and he is a Strake Jesuit Prep man. I think very highly of the area.
            Thanks for the discussion, I was just trying to present an alternative context. Who knows what's going on when the conference AD's meet (B12 and SEC). You never know, the entire situation might end up like Baylor's. The ONLY way they got into the B12 was Ann Richards and her gang. UT and A&M were ready to throw them under the bus just like UH, TCU and SMU. Anne Richards, Bob Bullock and some others who were powerful and politically connected weren't going to let them get away with it and threatened to retaliate by gutting funding to Texas' flagship schools.

And, in the end (and as we all know) Baylor won.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              We are? Has the fall football schedule for our FCS program been released yet?

/facepalm
              If you throw in the word "hypothetical" in there before "football program" it's pretty accurate.
              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                I don't think WSU will ever be a Big 12 member. Bardo has even publicly said that being in a conference with other city schools would be more suitable. And frankly, Big 12 football has been a yawn the past couple years, bringing back a championship game will help, but still won't fix all of their problems.
                Big 12 basketball- Lots of athletes, but beyond KU, they don't win big games in the tournament and none of them ever rival KU during the regular season some how. Which basically makes Big 12 basketball a yawn too.
                Baseball-Lets face it, wsu baseball would suffer even more in the Big 12. Not because of talent, more so because Big 12 fans write baseball off as something they dont care to talk about or watch for some reason.
                Are you having this conversation with yourself? I'm pretty sure no one on this forum has ever mentioned WSU as a possibility for the B12.

But yeah, in that alternate reality, having WSU in the B12 would totally suck.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                  Are you having this conversation with yourself? I'm pretty sure no one on this forum has ever mentioned WSU as a possibility for the B12.

But yeah, in that alternate reality, having WSU in the B12 would totally suck.
                  I would really like to see them bring FB back and I would also like us to get out of the MVC. We were loyal when a lot of schools, like Louisville, Memphis, St. Louis and others went on to bigger and better things, we stuck with our conference affiliation.

And all it got us was a continual chain of being $h@t on by people like Elgin.

I could see WSU fitting in real comfortably in a conference like the AAC. But we probably can't get in unless we have D-1 FB.

I see D-1 FB as being a money drain, but I don't think we'll ever upgrade conference affiliation without it.

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                    If you throw in the word "hypothetical" in there before "football program" it's pretty accurate.
                    Yeah, I noticed that too. Sounds like someone didn't do any research.
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Things may be moving pretty fast with the Big 12. I'd sure like to see WSU get in to the American but if things are moving that quick it makes it seem like a long shot since we don't already at least have football in the works... Maybe they'd take the *assurance* that it's coming along?

Comment

• As long as there is a KU and a KSU in the Big 12, hell will freeze over before they would agree to vote us in.

But if anyone thinks it would suck to be in the Big 12 and that football would be a money drain, think again. AP reported today that the Big 12 "recently distributed $30 MILLION payouts to its members for the most recently concluded school year. Money comes from a 13 year-TV deal with ESPN and Fox that runs through 2024-25 and is worth $2.6 billion or more than $20 million per school per year."

Story further states, "For perspective, the American Athletic Conference is in the middle of a seven year deal with ESPN and CBS that is worth $126 million or about $2 million per year per school."

It is further stated, "The common practice is that incoming new schools get partial revenue shares for a few years. TCU and West Virginia just finished their fourth season this year and finally got full their full amount."

Comment

• I live in Houston and from what I've gathered from the sports talk around here, everyone thinks b12 is going to grab UH and BYU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                            I live in Houston and from what I've gathered from the sports talk around here, everyone thinks b12 is going to grab UH and BYU.
                            You might have something if from the sports talk around Provo, everyone thinks the b12 is going to grab BYU and UH.

Comment

• BYU and West Virginia in the same conference? Seems illogical.
                              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                              -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                                BYU and West Virginia in the same conference? Seems illogical.
                                There's TV money to be had (for now)! That trumps logic!

Comment

Working...
                                X