American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
    I sense a lot of corner-cutting being done by WSU according to the report to bring it back. A football field with a track is high school. A practice facility crammed into a crowded site 200 feet away from Section 8 housing would also be very small time.

If they decide to do this, they better do it right. No corner-cutting. If they're at a point where they have to squeeze every penny out of every available avenue, then that tells me it's not even worth it from the start. Otherwise they're setting themselves up for monumental failure.
    I don't always see eye-to-eye with Fever but he is spot on. If you're going to bring back football, do it right the first time. However, in order to do it right the first time, it's going to take money and lots of it. I'm willing to wait another 20 years if that is what it takes WSU to finally have saved enough to do it right. If the Powers At Be think that a little bit of spit and polish on Cessna Stadium is going to do the trick and we'll be satisfied, then I'm sorry they feel they can insult our intelligence.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Yes, Dr. Bardo has a stated goal of increasing the population of traditional students at WSU. I think he said he would like to get it from the current 8% to 20% or something along those lines. The point is that WSU would still primarily be a commuter school. That is unlikely to change with or without football.

I for one am very grateful the commuter school option at Wichita State was available to me. It was my only option for securing a college education and degree and I was able to do so with no scholarship aid, paying my own way and having no student loan debt upon graduating. Considering all the pain and suffering student loan debt appears to be inflicting these days I believe I received an outstanding value from Wichita State. I have no problem with trying to attract more traditional students but I also believe there is great value provided by WSU as a commuter option to many students and families in the Wichita vicinity. Not to mention valuable options for adult re-training and education. Anythings that helps people improve their lives is not a bad thing.
      College would not have been an option for me except for Wichita State. I was able to live at home, work, and get a degree. I would have enjoyed the traditional college experience, but I would not trade being a " Shocker for Life" for any other school. Due to various financial setbacks, I did graduate with some debt, which I paid off in a few months. It didn't take almost 10 years, like my KSU Wildcat daughter. Oh yes, and when I attended, we had football, which I miss and was a lot of fun.

Comment

• One way this makes sense is if someone approached Bardo (or Bardo approached someone) and the conversation resulted in "someone" wanting to know how much it would cost to do a no-frills startup.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
          What if we knock out two birds with one stone here? Renovate Koch again to be a 30,000 seat arena that doubles as a basketball arena and indoor football arena. Ticket sales for both sports will pay for the arena in 5 years. Problem solved, someone call Bardo.
          This is truly thinking outside of the box; an idea that President Bardo and his interested parties should consider. I was in Syracuse, New York when the Carrier Dome was constructed and it paid (pays) major dividends for the city and the University. But I think the FargoDome is a more relevant example since NDSU plays FCS football in the MVFC.

Last edited by Shocker1976; June 29, 2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            One way this makes sense is if someone approached Bardo (or Bardo approached someone) and the conversation resulted in "someone" wanting to know how much it would cost to do a no-frills startup.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
              I'll probably regret asking, but who is that?
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                Chase Koch, the son of the man whose name is on our arena...
                78-65

Comment

I'll be honest, I didn't know what he looked like until I saw the picture of him in the crowd during our game against KU.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I figured It was someone with a lot of $$ or at least ties to a lot of $$, but I had no idea what Chuck's kid looked like.
                    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

The dude constructing what appears to be a campus of buildings as his private residence, east of Greenwich and a little south of 21st.

Comment

• It's tough finding a good spot to build these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          It's tough finding a good spot to build these days.
                          Some time in the future he will have access to some prime real estate around 13th and rock.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                            The dude constructing what appears to be a campus of buildings as his private residence, east of Greenwich and a little south of 21st.
                            Just a segway ride away from Cabelas. Smart dude.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                              Just a segway ride away from Cabelas. Smart dude.
                              Puh-leeze, you know he's got a Hoverboard.
                              You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                                Puh-leeze, you know he's got a Hoverboard.
                                Network of tunnels.
                                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                                -John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                                X