No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both the Big XII and Pac XII are being chased by the P4 poachers which eventually will expand to 16 teams per.
    The Big XII is stronger than the PAC XII and should take ASU, UofA, Utah, and Colorado. If they don't and instead take a Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston, etc, they will implode and cease to exist while teams like UT, OU, (and KU) get poached by SEC and B1G. The former AAC teams will then rejoin their old conference.
    IMO, regardless of which direction the Big XII goes, WSU should focus on joining the AAC, as it will be the strongest non P4 (16 teams per) conference once everything shakes out, and represents a better time zone and rivalry fit than the MWC.

Comment

• No real new info, but interesting interview Steve McIntosh has with President Bardo. They discuss future of the University, athletic department and conference alignment. Bardo mentions that they're watching what goes on with the Big XII expansion and the shake-up that may result from that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
        Both the Big XII and Pac XII are being chased by the P4 poachers which eventually will expand to 16 teams per.
        The Big XII is stronger than the PAC XII and should take ASU, UofA, Utah, and Colorado. If they don't and instead take a Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston, etc, they will implode and cease to exist while teams like UT, OU, (and KU) get poached by SEC and B1G. The former AAC teams will then rejoin their old conference.
        IMO, regardless of which direction the Big XII goes, WSU should focus on joining the AAC, as it will be the strongest non P4 (16 teams per) conference once everything shakes out, and represents a better time zone and rivalry fit than the MWC.
        I hate to break this to you, but when the Big XII almost imploded a couple of years ago, absolutely no one (SEC or B1G) wanted anything to do with either KU or K-State, so there's that for starters. Heck the PAC XII was not interested in them, either. They only wanted OU/UT and then whoever else they were forced to accept (perhaps OSU and maybe TTech).

Secondly, I don't think the Pac XII is going anywhere. And if they did, someone would prefer the Cali schools because of their large TV markets. Look, I love U of A, but the U of A would be more like KU/KSU and less like Cal, Stanford and etc.

Also, I don't see where you can make the claim that the Big XII would implode if U of H joined the league. You need to get out a little more. Both the presidents of UT and Tech have written position letters supporting UH's application for the Big XII. U of H is a tier-1 research institution and has an $800 million dollar endowment fund. In fact, Memphis is more of a poor step-sister in terms of its conference affiliation with the AAC, so you have that part correct. I have no idea where Cincy is in all this. I can say that UConn and U of H are probably top to bottom the two strongest AAC schools in terms of finances, quality of education and overall health of their sports programs.

Lastly, WSU has absolutely no chance in joining the AAC unless they bring back a D-1 football program as it is a conference requirement. When Alabama tried to job UAB a few years back (by trying to take out its FB program) their AAC membership was hanging by a thread (in fact pressure was being applied to encourage them to leave). Even though there is sentiment and support to re-starting the FB program at WSU, that would not be enough to garner AAC consideration. We would have to demonstrate we have a commitment to having a D-1 program and having the facilities that are required in order to be a competitive D-1 FB program.

I think the best hope for WSU is to see who will be invited to join the AAC when U of H leaves because the conference that the replacement school would be affiliated with would probably be more open to having discussions about WSU joining their conference. I think any talk about joining the AAC short term is probably out of the question because we are not prepared to make a commitment to field a D-1 football team. And that's unfortunate, because if the administration had been moving toward bringing the FB program back, we might have had a slight chance of getting that slot.
        Last edited by shocka khan; July 28, 2016, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• The Big 12 needs a few more schools from Texas, that would be great! The SWC was the best and most stable conference in America, nothing bad can happen with a Texas-centric conference!
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• There's an article on ESPN saying that Tulane is a possibility for the Big XII. I find that scenario pretty unlikely, but it would be a dream for us in the crazy event that the AAC got poached, opening the door for Wichita State to come in, and it didn't involve Cincinnati or Memphis leaving.

Comment

• Someone explain how AAC losing a team helps WSU.

They have 11 right now and don't want us to make 12.

If they lose one to go to 10, do we think they love that odd number enough to take us?

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                I hate to break this to you, but when the Big XII almost imploded a couple of years ago, absolutely no one (SEC or B1G) wanted anything to do with either KU or K-State, so there's that for starters. Heck the PAC XII was not interested in them, either. They only wanted OU/UT and then whoever else they were forced to accept (perhaps OSU and maybe TTech).

Secondly, I don't think the Pac XII is going anywhere. And if they did, someone would prefer the Cali schools because of their large TV markets. Look, I love U of A, but the U of A would be more like KU/KSU and less like Cal, Stanford and etc.

Also, I don't see where you can make the claim that the Big XII would implode if U of H joined the league. You need to get out a little more. Both the presidents of UT and Tech have written position letters supporting UH's application for the Big XII. U of H is a tier-1 research institution and has an $800 million dollar endowment fund. In fact, Memphis is more of a poor step-sister in terms of its conference affiliation with the AAC, so you have that part correct. I have no idea where Cincy is in all this. I can say that UConn and U of H are probably top to bottom the two strongest AAC schools in terms of finances, quality of education and overall health of their sports programs.

Lastly, WSU has absolutely no chance in joining the AAC unless they bring back a D-1 football program as it is a conference requirement. When Alabama tried to job UAB a few years back (by trying to take out its FB program) their AAC membership was hanging by a thread (in fact pressure was being applied to encourage them to leave). Even though there is sentiment and support to re-starting the FB program at WSU, that would not be enough to garner AAC consideration. We would have to demonstrate we have a commitment to having a D-1 program and having the facilities that are required in order to be a competitive D-1 FB program.

I think the best hope for WSU is to see who will be invited to join the AAC when U of H leaves because the conference that the replacement school would be affiliated with would probably be more open to having discussions about WSU joining their conference. I think any talk about joining the AAC short term is probably out of the question because we are not prepared to make a commitment to field a D-1 football team. And that's unfortunate, because if the administration had been moving toward bringing the FB program back, we might have had a slight chance of getting that slot.
                Your response is very perfunctory, or in the least not very knowledgeable.

--earlier expansion intent was not to grow to a 4 League 16 team Super P4. If B1G expands to 16, KU will be a likely choice (AAU, academics, basketball)
                -- yes, WSU would need to add football to join AAC. For me, that was a given, though I'd be very happy to see WSU join the AAC without. Just believe it's a long shot.
                -- PAC is weak. Bad TV revenues... Probably worse than Big XII
                -- both PAC and BXII are ripe for poaching. Whoever is aggressive will survive. The other will not.
                -- some talk of UofA and UCLA interested in the BXII.
                -- UT supports Hou (at least publicly) due to UT expansion in Houston and political deal making. What UT supports privately is another story
                -- IF BXII takes Hou, Cincy and Mem, it will not survive and open doors for PAC to poach teams from BXII

Not sure about "getting out more" but perhaps you could read more (and not only message boards)

Thus Endeth the Lesson for Shocka Khan. I suggest you research a bit more.
                There are a lot of various options/opinions but IMO, taking Hou, Cincy, and Mem is " bad medicine."

Comment

• ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

--earlier expansion intent was not to grow to a 4 League 16 team Super P4. If B1G expands to 16, KU will be a likely choice (AAU, academics, basketball)
                    -- yes, WSU would need to add football to join AAC. For me, that was a given, though I'd be very happy to see WSU join the AAC without. Just believe it's a long shot.
                    -- both PAC and BXII are ripe for poaching. Whoever is aggressive will survive. The other will not.
                    -- UT supports Hou (at least publicly) due to UT expansion in Houston and political deal making. What UT supports privately is another story
                    -- IF BXII takes Hou, Cincy and Mem, it will not survive and open doors for PAC to poach teams from BXII

Not sure about "getting out more" but perhaps you could read more (and not only message boards)

There are a lot of various options/opinions but IMO, taking Hou, Cincy, and Mem is " bad medicine."
                    Well put. Novel idea, researching other than message boards. Good advice.

Comment

When Alabama tried to job UAB a few years back (by trying to take out its FB program) their AAC membership was hanging by a thread (in fact pressure was being applied to encourage them to leave).
                      UAB has never been in the AAC.
                      "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

And you're about as truthful as Hollary Clinton or Donald Trump. I can't help anyone who is as clueless as you are. Goodbye.

Comment

And you're about as truthful as Hollary Clinton or Donald Trump. I can't help anyone who is as clueless as you are. Goodbye.
                          An opinion, Shocka Khan is not based on truth. It is a subjective viewpoint generally based on deductive reasoning.
                          Therefore, while you would have been better served to write you don't agree with my opinion because of (insert your reasoning), you mistake the difference between truth and opinion.
                          My critique of your counterpoint post is that you stated an opinion based on weak reasoning and therefore I was trying to educate you and offer a different viewpoint.
                          As far as being "clueless" it appears it is only clueless in your mind as you seem to be insecure to view and/or accept different possibilities. In the world of conference realignment, there are so many unknowns and possibilities, that only a fool would bet their life savings on a specific outcome.

Comment

An opinion, Shocka Khan is not based on truth. It is a subjective viewpoint generally based on deductive reasoning.
                            Therefore, while you would have been better served to write you don't agree with my opinion because of (insert your reasoning), you mistake the difference between truth and opinion.
                            My critique of your counterpoint post is that you stated an opinion based on weak reasoning and therefore I was trying to educate you and offer a different viewpoint.
                            As far as being "clueless" it appears it is only clueless in your mind as you seem to be insecure to view and/or accept different possibilities. In the world of conference realignment, there are so many unknowns and possibilities, that only a fool would bet their life savings on a specific outcome.
                            https://youtu.be/xk6Bp3gi_7s

Comment

• How You Know Your Athletic Department is in Trouble
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Good grief.

Comment

Working...
                                X